Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Honeycomb aeronautical released?

Got mine last night---very nice quality!

Asus P6T deluxe v.2 MB, i7 940 3.5ghz CPU, 6gb ddr3 1600 Ram, ,1K watt Antec PS, 300gb 10k rpm vraptor HDD, Windows 7pro 64, nvidea 470 GTX, Track IR4, Matrox TH2G w/21" displays, Saitek X52 pro hotas and yoke, CH pedels, Butt Kicker

Anybody come across a tear-down video please post.....   : )

Asus P6T deluxe v.2 MB, i7 940 3.5ghz CPU, 6gb ddr3 1600 Ram, ,1K watt Antec PS, 300gb 10k rpm vraptor HDD, Windows 7pro 64, nvidea 470 GTX, Track IR4, Matrox TH2G w/21" displays, Saitek X52 pro hotas and yoke, CH pedels, Butt Kicker

On 7/7/2019 at 1:26 PM, tutmeister said:

Actually they are not. You can buy a basic if sensor for pennies but then you need to figure out the design changes to incorporate it into the place where you would have had a pot. You also need to buy a small rare earth magnet to go with it and also incorporate that into your design too. Then you need to make sure it is calibrated and this calibration needs to be stored in the device controller. All of this in a product that has motion that does not lend itself well to being measured by rotational measuring sensors. Add all this up and there is more cost and hassle than you would think to changing to hall sensors and keeping cost down.

The other alternative is to buy a hall effect position sensor that comes in a form factor that is like a pot. This allows direct exchange, however these are not cheap, they are many times the cost of a basic pot. Also not available in a linear form like pots used in a lot of yokes.

I can understand why they wanted to avoid them because, although preferred, they take some work getting them successfully incorporated into a design.

Chris

I upgraded my CH yoke with a Hall effect kit. $14. I don't call that expensive and that was a retrofit kit. To have it included in the design and to purchase them at the scale of this product it would probably be less than $5 additional cost. So why stick with scratchy old pots?

Notwithstanding that it is good to see reports coming through that it is a quality product in other respects.

Edited by cowpatz

Cheers

Steve Hall