Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

18 minutes ago, Matthijs said:

By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.”

Remember that wording....It will be important in the future. It will most likely be the best flight sim game and not the best Flight sim experience. For us here in the US MS will most likely get an award from JD Powers....lol!!

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Imagine 10 years MS Flight simulator was dead in the water, then P3D happened and FSW. Now we might be back in full glory with Microsoft Flight Simulator. I am cautiously optimistic because we  have little to no details. But a Flight Sim looking like that, I am all in on day one, because we deserve it. It’s about time we get to have “next gen” graphics as well as great physics.

My thoughts on this new sim:

The graphics are incredible.  Satellite scenery!  This is the sim we've all been dreaming of for DECADES.  If the whole world is covered in the level of detail shown in the video (and not just a few select areas) I will buy this sim even if it costs $5,000.  Good bye land class scenery, it was nice knowing you.  If 3rd party add-ons are available from day one, even if they are just ports of existing add-ons from the likes of PMDG, Leonardo, Majestic, and FSLabs, I will buy this sim even if it costs $10,000.  

Now, to allay the fears of some of the less technically-savvy members here:

Those of you worrying about "this is an XBox game" obviously don't follow the gaming industry.  The reference to "XBox Game Pass" does not make this an XBox game.  XBox Game Pass is simply a gaming subscription service which Microsoft has just introduced, and covers both PC AND XBOX games.  

Those of you making reference to the infamous FSX "bullshot": answer these questions for me:

1) what does the phrase "capture in real-time 4k" mean in the context of video?

2) where is the disclaimer that states the video is anything other than live capture?

3) by how many orders of magnitude is the complexity (i.e. difficulty) increased when "faking" a video vs. a single still image?

Re: performance

Specifically, those lamenting the early days of FSX performance - we've come a long way since that time.  FSX was a bit of a special case, having been developed for PC hardware that never came to fruition (10GHz Pentium 4).  No doubt this new sim does not use ESP, so all the legacy code that held back previous MS flight simulators is now officially dead and gone.  

I could go on and on here but I'll leave it at that for now.  

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mir // Flightbeam said:

The fact that it's also being released on XBOX indicates either no third party add-ons, or licensed add-ons which will cost developers. We've been down this path before, so I will be cautiously pessimistic. 

Nice visuals though!

I’m not so sure about that, they learned lessons from the past. The focus is on the PC version first btw. 

Edited by Matthijs
  • Like 2

Can't wait to play this on my Xbox One X on the big screen in 4K. The graphics in the trailer look amazing!

Agreed with the statements above. Won’t hold my breath on this one. It’ll be cool none the less but I don’t see how it will integrate with hardcore simmers...

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

9 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

XBox Game Pass is simply a gaming subscription service which Microsoft has just introduced, and covers both PC AND XBOX games.

If this new flight sim is subscription only, count me out.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Really hoping this is the sim we have been waiting for since 2006. Truly looks amazing!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I understand the people being cautious or pessimistic, given their track record. However, I think in this case, we can actually source something good from MS Flight; It was a valuable lesson for Microsoft. A lesson in what the flight community is and what it wants. Also understand that 'arcade flying' does not sell. These platforms lives and dies by third party support, how many developers you get on-board and how easy it is to develop for them. I'd be very surprised if they pulled a Flight 2.0 and just made a right hash of it. I'll give Microsoft some form of credit in that department.

The visuals, the scope, the fact that it's the entire world and focus on what has been gaining a lot of traction in the flight community over the past few years (sat scenery), are a nice indicator of them listening. As far as I understand, they've already talked to a handful of key developers in the flight simulation community, which is another important step.

I actually have a lot of confidence in this product. However, that probably stems from the fact that I want it to succeed. I want a platform with a large studio behind it, with some serious heft and built on a brand new engine. I'm getting so tired of the current platforms, they all have their issues that I seem to constantly fight with or that annoy me. Hell, only one platform has some weather representation through addons that doesn't make my toes completely curl up and we're in 2019 now. It's getting tiresome.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Greggy_D said:

If this new flight sim is subscription only, count me out.

XBox Pass allows you to play their whole library of games for a monthly subscription instead of buying the game. But you can buy the game as well like any other store. Which model you chose is up to you.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Those of you making reference to the infamous FSX "bullshot": answer these questions for me:

1) what does the phrase "capture in real-time 4k" mean in the context of video?

2) where is the disclaimer that states the video is anything other than live capture?

3) by how many orders of magnitude is the complexity (i.e. difficulty) increased when "faking" a video vs. a single still image?

Well, just to play Devil's Advocate on these questions and more for the purposes of information and understanding than an accusation or anything else, the phrase 'capture in real-time 4K' does not necessarily mean 'captured at full 100 speed', i.e  it could theoretically have been captured in 4K realtime (i.e. recorded), but recorded whilst running the sim at less than 100 percent speed in 4K. Recording footage of products with all the whistles and bells on at less than full speed and then playing back speeded up to look like regular full speed, is a technique which quite a few product videos and reviews use. Now, I'm not saying I know this is what was done, just that it is something which could be done.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Outstanding! I'm all in favor of this, if only because it might light a fire under Austin to push some of the features we've been waiting for in X-Plane, like better weather and ATC.

Stirring the pot is good. Competition is good.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Airline2Sim said:

Looks amazing. But let’s wait for the detail. What’s the deal with ‘the cloud’ anyway? Is this a way of delivering graphics that are rendered elsewhere and what - it streams to your PC? 

Probably done like outtera which streams the terrain over the net to save on HDD space it allows for highly detailed global scenery even global photoreal in a small install package

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

14 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

This news has me both excited and nervous ... however I would like to know more about "close collaboration with the community" ... it must have been a community of one?  Does anyone know what community MS has been working with?

I would love to see this product succeed IF it has a robust well documented SDK ... count me in.  But I'm not sure how Azure servers could stream that high quality world scenery across "normal" end user bandwidth, that's A LOT of data to stream and well beyond current ISP offerings for home users especially with the claim of covering the entire globe!  But wow that video is pretty staggeringly good, if MS can deliver it's a new era for flight simulation.

Cheers, Rob. 

Rob outtera has been doing this for many years

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.