Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

Community: We need a completely new flight simulator on a modern engine that delivers visuals and performance like [name of modern game].  We're sick of this 15 year-old engine!

Microsoft: Announces FS 2019

Community: Nah...

Just another day among the flightsimmers...

• Like 16
  • Upvote 10

From the description at the new website, it appears that the entire world will be available:

Microsoft Flight Simulator is the next generation of one of the most beloved simulation franchises. From light planes to wide-body jets, fly highly detailed and stunning aircraft in an incredibly realistic world. Create your flight plan and fly anywhere on the planet. Enjoy flying day or night, and face realistic, challenging weather conditions.

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

Nope, I haven't, real time does not  mean the same as 'at full speed', real-time refers to it being recorded on the fly, as opposed to being rendered.

I understand that you are playing devil's advocate, what odds do you give your hypothesis?

2 hours ago, nehuge6348 said:

Now before everyone just freaks out, take this with a grain of salt.  If they didn't learn from their BOMB called "Flight", and the actually LISTEN to their fan base, this will not be an arcade game that flops, but a real real sim.  Crossing my fingers.

There is no mass market for "Real sims" today. People want something they can jump in and fly, with no studying anything. This new MS sim  might attract those people especially X box owners. Simmers will look at this the same way they looked at Flight when it came out... 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

5 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I understand that you are playing devil's advocate, what odds do you give your hypothesis?

I'm not in a position to know if it's correct or not, I'm just pointing out that it is a possibility. Let's just say it wouldn't be the first time a computer game or simulation has been previewed looking fantastic only to end up running like a slideshow on Joe Average's computer. But, then again, it might be utilising some new GPU display technique we've never heard of, who knows?

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hmmm...this just got interesting.  LM may have to skip P3D V5 and get working on P3D V10!

That said, if I can't fly my FSL A319/320 I'm not sure what I would do....although that NEO does look pretty😄  We do all remember how "realistic" the default aircraft were in FSX...right???😕  I still look forward to seeing and hearing more about this new sim as the promo was admittedly jaw-dropping..  It does seem like a bit of irony that this happened during FS Expo....

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

1 hour ago, Sethos1988 said:

PMDG Flamingos, $89

And $999.00 for the wings.

howevr

Just now, Chock said:

I'm not in a position to know if it's correct or not, I'm just pointing out that it is a possibility. Let's just say it wouldn't be the first time a computer game or simulation has been previewed looking fantastic only to end up running like a slideshow on Joe Average's computer. But, then again, it might be some new rendering technique we've never heard of, who knows?

Just throw a number out there. 

As for how this sim will run on "Joe Average's computer" I don't particularly care how well this sim runs on old or inexpensive hardware.  This is an expensive hobby and a brand new simulator is the perfect reason to upgrade one's rig.  

One thing I have been trying to see is how the pop-in looks. They don't have much time in the cockpit looking forward at the land in the distance.

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm not in a position to know if it's correct or not, I'm just pointing out that it is a possibility. Let's just say it wouldn't be the first time a computer game or simulation has been previewed looking fantastic only to end up running like a slideshow on Joe Average's computer. But, then again, it might be some new rendering technique we've never heard of, who knows?

I'll just back you up in saying that it is pretty common for these types of things to record the frames at some lower frame rate, and then play them back at 60 for these types of videos\demos.  Most often that is because the game\engine or what have you is not fully optimized since it is still in production.  I have no idea if that was this case for this one though.  I would not be surprised if they are reasonably close to a shippable "alpha" state.  When i saw an early version it was definitely interactive frame rates, although it didn't look as good.

• Like 2

First and foremost, we know nothing other than what the video shows us. Secondly, this is a great thing, people! Why be negative, we should all be excited of what this could become. Let's not forget that Microsoft is the one who started all of this back in 1982. Nobody knows better how to make a successful simulator than they do.

A lot will say yeah but what about Flight? None of us were on the inside, sitting at the long conference table. Maybe Flight was just an experiment all on it's own and had nothing to do with this new simulator. Maybe they were just testing some new technologies to see what worked and what didn't.

With this new version, if Microsoft did in fact build a new platform from the ground up, I think we have nothing to be worried about. It will use the latest technologies and the latest graphics engines and our computers will be just fine. I can play DCS just about full settings but nowhere near that in P3D or FSX. That stuff is just ancient code, we cannot compare what we are using now, these old simulators, to what can be done today.

What we can see in this video is all the things we have been wanting. Look at that lighting, look at those reflections. Those clouds, really? The satellite terrain with those cities holy moly! If I remember correctly there was a poll on AVSIM not too long ago about what feature we would most like in P3D and it voted pretty heavily on a new terrain engine.

From the looks of it, this is a rebuild from scratch. We will be starting over. This hopefully will take us through the next decade just like FSX did the last.

Edited by PWJT8D
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I hope for the best and will cheer and jump up and down in delight accordingly!

"No more FSX derivatives or deficient competitors!" I am so done with all that!

Better days ahead!

:smile:

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stonelance said:

Hi, been a while since i posted on here.  I've known about this for 2-3 years now and saw early prototype versions, but nothing recent.  As far as I know they have the code and content from FSX and Flight, but my guess is they aren't using the majority of the code, but maybe some of the content?  The satellite imagery was being used not just for imagery but also 3d geometry (like Virtual Earth\Google Earth).  At least from a scenery content standpoint I'm guessing it is going to be a much different beast than FSX and other existing sims.  It is nice to see how it is looking now.  I'm guessing this is a big part of the reason Dove Tail abandoned it's plans.

How did you know about this? Are you in the industry?

Yeah, it looks like some kind of virtual earth type of engine.

My memory is kind of vague but I think PMDG hinted about another simulator.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar