Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

5 hours ago, AdvancedFollower said:

Definitely Scarlett, as well as PC. The Xbox One is like a bargain bin budget laptop in terms of performance. The One X is only slightly better, but there's no way it's going to be able to push graphics like those. The next-gen will feature AMD Zen 2 architecture (which will be available to PC's this summer), ultra-fast SSD (possibly with Optane-like technology) and Radeon RDNA graphics comparable to a GTX 2070, so it will be similar to a high-end PC of today.

As for the new flight sim, I'm cautiously realistic. One can hope that Microsoft learned from the "Flight" debacle and DTG's failed attempts at making a DLC-driven, heavily monetized "flight game" rather than a "flight simulator". On the other hand, management has probably gone through many changes since 2012, so those who remember Flight might have left the company long ago.

The video looks stunning obviously, and it might very well be true that this is "captured in real time". However it's obviously only a small scenery area, with no simulator systems running. It doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the final product. Graphics frequently get downgraded from the E3 trailer, once the devs realize they need to leave some processing power and memory for an actual game, in addition to displaying pretty pictures (just google: e3 trailer downgrade).

Thank you my thoughts exactly definitely a scarlett release. boy a surprise!! shock this news is lol  

Edited by Silverbird

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

After watching the trailer footage, I checked to make sure it wasn't April 1.:)

Looks like super eye candy but probably little depth.

Been running FS since 1982, which, I suppose, explains my skepticism.

John

30 minutes ago, pracines said:

I don't think MS is stupid enough to once again rely solely on the gamer to sustain this (huge) project, only to fail again. It would be a foolish waste of time, effort, and money.

I think MS Flight, Flight School, and FSW lessons may have been learned. The gaming industry/gamers will simply not support a flight simulator under any circumstance.

You would think they would have learned the lesson from the last few times that didn’t end up making it and the reluctance that some of the higher end developers have to going to Steam based DLC to release their products, like PMDG and DoveTail. If it’s going to work out for the long term it has to have an SDK for 3rd party developers to work with and they need to be able to sell their addons on the open market like with FSX and P3D. If it’s a closed eco system it won’t work for the long term.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This will more than likely get released the same time or around the time Microsoft releases the new Console which they have already stated will support real time ray tracing.

My first reaction watching that video was "wow", and then I got hit with that "if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is" sentiment.

I remember when FSX was released and all the hype for it but then you needed a super computer to run it and the ensuing uproar.

And then there was Flight...

Hoping for the best for this one.

As a developer, we really need 1 sim that rules them all.  It's very difficult to try to support multiple different sims.

Still, I really hope the devs are open to the community, but I suspect they won't be if they remember what happened to the FSX developers (many of whom I suspect are still in hiding 🙂 )

Certainly this video gives us a million more questions than answers.

• Like 4

Just looking at the trailer I noticed a couple of things. May mean nothing or everything.

No Boeing jet airliners, only Airbus. 

All aircraft have the reg AS-MSGxx

Some scenery looks so similar to the just released ORBX Australia v2.

It looks stunning in 4K and in the official release it states:

Microsoft Flight Simulator (Xbox One And Windows 10 PC)
The next generation of our longest-running franchise, Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date. Microsoft Flight Simulator is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience. 
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/xbox-e3-2019-briefing-recap/#qd9ZYahgcYGwMGc8.99

I wonder which developers are involved?

I saw this trailer and I doubt it will be a sim of realistic flight simulation. It will be on PC but they will be putting it out on xbox on a later date which suggests that the planes may be rather simplified in terms of their controls. Will have to wait and see but I dont think microsoft is looking to make something for the flight sim community vs something that looks pretty for the general masses to hop right in and fly around without any real effort. 

Lets see if they do a Dovetail style charm-offensive towards the community... That might be a good indicator of their intended focus.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Lets see if they do a Dovetail style charm-offensive towards the community... That might be a good indicator of their intended focus.

What it does say is that Lockheed Martin, Laminar and some of the other new civilian sim efforts have caught their attention, which means a hobby that will last the rest of my lifetime, or until my fingers are stricken with arthritis, though not likely.  Even if that happens maybe VR will extend into a neuro interface which I suspect already exists in advanced weaponry and jets.  To pardon a pun for simming, the sky is the limit and I see a lot above the sky, so the sky really is no limit.  If you want to see what a modern sim engine can really do, and a modern physics engine, look at the No Limits 2 coaster sim or even Train Sim which has flying birds and fps that hit it out of the park.  I still only strive for 25-30 fps anyway if I get fluidity over high fps, and all the graphics options I want.  And I get that, listening to posts like Jim Young's recent suggestion to turn off Turboboost, which I feel is a cpu and power saver.  Even if I have goon eons without finding a tweak that works, if Jim recommends it, it works...

John

7 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

I just want something that is ready to go out of the box if you will. 

You’re asking too much.

It can take 1 dev a year to complete a major airport. 

If you want the base sim to have all that it’d be a subscription or...DLC

4 hours ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

For 3rd party developers, I think the scenery guys might not be needed in this carnation if satellite imagery and google like models are used

The airport scenery developers are safe for now

Edited by NZ255
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Gabshall said:

Could they use Azure for 'intelligent' ATC in a multiplayer environment?

IMHO ATC is the very worst area of current sims, decent AI ATC would be a definate + for me

• Like 1

Not sure if i was seeing correctly, but are those sloped runways at 1:24 on the video? looks pretty cool if it is?

8 hours ago, Woozie said:

Ah yeah, good ol' MS bashing, still en vouge...Just dont forget where we would be without MS and FS...

This thing is huge, and MS isnt going for a quick cashgrab, thats for sure. They own high res satellite imaginery covering the entire world and have enormous processing power available with Azure cloud. Ground textures...autogen...high fidelity weather depiction, real world traffic, it could all be done in the cloud. This could be real next gen my friends!

Now lets see how quick the major addon devs jump on this one, but i'm excited

That's certainly the positive spin. I really hope you're right... although I'll remain cautiously pessimistic.

I see a couple of people in here, saying that the Flight Simulator, covers the entire world?! Where does it say that?

My big worry with this (apart from an SDK (or a missing one!) and a locked file-structure) is that this will be more like DCS. Some highly detailed (satellite-covered areas), with one or two included - the rest sold as DLC's...

Again, cautiously pessimistic. The bragging-material (what do you call it... Oh, 'Game Description') sounds a lot like what they wrote about Microsoft Flight... 

Oh, well - we'll see... the video does look incredible impressive! 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

That's certainly the positive spin. I really hope you're right... although I'll remain cautiously pessimistic.

I see a couple of people in here, saying that the Flight Simulator, covers the entire world?! Where does it say that?

My big worry with this (apart from an SDK (or a missing one!) and a locked file-structure) is that this will be more like DCS. Some highly detailed (satellite-covered areas), with one or two included - the rest sold as DLC's...

Again, cautiously pessimistic. The bragging-material (what do you call it... Oh, 'Game Description') sounds a lot like what they wrote about Microsoft Flight... 

Oh, well - we'll see... the video does look incredible impressive! 

From the description of the trailer:

"Coming 2020, Microsoft Flight Simulator is the next generation of one of the most beloved simulation franchises. From light planes to wide-body jets, fly highly detailed and stunning aircraft in an incredibly realistic world. Create your flight plan and fly anywhere on the planet. Enjoy flying day or night and face realistic, challenging weather conditions. "

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB