Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

11 minutes ago, IG_ said:

Why do you think the simulator looks like an impossible goal? Is it because of the graphics?

This level of detail in computer video game graphics has long been achieved and running this level of fidelity can be done with reasonably priced consumer parts, you don't need a super computer.

Well, yes. You do know how P3D and X-plane look, right? Before saying P3D runs on an ancient engine... X-plane doesn't. And it doesn't look anywhere near what I just saw in the video. We also had many many posts why flight sim doesn't look like Battlefield or GTA.

But if the final product actually looks like this and it will have the features a serious flight simmer wants, well, I'm all in! It will be glorious!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

runs on an ancient engine... X-plane doesn't

Yes it does.

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

This probably took most developers and simmers by surprise (and probably changed the mood a bit at FSExpo) 🙂

It looks to me like a monthly subscription with possibly the scenery streamed. Third-party partnerships will be in the realm of paying for an SDK/Royalty etc, although I'm just speculating, because we really know very little about it. Third-time lucky, I'm hopeful Microsoft know what they're doing this time. It's hard to analyse the video really as they've obviously only showed the best bits (the custom 3D model cities), and being a game trailer, there is probably some artistic license in there, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't stunning.

If anything, it should be a wake-up call to Laminar Research who have been riding a wave of increased popularity lately, only to have this bombshell dropped on them. LM, I'm not too worried about, it's a different market and niche. iPacs additionally can't be feeling too great about this news as well. Laminar Research have ignored requests for too long on improving glaring visuals and many other issues, and kudos to Microsoft for seemingly appearing out of nowhere and doing something better.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

Well, yes. You do know how P3D and X-plane look, right? Before saying P3D runs on an ancient engine... X-plane doesn't. And it doesn't look anywhere near what I just saw in the video. We also had many many posts why flight sim doesn't look like Battlefield or GTA.

But if the final product actually looks like this and it will have the features a serious flight simmer wants, well, I'm all in! It will be glorious!

I think the biggest hurdle with achieving the visuals we saw is the amount of actual human labor it will take. Covering scenery from all around the world is no easy task. Games like Battlefield or GTA, relatively speaking, create small worlds. This is also ignoring the amount of physical space these sceneries need to occupy on your storage.

I guess that's what the "Powered by Satellite Data and Azure AI" at the beginning of the trailer is referring to. The computers are probably helping a lot in creating the pretty looking scenery we just saw and the humans just polish it up.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I'm wondering after the abandonment of FSX and what happened with FLIGHT, what Microsoft's financial incentive would be to go down this road again.....

How about marketing - a showcase of what Azure AI can do? They have been promoting it for the last 6 months as the next generation of business intelligence, machine learning and whatnot. That would explain the prominent use of the term in the initial presentation, knowing that from the actual target audience for a flight sim few people will be aware of what it actually is. That will also generate a lot of search requests about it on the net, which are always welcome.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2

LORBY-SI

Well.....

I've grabbed some high-res screenies so you can nitpick away, and drool as well. Lots good and some interesting observations to be had, such as this is real Google-earth type scenery with buildings that apparently to not have night illumination. I see street lights that illuminate the buildings instead, but no glowing windows.

KcQyGy.jpg

YlS7ds.jpg

F26PrF.jpg

YEUJQE.jpg

pcgHbZ.jpg

iQ58uj.jpg

CRI3Sl.jpg

YHcrWp.jpg

JPAgOv.jpg

kkjUij.jpg

VJ89KK.jpg

3b5IGH.jpg

L9WGR5.jpg

tdqaxc.jpg

XPwbPR.jpg

XN3k8h.jpg

8jmCRQ.jpg

NKlmVK.jpg

4INz6r.jpg

i2h0Rj.jpg

AfSmxf.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, Montie said:

MS has announced that all future releases will be available through Steam and their own store.

Thank god, that is so much better.

Dropping in here screens from the official site too.

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_001-1.jpg

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_002-1.jpg

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_003-2.jpg

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_004-1.jpg

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_005-1.jpg

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_006-1.jpg

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_007-1.jpg

Edited by france89

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

SONY APPLE and GOOGLE are all working on there own streaming platform, this is Microsoft getting in first the PC Game pass will be available first now, a survey on steam some time ago found that most gamers still use a desktop PC.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I can't see anything wrong with monthly subscriptions, provided the price is acceptable.

That's actually the best approach for an unstable / bi-polar simmer like me... and mostly what I use whenever I install P3D using the dev 1 month license 🙂

Regarding the quality of this flight simulator, it's so so early to be able to comment on it with informed talk that I just hope it drinks from where MS FLIGHT flushed... 

MS FLIGHT FDM was ahead of FSX. That would be a great start.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The transponder code on the airbus is 2019... i'm not sure whether to be excited that it might hint at a 2019 release, or disappointed that the transponder allows the entry of a 9...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Titles will be available from next month for the PC game pass which went live yesterday.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bryn said:

The transponder code on the airbus is 2019... i'm not sure whether to be excited that it might hint at a 2019 release, or disappointed that the transponder allows the entry of a 9...

It’s a 2020 release.

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Ehehehe !  😎

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, Egbert Drenth said:

And why is that 'for sure'?..

Microsoft particularly hasn't a good track record regarding their Flight Sim products, compared to others.
In the past they released a version and if you were lucky 1 patch after a year, fixing only a few issues.
After that it was: 'good luck, this is all you gonna get'. 
Also their 'Flight' release was abandoned after a year or so, just like that.

Did you follow MS closely over the last 5-7 years? After several fiascos and market losses, they completely revamped their internal structure and product portfolio and many key positions have been replaced. Within just a few years they became market leader in global map data (Bing), run the most powerful cloud computing environment (Azure) and completely reshaped their console business and gaming platform. They mean business again, and based on how they radically changed their long term strategy, i'm pretty confident that this isnt going to be another "Flight", which was merely a test balloon for free2play gaming in general. 

After the last title was simply called "Flight" they put the "simulator" part back into the title, i dont think this is just a marketing stunt

Edited by Woozie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7