Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

Ray, you know better than that. This is an initial announcement so I'm sure all the things you're interested in aren't gelled at this time. Patience grasshopper. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

13 minutes ago, tonywob said:

The colouring in the mountains will be familiar to anyone who has generated orthos before, as it seems there is some colour banding going on. What this means in practice is that just like with any ortho-based scenery, shadows, seasons, sunlight, rain etc are all baked into the scenery and don't change. I'm sure we'll find out more in the coming months what the engine is capable off 🙂

The number of earth mapping satellites in orbit has been increased significantly over the last few years, its now (theoretically) possible to obtain up to date high res imaginery every couple of days, covering 90% of earth. Although the processing of this raw data takes enormous amounts of processing power, but the data is already available. 

This, combined with machine learning image manipulation as shown by NVIDIA research, could lead to "clean" satellite imaginery with no clouds, corrected colors and even seasons. Its quite amazing how much progress has been made in this regard 

Edited by Woozie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry I never asked for anything for myself, more for their future customers as a whole. And it makes sense to offer something more substantial otherwise we end up with this type of thread. So I guess all I’m trying to say is that it could be preventable. I may be just naive.  

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

6 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

Ray, you know better than that. This is an initial announcement so I'm sure all the things you're interested in aren't gelled at this time. Patience grasshopper. 

Rick, I wasn't intending to participate in this but because the discussion mentioned whether an SDK would be available I wanted to voice my thoughts. To offer no details with the launch of the video is a little remiss don't you think? They know that is one thing that many will want the answer to.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
spelling
  • Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think this will be a big talking point at Cosford show.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 minutes ago, antonvs said:

Sorry I never asked for anything for myself, more for their future customers as a whole. And it makes sense to offer something more substantial otherwise we end up with this type of thread. So I guess all I’m trying to say is that it could be preventable. I may be just naive.  

I get what you are saying. But let’s be honest. Their teaser did exactly what it was designed to do which is to generate buzz! I’d say it worked...at least in this little slice of the world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris

2 minutes ago, antonvs said:

And it makes sense to offer something more substantial otherwise we end up with this type of thread. So I guess all I’m trying to say is that it could be preventable. I may be just naive.  

No, this is marketing 101. You drip feed information, you let users get hyped, them them soak up and absorb a limited amount of information, then you slowly release more information to constantly stoke the fire. This is exactly how marketing works, this is exactly how pretty much every game has been teased and launched for over a decade now. It doesn't actually make any sense to drop every single shred of information at once, it's information overload and creates a huge bubble of hype that isn't maintained for over a year, which makes people lose interest much faster.

There is nothing wrong with discussions, speculation and guessing when it comes to hype / marketing campaigns, it's what they want 🙂

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Without an SDK and the ability to fly without an internet connection it’s a non-starter for me. Outright purchase too. No subscription. It will take years for 3rd party developers to produce the quality aircraft we currently have in P3D even assuming there’s an SDK.

I will stay loyal to L-M. They will respond to this announcement and it could well speed up improvements.

I too am loyal to LM, I think P3D will make an announcement soon and I'll be on board. 

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It will take years for 3rd party developers to produce the quality aircraft we currently have in P3D even assuming there’s an SDK.

And it will take decades for a certain 3rd party developer to produce a new Concorde for the Microsoft Flight Simulator... 😈

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Afterburner said:

And it will take decades for a certain 3rd party developer to produce a new Concorde for the Microsoft Flight Simulator... 😈

Slip of the finger? L-M surely but I do take your point over the time it takes to produce quality aircraft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I just watched the promo video and wow it looks amazing!  I know we don’t know much at this point but i find it hard to understand the negativity based on watching that video.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

39 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

No, this is marketing 101. You drip feed information, you let users get hyped, them them soak up and absorb a limited amount of information, then you slowly release more information to constantly stoke the fire.

It appears to me, based on the promo video, the simulator is polished and ready for release.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Come to think of it, it would actually be quite amazing (and on the same note - too much to hope for...), if Microsoft secretly have worked with FSDT, Aerosoft, PMDG etc on this project 😄 

18 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

It appears to me, based on the promo video, the simulator is polished and ready for release.

It does look fairly finished... at least from the 'bits' we've seen in the released material. 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

We have been given a look into the future and it looks absolutely incredible!

Looking at the trailer you could tell almost instantly that it was from MS, it just has that certain look about it from the lighting somewhat similar to msflight but much more refined.

From a business standpoint MS knows that the success and longevity of its FS titles came from third party developers.

MS can give us the world but the third part devs give us the detailed content.

You can expect and count on there being an SDK for developers.

The future is very bright indeed!

• Upvote 1

I think it looks great and will buy it on release alongside a new computer. I'm out of the "hard core simming scene" because of job and family obligations at this time in my life, so a fun and graphically realistic flying game is 100% what I want and need right now.

Since FSX I've always been more interested in the geography aspect of the sim engine, than the flight simulation. Now that they include 3D satellite imagery mapping of cities one can finally do a bit of virtual exploring. The current autogen rendering has always left me unsatisfied for urban areas. I'm guessing there will be a limited coverage of real sattellite imagery and realistic airports, and that 99% of the planet will still be rendered with some kind of autogen/landclass system. That's fine by me. Don't really need Siberia and Sahara in full detail. 

Now, lets hope MS doesn't drop the ball on this before they've kicked into gear. Lets hope they're getting back into it for the long haul.

Edited by simmerhead
  • Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!