Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

1 minute ago, yidahoo said:

Which kind of put's doubt about Microsoft's claim to have engaged with the community during the development. 

Considering they have their own solution for what OrbX provides, doesn't really make much sense to be closely working with them. I'm sure they approached the developers they found relevant.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

Which kind of put's doubt about Microsoft's claim to have engaged with the community during the development. 

There is more to the 'community' than OrbX. 

• Like 7

Watching that video and with the likely techniques they are using, I don’t see why they would reach out to somebody like OrbX at all.

If there’s an add on solution and roadmap in the future, especially for things like more low level airport detail, I’m sure OrbX will get onboard. 

The reality is that a company like Microsoft, with their resources, data and cloud computing infrastructure can approach scenery in a way that no smaller shop like OrbX can touch. 

The technology and implementation is possibly making a big leap here. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

Agreed why would you work with somebody if your product is supposedly better than theirs. They don’t need ORBX if they are using ortho scenery for almost everything

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

If you look through the videos/screenshots, it's clearly ortho based (with what appears to be AI generated autogen). For this to be worldwide coverage, it has to logically be online/streamed only, surely? 

Makes sense, Google Earth is capable of some amazing scenery and 3d building reproduction at horrendously high framerates with nary a stutter.  The fly in the ointment of course are the immersion features sims need to satisfy the consumer--life in the world (planes, trains and automobiles to start with, which we already have), little blades of grass blowing in the propblast, and especially, cloud shadows, the bumps and burbles of the air as we fly, because that is how the air really feels in real flight. 

In my sims to make flight to feel as real as possible, I always set just a light bit of wind, with some random gusts, from some random or fixed direction.  I prefer it to real weather because I know upfront my flight will be interesting. 

The visuals displayed by Microsoft have been possible for some years now, but once one dumps the physics and the modeling of the atmosphere, unless you have efficient computer code that can recreate the big bang, one will not get the market's attention since the market expects the ante to be upped in order to replace their current products.

5 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

The visuals displayed by Microsoft have been possible for some years now, but once one dumps the physics and the modeling of the atmosphere, unless you have efficient computer code that can recreate the big bang, one will not get the market's attention since the market expects the ante to be upped in order to replace their current products.

Precisely why this is exciting - potentially a fully all new flight sim platform here, built from the ground up to use modern techniques and hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cubs105 said:

Orbx is definitely not working on this, I was at FSexpo this weekend and they were at the bar at the hotel when the news broke. I was there and saw their reaction to it all and I know for a fact they said they had nothing to do with it and were blindsided by it, along with every other developer at the expo

I'm curious. Did you poll every exhibitor at FSExpo to determine if they were approached by MS on this? I believe that if they were they would be under NDA and wouldn't broach the subject. 

I spoke to many of them and this was not a subject with any. I guess Orbix wasn't as discreet. 

At any rate, everything is mere conjecture at this point and opinions are opinions. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

3 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I'm curious. Did you poll every exhibitor at FSExpo to determine if they were approached by MS on this? I believe that if they were they would be under NDA and wouldn't broach the subject. 

I spoke to many of them and this was notCV a subject with any. I guess Orbix wasn't as discreet. 

At any rate, everything is mere conjecture at this point and opinions are opinions. 

Not every developer, that was at the expo, only a few of them after the news broke and everyone was surprised. Several people were trying to find contacts at Microsoft they could reach out to and find out more info. I truly only think that Aerosoft and a maybe one or two other developers were in the know. 

26 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Huh?

Those graphics were great for their time.

How old are you?

When you started off simming with these visuals then you can come to appreciate the above.

hqdefault.jpg

I've got an unopened copy of Flight Simulator II by Bruce Artwick in my hand right now. There's a screenshot on the back, whoever paid $80 for this knew what they were getting (or would have, if they'd ever opened it!).

It may be hard for the next generation to understand, but MSFS was a famous product that was considered to be one of the best showcases for what modern computers could do. Basically, a great tech demo even if you didn't fly it much. You didn't boot it up and then feel disappointed - you booted it up, and then showed your friends just what your new 286 (in turbo mode) could do!

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

20 hours ago, SKEWR said:

Not trolling. There is a NEW MS Flight sim shown at Electronics Expo (E3)!!!!

For Xbox. 😐

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

For Xbox. 😐

It's coming to Windows first

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

For Xbox. 😐

PC first (and they'd be crazy not to), and unlike Microsoft Flight the title actually includes Simulator. I've got high hopes.

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

Yes, but Xbox is a target platform.

No its not.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

A few interesting details I caught from the trailer:

• Terrain is clearly based on the Bing Map satellite imagery (compare the positioning of the verhicles on the parking lot)

K15XDrO.jpg

5NMePdo.jpg

• This vector-based river on the terrain looks kinda weird, don't remember these things being so blocky in FSX.

9Ds0LoV.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4