Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

I think that the only immediate impact of the MS announcement is that it will put a damper on add-on purchases for existing flightsims. Who wants to invest in new airports, scenery and utilities when in another 6 months or so, the existing flightsims could be outdated? MS controls both the Windows OS and the XBox constellation so no matter what platform is chosen, MS will have a major advantage over everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

On 6/9/2019 at 3:11 PM, ckyliu said:

@majuhFlight was limited to Hawaii, then you could buy a few other areas, I never heard of anything importing the world from FSX? There was no ILS, NDB, VOR when I tried it, is this something they added later as a pay feature? The weather I don't really recall. 

RE: nav capability: Flight had a great instrument capability for ILS/VOR approaches, but didn't have NDB or GPS. I believe there was also a scenario for the RV-6A flying the ILS into OGG on Maui if I remember  (been a while).

2 hours ago, Janov said:

I would like to close with the remark that up to the very end of the Microsoft franchise NONE of their simulators made it possible to even do a simple, basic maneuver as a side-slip in one of their default aircraft. I firmly believe that their new version will cater to and satisfy the part of the userbase that is more into eye candy and great scenery. But I am afraid that the serious simulation aviator will find this new entry lacking in other important aspects.

Just my personal opinion.

Jan

Sorry to contradict, Janov but I had no trouble performing slips in Microsoft Flight with the default aircraft, yoke, and rudder pedals.  But, this is in the past.

Just wanted to clarify.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

2 hours ago, adi518 said:

As far as performance goes, I'm sure if Aerofly figured it out, then so have Microsoft. P3D is outdated and nothing will really change that. The fundamentals are just bad. I was really surprised to find out Orbx has nothing to do with this. I also find it hard to believe MS is going to deliver complex aircraft with full systems, as we know how much time these things take to develop. Now, I also think I saw some mentions over collaborating with add-on creators. I believe FlyTampa and Flightbeam are involved, but I might be wrong. It's fun to speculate, but let's see what happens.

Nah, Mir said in this thread, he had no idea.

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

Just FYI 

@Pete Dowson is on vacation... 😂

Edited by Drumcode
  • Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hopeful, yet I hope they learnt from the numerous “flight simulator” themed franchises in the last 10 years when the last official Microsoft Flight Simulator version FSX is released.

Hope Microsoft learns from its own mistakes from Flight, and Dovetails Flight Sim World.

This new platform is only going to gain community support if proper 3rd party developers do their work (e.g. PMDG, FSL, Orbx etc), and Microsoft allow them to charge a fair price for what they put in without taking a monetary bite off their profit. 

No 3rd party development = dead in the water. 

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

1 minute ago, silentghostx said:

Hopeful, yet I hope they learnt from the numerous “flight simulator” themed franchises in the last 10 years when the last official Microsoft Flight Simulator version FSX is released.

Hope Microsoft learns from its own mistakes from Flight, and Dovetails Flight Sim World.

This new platform is only going to gain community support if proper 3rd party developers do their work (e.g. PMDG, FSL, Orbx etc), and Microsoft allow them to charge a fair price for what they put in without taking a monetary bite off their profit. 

If they'll have a real game changer which is a completely new simulator which will make people instantly drop P3D or XP, they'll dictate the market and find someone else who'll develop for their platform. Money talks.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

@Rob_Ainscough

All good stuff Rob.

I don't personally find it negative at all, especially since we are talking about something probably a full year from being released.  I definitely wouldn't expect the teaser video contents to be fully fleshed out at this time.

To me the rest of the visuals alone are enough to excited about for right now.

I personally think this will be 3rd party extensible and likely kill P3D for "academic" users in the long run.  To me this development is great, because as much as I love X-Plane, I'm getting tired of waiting for their under resourced development timelines.

I want much better weather and ATC and performance with modern hardware (and VR), etc, etc -- like yesterday.

Edited by irrics

Some odd tree stuff aside, here's what I'm looking at (in red circle)

The cityscape looks breathtaking..

MO44pBy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There may be some odd stuff here and there, but generally speaking, those trees and buildings and how it all goes together is - incredible...

DzuXhi9.png

oKvEPmr.png

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3

First off, I think that the future will be cloud based scenery ... and if MSFT are smart, they will allow for customized aircraft, scenery, and other utilities to plug into the engine and perhaps MSFT allows purchases of beyond base level scenery ... in effect becoming a competitor for Orbx and mesh providers ... or supporting those developers while maintaining some subscription flow in exchange for constantly updating real world features and incremental improvements that are delivered via the cloud...and I could also see how you could accommodate a cloud-based server for worldwide scenery that allows for localized customization by the development commnity. I am currently using a 2TB m2 drive and I find that exceeding 1GB in aircraft and scenery loadout is probably not the smartest path forward and when highly detailed environments like True Earth Netherlands occupy 70+ GB of space...all too early of course to know anything, but if they don't screw up the business model by failing to recognize the needs of the serious hobbyist, this looks (albeit in a preview) much better than any current flight environment I have seen.

• Upvote 2

Scott Robinson

19 minutes ago, silentghostx said:

You really think that in 2020, MS will not monopolize the DLC for this game? What major game developer allows tons of 3rd party DLC? That's where the money is. And seriously, MS is not DTG.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I do want to add one more point. It is very likely that along with the next gen XBox we will finally see a consumer VR headset with enough pixels per degree to be able to read the gauges in the VC. This game might be the often talked about mythical  app that finally brings VR into mainstream of gaming.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You really think that in 2020, MS will not monopolize the DLC for this game? What major game developer allows tons of 3rd party DLC? That's where the money is. And seriously, MS is not DTG.

What major game developer is developing a flight simulator? Not saying you are wrong, but we have to put it in perspective, they can't develop every aspect of the sim alone. 

But yes, I think they might choose with whom they are willing to work with (maybe the SDK won't be public) based on how good the developer is on a specific aspect. But will they ignore the the freeware creators? I don't think so...

I just hope that they go beyond just "opening it up" to third parties.

I'd love to see them get great third parties involved to create region packs of higher detail for airports for instance.

No offense to Orbx, but there's got to be a way to get highly detailed airports and not have every.  single.  one of them.  be a separate $20-40 purchase.  That just isn't great, especially to a wider audience.

Then again, I'll admit that even though I'm a real world GA pilot, I don't really need the absolutely extreme detail some add-on airports go to (like interior terminal modeling) either.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1