Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

You don't want to force a new player to use a PMDG aircraft.

That's a really good point too. I think a new simmer - even one who eventually would want to go PMDG - would be turned off of the hobby right away if you stuck him in a QOTS and told him "best of luck."

Orbiter makes that mistake. Even the "cheat" spacecraft Delta (it cheats because it has way too much delta-V unless it runs on Star Trek power sources) has an absurdly steep learning curve because spaceflight is hard. Just figuring out how to establish a circular orbit for the first time is brain-warping, and then you're supposed to figure out how to plot a lunar transfer orbit.

And so there are some hardcore nutjobs like me who figure out how to do all that stuff because we're hopeless nerds, but many, many more who "play" it for 10 minutes and realize they could better spend their time on something easier, like climbing Mount Everest. 😉

The Icon A5 in Flight was a pretty cool aircraft, even in Flight.  But you could buy a very similar aircraft, the Progressive Aerodyne SeaRey for a lot less money and get it right away.  Richard Bach bought one and blogged about it, eventually turning into a book, "Travels with Puff".

I really liked Microsoft Flight, but in the end it was too limited with the choice of aircraft and places to fly.  The four aircraft were excellent though and I'm looking forward to seeing the Icon, Maule, Stearman and Super Cub in the new sim.  

What I see in the video is an updated Flight with the entire world and more aircraft.  This wouldn't break my heart.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

19 minutes ago, LHookins said:

The Icon A5 in Flight was a pretty cool aircraft, even in Flight.  But you could buy a very similar aircraft, the Progressive Aerodyne SeaRey for a lot less money and get it right away.  Richard Bach bought one and blogged about it, eventually turning into a book, "Travels with Puff".

I really liked Microsoft Flight, but in the end it was too limited with the choice of aircraft and places to fly.  The four aircraft were excellent though and I'm looking forward to seeing the Icon, Maule, Stearman and Super Cub in the new sim.  

What I see in the video is an updated Flight with the entire world and more aircraft.  This wouldn't break my heart.

Hook

I don't think you need to worry too much.

Microsoft have given it their 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' name. That implies it will follow the format of previous generations of that name, in terms of flight-planning capability, complex aircraft and custom weather injection, etc.

It even uses the same font and style of previous generations of the title.

dfgfdgf.jpg

What remains to be seen, and is the edge of seat million, million dollar question is; will there be an SDK?

Edited by Guest

Windows 10 comes with the Windows Map 3D app already installed. Anyone can download and use it though on other devices.

It is quite amazing the detail of the 3D cities available of which there are over 200 available worldwide.

This gives us a glimpse of what we can expect and to imagine flying over these high res 3D cities and ortho imagery is quite exciting.

Did anyone else notice the grass in the African portion of the video?

Obviously the entire planet will not be covered by orthos but the parts that are not some of which appear to be nicely done with details like this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ganter said:

...will there be an SDK?

I don't think you need to worry too much.  

Whoever made the aircraft shown in the trailer, they obviously had an SDK.  Microsoft can't make all the aircraft needed and even in Flight they used third party aircraft, which was obvious if you recognized the names in the credits.

We'll eventually get an SDK in any case.  If there is not one available at the original release, that only means that any third party aircraft will have to pass a Microsoft quality check and given some of my purchases for FSX/P3D I'm happy to see that happen.

Hook

• Like 5

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 minutes ago, skully said:

This gives us a glimpse of what we can expect and to imagine flying over these high res 3D cities and ortho imagery is quite exciting.

Oh no!

Now I have to play it a few more times to watch for the grass!

Such misery... :smile:

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, skully said:

Windows 10 comes with the Windows Map 3D app already installed. Anyone can download and use it though on other devices.

It is quite amazing the detail of the 3D cities available of which there are over 200 available worldwide.

Obviously the entire planet will not be covered by orthos but the parts that are not some of which appear to be nicely done with details like this.

Matt Booty, the head of Xbox Game Studios, said they would be using the AI to fill in the gaps with bad data/imagery. That might mean the depiction of world will be really awesome. 

This is what he said:

We put up that little tag at the beginning about satellite data and Azure AI. I don’t know if you know how that works, but we’re taking satellite map data, which is amazing, because it covers the whole planet, but it has big limitations. Parts of the planet are covered at different levels of detail. In order to make a modern flight simulator at the fidelity you need, you need accurate data. We’re using machine learning to fill in the places where we don’t know more than what the satellite data tells us. We know this is a blank spot in the middle of Nevada. Here’s what the stuff around it looks like. We know what Nevada generally looks like. Now we’ll generate that procedurally. There’s a ton of cool stuff in Flight Simulator.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

A gentleman mentioned earlier that there might possibly be devs with a passion for flying involved with this project.

The Carbon Cub shown flying over the Flamingos is produced where? 

You guessed it, Washington.

Just now, skully said:

A gentleman mentioned earlier that there might possibly be devs with a passion for flying involved with this project.

The Carbon Cub shown flying over the Flamingos is produced where? 

You guessed it, Washington.

Does that confirm the use of AS in all the tail numbers I wonder...?

7 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

Just a few things regarding that youtuber I posted.

First, I commented what MSFS will likely be. The vid was just the first source making the same claims. I have come across 3 sources with the same claims. Where there is smoke there is fire. 47 pages I see now based on nothing but a short promo vid with all logic thrown out the window and any material outside of this one promo video smashed to pieces.

It's not about being negative, it's about being a bit more logical than looking at a few minutes of a promo clip and building a fantasy world around it.

The game is on Xbox, ummm...projected sales for an in depth flight sim on this platform would be??? 2-5??? Logic! It's the first thing that instantly suggests this will not be a FSX type replacement. Far more logical than assuming anything off the short promo video.

Regarding photographers and AA, AA has no relevance in digital photography whatsoever.

Regarding resolution, a mystical phenomenon to the world since digital began. Ridiculous we have masses of pixels in phone cameras and now we talk about 4k and 8k resolution. All this stuff is completely worthless to the vast majority of the people who will buy and use these displays and resolutions. People simply do not understand more resolution does not automatically mean better. We use inferior devices because there is no understanding of how resolution actually works. 

What MSFS will become, we will wait and see. 

Disagree. 

One, you are thinking with an outdated mindset regarding consoles. The fact that it may be playable on Xbox's next generation of consoles is not automatically a sign that it's going to be a an arcade game. That's not how things work anymore and Microsoft (along with others) are going for complete continuity across platforms now. 

There are also several clues in video that say this is not just a watered down FLIGHT with orthos. 

1) The mix of locations with satellite with land class being seen says this is a world wide simulator. 

2) There's AI traffic

3) There's ATC 

4) The functionality on the new Garmin GPS's appears to be at least somewhat substancial

5) The functionality of the A320 is enough that it was at least in a semi-realistic state in that pushback clip

6) The weather doesn't look like static scenes. The different formations we saw look like they are coming from some kind of engine. 

Everything we've seen so far looks like this will at least be as feature rich as FSX was. I think those saying otherwise are the ones who lack evidence. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

Correct, satellite imagery because people want real! It's not possible to do totally real at this point in time with computer graphics so MS now use photos to give the public what it wants. Satellite imagery will never match graphics but it's satellite imagery MS must now use because people just want and expect totally real. Well, it just can't be done and that's that.

With this decision, we must take all the pitfalls satellite imagery comes with.

If you've spent one minute in XP11 with orthos or P3D with Orbx's latest stuff, you know that the "pitfalls" of satellite imagery, while real, are far less than the unrealistic and ugly nature of most land class scenery. 

Of course, if you prefer the old style, the old simulators are still there for you to use. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bonchie said:

Everything we've seen so far looks like this will at least be as feature rich as FSX was. I think those saying otherwise are the ones who lack evidence. 

Agreed. I think it will be everything we're used to with the brand plus it will look good!

Microsoft have given it the name. 

Remember, when you first tried out simming with Flight Simulator there was a section in there; "Just get me flying". There'll be the same ability to hop in and flap or get in to some serious study-level aircraft payware, etc

Edited by Guest

At this point in the video, it looks like the green taxi lights are on a sloped taxiway as it leads off the runway

Then at this part of the video, notice how clean the roads are both the ability to see the arrows and read the lane info and also not photo real cars are on the road.

This is very promising.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bonchie said:

If you've spent one minute in XP11 with orthos or P3D with Orbx's latest stuff, you know that the "pitfalls" of satellite imagery, while real, are far less than the unrealistic and ugly nature of most land class scenery. 

Of course, if you prefer the old style, the old simulators are still there for you to use. 

You are looking at 2006 land class scenery and comparing to 2019 satellite imagery. You would need to see 2019 vs 2019 to make any type of realistic comment or at least have an understanding what 2019 vs 2019 could actually look like.

17 minutes ago, bonchie said:

Disagree. 

One, you are thinking with an outdated mindset regarding consoles. The fact that it may be playable on Xbox's next generation of consoles is not automatically a sign that it's going to be a an arcade game.

It will be available on Xbox One. That is the current console. Games that are cross platform need to appeal to users of both platforms. How and who using an Xbox One would want a complex flight sim??? They want arcade, rewards, challenges, multiplayer, blow things up!   

Edited by Skywatcher
  • Like 1

Mark Daniels