Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

Also - as it relates to scenery devs maybe quietly pushing some rumors out..

I get it - there is reason to be concerned right now.  I know this has totally changed all my FS related hardware & software purchase plans for the rest of the year/into 2020 as I wait to see what this will look like.  I'm sure I am not alone in that thought.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You can see quite clearly in the Launch Video there is Photo/ Ortho but also Scenery - as we know it. That means FSDeveloper isn't going to go out of business anytime soon and I can continue to make my Runways anywhere I choose.

It looks amazing. What I'm really really looking forward to is a departure from the Tyranny of Developers.  Charging us nearly $100 for planes. ENOUGH!

Time to bring this back in to reality! "Microsoft" will sigh on my lips as I fall asleep tonight - (they invented it, perfected it, and now have come back to it)

17 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

A friend thru FSElite ... I have no other sources of this rumor, hence my question .

Cheers, Rob.

Probably a bad idea for someone with ties to a competing product to be going around spreading rumors like this...  

5 minutes ago, ganter said:

I think we can safely discount that one then.

I hope you are right but it seems this crew is pretty much in agreement that this issue killed Flight. Many think that MS learned from that experience. Could be don't know. I guess I wonder why given that history MS did not come out and say they are supporting 3 party this time. Seems like they would know up front that this would be an issue.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 minute ago, irrics said:

I had this exact thought, especially as it relates to OrbX and with their TE WA product releasing in like a week.

It can't help at all that many out there are comparing Seattle in the trailer to Seattle in the TE WA videos they have on their site...and the trailer blows it away (as one would expect of a next gen offering being teased)

I'd say it's an unfair comparison, because comparing TrueEarth Washington to the Seattle in that trailer is like comparing a detailed drawing of a full car to an exact photograph of a small section of the car displayed on a high quality 4k monitor. The photograph will look more detailed because it's an exact copy of it (In this case, Seattle was taken from the air with lasers at some point in the past etc...), compared to something somebody did by hand. However, the entire state in TE Washington is more or less the same detail with no gaps, and from the MS trailer, we have very little idea what lies outside of Seattle and what it looks like, but I doubt it's all a 3D scan like you see there.... I hope my analogy makes sense here 🙂

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I hope you are right but it seems this crew is pretty much in agreement that this issue killed Flight. Many think that MS learned from that experience. Could be don't know. I guess I wonder why given that history MS did not come out and say they are supporting 3 party this time. Seems like they would know up front that this would be an issue.

Good point. But what we're really going to have to be fully aware of is the Devs; the vampires; they're talking amongst themselves and quite frankly they're crapping themselves as to how this is going to play out.

We saw smaller Devs "melting down" earlier in this thread, the big players; PMDG, A2A, etc have gone strangely quiet.

Microsoft is reclaiming this Simulator - that they made. 

I'll fly it - even if it's a house brick. Sod the Queen Of The Skies.

(Microsoft - You had me when the hangar doors opened...)

89ryewhf.jpg

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, ganter said:

there has to be a SDK.

And there always is, Microsoft has to create content too in a reasonable amount of time.

The question is if it will be closed, in-house, subcontractors only - or free for everyone, even those who use it to make money with the derivative works they create. That is not always tolerated. 

Btw. streaming - instead of using the disks, they could be doing predictive streaming to free memory too, most modern computers have a lot of it just floating around. If the scenery only needs rendering and all processing has been done beforehand, that could be pretty quick (but again doesn't leave any room for addons). Sure, memory is expensive currently, so again stuff to upgrade - but that would finally be an application that puts 64 Gig of RAM to good use.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

It wouldn't be a big surprise. They already had the idea of a subscription model and according to PMDG they requested that all external improvements would be a part of their code base if they would return in the market.

If they follow this idea of the purely subscription based model it would simplify the license mode and further allow more sophisticated tools that directly connect to their streaming modell. It is one of the options. You must not think ithas to be. Their reason for this project is different to your wishes. I don't really expect any useful end user interaction. This video by itself is simply destructive advertisement. They make the work for P3D and XP developers more difficult.

But we don't know how the finished product will really look like especially for such a "simulator" it is easy to fake sceneries. Parts of the real player are in fact nothing more than a sophisticated video player. Before we can really see large areas we can't really say anything. Their marketing department has to speculate how this project will look like in a year.

This is something we are no longer used to. P3D and Laminar don't really use a marketing department..

Edited by Longranger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ganter said:

We saw smaller Devs "melting down" earlier in this thread, the big players; PMDG, A2A, etc have gone strangely quiet.

Don't see any reason to bash Dev's. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, CarlHill said:

I messed around in Windows Maps today for quite a bit

1 hour ago, france89 said:

but not on Bing..

Wrong software, I believe guys. Try this instead: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/earth-view-map-3d/9nblggh1xnq7?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

...then try looking at Seattle, San Fran, Chicago, NYC or any of the major cities in the USA. Way to go - but quite the basis !

Edited by sjt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Quoting on FSelite:

Randazzo, along with other developers has made comments in reference to Microsoft’s decision to develop add-ons themselves rather than allowing third-party developers access to their platform, possibly in the hope to sway Microsoft to include the option for third-party development.

Source: https://fselite.net/news/pmdg-comments-on-msfs-trailer-release/

I don't understand why FSelite is doing such statement, Randazzo never said that so I am confused.

S.

15 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I'd say it's an unfair comparison, because comparing TrueEarth Washington to the Seattle in that trailer is like comparing a detailed drawing of a full car to an exact photograph of a small section of the car displayed on a high quality 4k monitor. The photograph will look more detailed because it's an exact copy of it (In this case, Seattle was taken from the air with lasers at some point in the past etc...), compared to something somebody did by hand. However, the entire state in TE Washington is more or less the same detail with no gaps, and from the MS trailer, we have very little idea what lies outside of Seattle and what it looks like, but I doubt it's all a 3D scan like you see there.... I hope my analogy makes sense here 🙂

Eh

We’ll see I guess 

As a consumer and born and raised Seattle person, I care about that city area being amazing, and it’s much better in the trailer. 

Again - TE looks very good...But I’m far more excited about the look of the trailer at this point. Just being honest. 

Excited to see videos of TE, but no plans to buy it anymore honestly. 

Edited by irrics

If no SDK, their sales would fall flat within a short time.  It wouldn't surprise me though for a mega corporation to make such a bad decision.

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

I don't understand why FSelite is doing such statement, Randazzo never said that so I am confused.

Probably just a misinterpretation of what he said.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Alright, I have some fun stuff for you guys but I am getting back to work; way too much time on this board today.

I am not going to post a linkedin link to anyone's profile but the person who is "Director of Technology" updated his profile showing in June 2019 he is in charge of the project.

Even more fun fact he is endorsed on linkedin by another "MS Project Manager" who has been there since 2013....6 years in the making for this flight sim?  Where did this project manager work before? Boeing interestingly enough, where he helped develop software to test aircraft.

• Like 4