Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

Some of the XP freeware is very nice.  Hopefully the new MSFS will allow that.  Without it, XP would still suck when it comes to global airport coverage.

2 minutes ago, irrics said:

And reviews all in one spot too!  Would be really really nice.

Ok, reviews are something I'd like to see everywhere else.  When I read a review, I don't care if the reviewer likes a product, I only care why *I* might like it, and if there's anything I need to know before purchase.

YouTube videos are usually pretty good for reading between the lines. 🙂

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just now, CarlHill said:

Some of the XP freeware is very nice.  Hopefully the new MSFS will allow that.  Without it, XP would still suck when it comes to global airport coverage.

Yeah - there a couple XP scenery devs that are sensational (like MisterX).

There's also about 95% of that is hot garbage honestly.  I totally hate having to go through the install/load sim/see if it's any good process, even when it's free.  It doesn't really help that the Org still hosts files that were for like X-Plane 8, etc.  That whole place needs a purge of the ancient stuff to help declutter and focus on what's actually good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LHookins said:

When I read a review, I don't care if the reviewer likes a product, I only care why *I* might like it, and if there's anything I need to know before purchase.

Can't you learn why "you" might like it from hearing about why the reviewer likes it?

Isn't that sort of what reviews can do really well?  lol

I agree with you about YouTube reviews. 

Edited by irrics

1 minute ago, irrics said:

Can't you learn why "you" might like it from hearing about why the reviewer likes it?

I've read a number of reviews where the author was gushing over a product that turned out to be something less than he was telling us.  I've read others where a reviewer hated a product that I found to be very good indeed.

If a reviewer likes a product and gives it an honest review, then the review is useful.  But I've also seen them gloss over problems... sometimes major problems.  I didn't pay enough attention and it resulted in a major regretted purchase.  And this was from a reviewer that I respected.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

2 minutes ago, irrics said:

Yeah - there a couple XP scenery devs that are sensational (like MisterX).

There's also about 95% of that is hot garbage honestly.  I totally hate having to go through the install/load sim/see if it's any good process, even when it's free.  It doesn't really help that the Org still hosts files that were for like X-Plane 8, etc.  That whole place needs a purge of the ancient stuff to help declutter and focus on what's actually good.

I used to not go through all of that pain because we all know how agonizing it is to wait on the archaic loading.  I just looked for screenshots on the gateway and decided whether or not it looks good enough.  Not really sure what is out there now since I quit a couple of years ago. Even if I jumped back in tonight, all of my addons are XP10 and I'm not paying a dime to upgrade them.

• Like 1

I think what I'm trying to say is, I want my purchased products curated, not my reviews. 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I think what I'm trying to say is, I want my purchased products curated, not my reviews. 😄

Hook

Good call - thx for clarifying and I agree with you.

Just like on Steam, I'd imagine there'd be reviews built in and of course also all over the internet also. 

On Steam, I get a good sense if something is worth my time just by that "are the reviews mixed or mostly positive" barometer, just as a starting point.  I've yet to find a game that had "mixed" reviews that weren't somewhat indicative of real issues that were worth looking into further.

Edited by irrics

Seriously, pleople need to get real;

I've been simming since the mid to late 90's and I'd love to have a new Microsoft Flight Simulator which keeps the status quo of buying a product, having it on my harddrive and making it look pretty by buying add ons for it like we do now.

Is it going to happen?.

Rockstar sold GTA V at launch for around $50-$60, makes around 1Billion in the the first few days, then Rockstar turn on Grand Theft Auto online and their microtransaction shark cards have earned them nearly triple/quadtruble what they've made selling the base Grand Theft Auto game, they develop all the DLC inhouse.

My kid plays Roblox a free game which I pay a monthly subcription so he can have 'added features', as of 2 months Roblox hits milestone of 90M monthly active users but they embrace their community to mod and both side get a very nice chunk of the action

Roblox paid out $30 million to its creator community

My point is there are plenty of sucessful business models to draw apon, only which one are Microsoft going to take?

• One off purchase to Microsoft with an SDK for developers to create addons but all is done under a Microsoft market place with them taking a share?.
  • One off purchase to Microsoft but no SDK and all content is created in house and sold as DLC?.
  • Free to play, pay to enjoy with some sort of microtransaction system?.

Only time will tell.

Just now, LHookins said:

Well, just to state one obvious downside of that, a "curated" storefront might limit the variety of what's available to the most popular, best-selling aircraft and airports. Especially if it's payware only.

Sometimes it isn't a question of quality, but whether it's available at all. Tiny regional airports built by enthusiasts just because it's in their area, or unusual aircraft that someone decides to model just because it's their personal passion. Those are things that might never show up in a single, curated storefront.

One of the very best helicopters in X-Plane is the Bell 429, a free model from an enthusiast who has said he'd never go payware with it. I'm not sure something like that would ever show up in a Microsoft Storefront. It might show up on Steam if they enable the Workshop for free add-on content though, so that's a possibility if (big "if") the SDK and tools are available to anyone.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

25 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Quite frankly,

at this point I consider your posts in this thread to be FUD.

This is reflecting really poorly on Lockheed Martin.

You should research much better who Rob Ainscough is.

To start with, he has no affiliations whatsoever with Lockheed Martin, in other words he doesn't work for them and the help he has provided to the flying simulation community for the last decade is beyond to anything that anybody could account for and has done until now.

He is the author of the famous P3D Wikipedia, he has helped lots of users in many forums with their hardware issues, FSX issues, P3D issues, etc. he has provided tweaking guidelines for many simulators, etc.

The latest he did was working endlessly FOR FREE with Lockheed Martin engineers to determine the cause of the problems with P3D 4.5 so they could deliver the hotfix that thousands of users are enjoying today.

He has recently been granted the commercial tag on AVSIM, if this is because he is planning to deliver content then I wish him the best outcome possible as I cannot think anybody else who would deserve it more.

However just because someone on this forum has the commercial tag, it doesn't mean it is a full time commercial developer, many of them deliver freeware that most people enjoy, so they give their time, wisdom and professionalism for FREE which is why this community has grown so much and stayed strong for so many years.

I think it is time to stop bashing developers on this thread, if you wish to do that I invite you to open another topic, perhaps in the hangar chat.

Regards,

Simbol

• Like 9
  • Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Well, just to state one obvious downside of that, a "curated" storefront might limit the variety of what's available to the most popular, best-selling aircraft and airports. Especially if it's payware only.

One aircraft I really like is the Manfred Jahn C-47/DC-3.  It is free but definitely payware quality.  Will I ever see a version of it in the new sim?  Probably not, but you never know.

I expect this new franchise to last a long time, and who knows what the future may bring?

Hook

Larry Hookins

5 minutes ago, SquawkModeCharlie said:

Rockstar sold GTA V at launch for around $50-$60, makes around 1Billion in the the first few days, then Rockstar turn on Grand Theft Auto online and their microtransaction shark cards have earned them nearly triple/quadtruble what they've made selling the base Grand Theft Auto game, they develop all the DLC inhouse.

My kid plays Roblox a free game which I pay a monthly subcription so he can have 'added features', as of 2 months Roblox hits milestone of 90M monthly active users but they embrace their community to mod and both side get a very nice chunk of the action

...and

5 minutes ago, SquawkModeCharlie said:

which one are Microsoft going to take?

• One off purchase to Microsoft with an SDK for developers to create addons but all is done under a Microsoft market place with them taking a share?.
  • One off purchase to Microsoft but no SDK and all content is created in house and sold as DLC?.
  • Free to play, pay to enjoy with some sort of microtransaction system?.

These are wildly different markets, so I don't think a valid comparison that can be made,. The 90 million kids who play Roblox (whatever that is) or the equal numbers of youngsters who play GTA V by and large don't do Flight Sim. Flight Sim is utterly boring to kids. How many are in here, or Orbx or Prepar3D forums, for example? Zero, maybe? I have no real feel for how many semi serious flight simmers there are (active) but based on the figure I saw recently that FSX had total sales of about 20 million over just under 20 years, I'd guess there aren't many more than about 250K active simmers world wide at any one time. That's a very wild guess, so don't take me to task on it please; I accept it could be an order of magnitude out. But just comparing those 2 approximate numbers there's a factor of about 350 involved. My gut feel says while Robox's 90 million fans might be enough to justify in-house development, I can't believe our numbers could support it, so I firmly believe there'll be a lot of room for 3rd Party developers, who just happen to be miffed at the moment that they haven't yet been invited to the party. 

• Upvote 1

Like stated, I will need a CRJ-200 with the option of "engines running, ready for takeoff".  I don't care if the air conditioning system is modeled.  I have air conditioning in my house that works really well.  I don't need air conditioning in the cabin because there is no one back there.  I don't even need to see the cabin, because there is no one back there. I don't need to change any fuses on the bus panel.  That all said, I do like to hear the screams of my terrified non-existent passengers if I do something stupid though. Payware options are endless...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

I'm thinking we (Avsim) is going to need to start another Hard Drive donation run if we don't get this sorted out soon. I'm not sure our server is going to handle all of these posts.😂

It's nice to see our traffic count up! 

AVSIM is the place to be, regardless of how you fly!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen :smile:

• Like 1