Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

6 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I sincerely hope this does not mean that the majority of the planet will be covered with similar rubbish looking landclass textures and autogen that we see in default FSX and P3D. That would be a massive disappointment.

I hope it is. I mean, I hope they look good, but there's no way you're going to get satellite imagery of farm fields in every stage of crop growth, whereas it wouldn't be hard to swap in textures based on the time of year. With that in mind, I really don't need to see a real-world-accurate layout of every farm in flyover country. I, for one, will never call up Microsoft and complain that Old Man Johnson is clearly growing soybeans in the northwest field this year and the simulator has it planted with corn.

3 hours ago, corinoco said:

Wow. Really? Did you actually ever try it?

I did. I abandoned it because Microsoft abandoned it. If they'd stuck with it, what I saw in the initial island was promising and I'd have happily kept using it. If it'd been developed far enough it might have even replaced FSX. I thought it had the bones of a good simulator, though I was a bit nervous about how much MS was going to nickel-and-dime me. 

Regardless, neither FSX nor Flight are good indicators of what this sim will be. They fired ACES after FSX. Presumably they fired the Flight devs after it cratered. That means we have a whole new team of devs with a completely unknown philosophy on what a modern flight sim should be like. It could be a hardcore sim. It could be an arcade game. Or somewhere in between. We have no idea.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Although what these clowns forget is that I and most other people will not only not subscribe to channels which do stuff like that, but if I was previously subscribed, I will be prompted to unsubscribe if they do that kind of thing, and whilst I'm at it, I'll report them too.

Me too.

I don't personally report them, but it does make me leave for good usually.

Let be honest Fake News is all the rage right now.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

15 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Let be honest Fake News is all the rage right now.

That about sums it up. We have 67 pages of what we wish were true and 1 page of "What we know is true" and really that one page is what we know is true about a trailer and not what we know is true about the product that will be released (we think) at some point in the future. If I were a MS Dept manager reading this thread and I did not have a finished product in hand I would probably be thinking something like "Oh word not allowed, I wish they would not have released that from the Marketing Dept." LOL!! 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

8 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

That about sums it up. We have 67 pages of what we wish were true and 1 page of "What we know is true" and really that one page is what we know is true about a trailer and not what we know is true about the product that will be released (we think) at some point in the future. If I were a MS Dept manager reading this thread and I did not have a finished product in hand I would probably be thinking something like "Oh word not allowed, I wish they would not have released that from the Marketing Dept." LOL!! 

He's talking about the youtube channels that are putting out fake "FS 2019" videos.

Maybe MS is just scamming everyone. I doubt a major developer and publisher is going to drown their reputation by putting out a fake trailer, but stranger things have happened.

Ubisoft certainly is famous for their E3 "downgrades" upon release.

• Upvote 1

I think the problem for some is that it`s a Microsoft product.

PS Microsoft are now the best performing company on the stock market.

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, rjfry said:

Not for me..

Some people need to update their perception of Microsoft.

This is not the Microsoft of 15 years ago and they are totally killing it on hardware and software of late. 

10 minutes ago, bonchie said:

He's talking about the youtube channels that are putting out fake "FS 2019" videos.

Maybe MS is just scamming everyone. I doubt a major developer and publisher is going to drown their reputation by putting out a fake trailer, but stranger things have happened.

Ubisoft certainly is famous for their E3 "downgrades" upon release.

Don't think that MS is running a scam at all. They have something to offer I am sure. My point is that many times these days that marketing droids write some pretty big checks that leave the guys who have to do the work have a hard time cashing. Just pick any add on TV, the net or in the papers.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

10 minutes ago, rjfry said:

That is not me. I thought I was going to be banded from this forum for ever back when I used to "scream" LOL! at people for taking cheap shots at MS. I actually hope that all of these wishes and dreams come true. 

Edit: I wish Tom were still here to verify that.

Edited by shivers9
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sam

9 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I sincerely hope this does not mean that the majority of the planet will be covered with similar rubbish looking landclass textures and autogen that we see in default FSX and P3D. That would be a massive disappointment.

I don't see what other choice they have.

I've flown assignments in the FSEconomy game in parts of the world where there are airports to takeoff and land from, but I'm fairly positive there is either no available satellite/GIS data at all, or it's not of sufficient resolution to match what's available in the USA and Europe/UK. Even a developed country like Canada can be tough to model with user-made ortho scenery in the more remote areas (Canada is a very big place). I'll bet it's not easy to get good satellite orthos for many parts of China either.

But I still want to fly in those parts of the world, and I'm sure I'm not alone. There has to be something shown on the ground, even if it doesn't match what that sexy trailer looks like.

• Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I would have felt more comfortable if the promo trailer had a voice saying 'and now we hit ALT on our keyboards'  and then the familiar Menu bar appeared on top with selection choices similar to what we had seen from MSFS 5.0 to MSFS X.

Then I would know that surely this is Microsoft Flight Simulator 11 and not Flight II !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

I completely get that. Skepticism of major developers is well warranted.

But, we will never get a next-gen simulator on the backs of 3rd party developers or small studios. There has to be major money behind it. All we can do is hope it works out but I'm happy there's at least a shot now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It was reassuring to see Microsoft drone cars with cameras on the roofs self driving all around our tiny local airport. LASEAW was painted on the door panels.

hide.gif

Low Altitude Scenery at Every Airport in the World!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, eslader said:

I think the worst case is still pretty good. If MS comes out with some janky Flight II pile of junk, the fact that MS is getting back into the flight sim game might just spur hardware developers to release some more flight controllers.

The current state of sim hardware is atrocious. You either buy cheap junk for $100, slightly less cheap junk for $300, or really good stuff for a grand and up. Or you're like me and you're still using a Saitek X45 because the only things out there today that are properly featured and don't feel like Galoob's Baby's First Cockpit because they use the cheapest, lightest plastics everywhere are insanely expensive and the underpinnings are often poor quality.

Used to be I could go get a HOTAS setup *and* a racing wheel with pedals for less than the Warthog costs now. It'd be nice if competition increased again to bring prices back down to reasonable levels, and I think maybe MS re-inserting itself into the genre might help.

All that is true, but at $500 the Warthog is a great buy. It is an heavy metal and solid enough HOTAS that you could put the stick and  throttle on opposite ends of a strong pole and use it as a training barbell.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Guillemot+HOTAS+WARTHOG+Gaming+Accessory+Kit+-+Thrustmaster+2960720&_sacat=0