Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

5 minutes ago, Airboeing said:

You can, Office 2019 is still an outright purchase and installed locally on your PC/Mac. I get what you are saying, though.

Very limited version with no Access. That was news to me, thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

40 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The new management is looking at how well L-M have done with P3D and they want a piece of the action.

Hello Ray,

sorry, but I don't think that is true. Microsoft chose MSFS as one of the 100 launch titles for their 2020 GamePass strategy, because the project obviously has something about it that they think will attract masses of people (as in "millions"). In the one interview a Microsoft representative said that they are aiming for the 2 billion players of computer games out there. MSFS was just one of 14 major Microsoft titles that have been presented at the E3 this year, and by no means the most prominent one. There also are rumors that it has been in development for 5 years, and five years back P3D was nothing. 

I would hazard a guess that there are less than 50.000 people who actually require the open architecture of P3D and the possibility for multiple views on several computers and the option to attach home cockpit hardware. Those customers will remain on P3D or XPlane, because those simulators and respective addons are what powers their investment. 

All the rest who "just want to fly" will choose the simulator that looks best and is most convenient to acquire and to use.

"Microsoft" as a whole, their top management, don't care about flight simming at all. They care about the general strategy that XBox Game Studios runs by, and that must succeed as a whole. "They" won't hand-pick individual titles, neither to be included or to be discarded. That would be the "local" managements job. Btw, "the management" is temporary anyway. Top managers usually have 1-2 year contracts. They usually don't dive deeply into anything.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

15 minutes ago, Airboeing said:

Access is part of the Professional edition: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/office-professional-2019/cfq7ttc0k7c5

But I guess that't enough off topic  😊

I’ll stick with 2010, thanks. We can now get back on topic. 👍😉

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@Lorby_SI, I respect your opinion and accept that us hard-core simmers are a tiny majority. But we are the ones that spend lots of money on addons so the base product has to be good for that to happen.

Are Microsoft aiming this new sim at us or the masses? The masses I think. So it’s strange that so many hard-core users here are so enthusiastic about this new sim especially when so little is known about it. Younger members I guess. Want something new every five minutes because P3D is now old hat.

I’m showing my age but I’m happy with LM and will stay with them. It will be interesting to see the details of this new sim but I do wonder if it isn’t just another Flight that encompasses the whole world. Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 6/16/2019 at 10:21 PM, Chock said:

For those who are of the opinion that MS Flight was of no worth to a flight simmer into 'serious stuff', I recommend you check out this video on my channel where I compare one of the default MS Flight aeroplanes, to a very good XPlane add-on of the same type, as well as an FSX one of the same type, plus a P3D V4.5 one too. You'll see that the MS Flight aeroplane scores quite highly, and in more than one criteria, it is actually the better choice. If you don't want to watch the entire vid, just the bit which covers the MS Flight aeroplane, skip to around about the  22:30 time mark on the video:

OK, I didn't watch the video - but was it the Maule? That thing was superbly modelled in Flight, and it was my absolute favourite aircraft in it. I used to really enjoy the "aerocache" challenges, and landing rough on some of the tiny and challenging strips on the islands.
I can remember some great nights spent in multiplayer putting on airshows, practicing formation flying, and having 'who can land there' competitions. The really easy multiplayer system was one of the best aspects of Flight; and that t didn't have the massively intimidating feel of VATSIM. I've flown sims for er, a lot, of years (FS2 on C64, you do the maths) and I still don't feel I would be anywhere near the standard that VATSIM seems to require. Also I doubt my Maule (or whatever other slow plane I'm flying) would welcome at an airliner hub; and that's all VATSIM seems to be.
Give me the wild freedom of Flight any day! I miss it.

Edited by corinoco
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So it’s strange that so many hard-core users here are so enthusiastic about this new sim especially when so little is known about it.

Because we are tired of the same exhausted ESP engine. It has looked relatively the same all these years, with some enhancements from 3PD but then the sim gets really bogged down. It cant handle any more. Its run its course.  

If you read the new new post of hiring a community manager and its requirements, seems they are keen to listen to the hardcore FS community and to listen to their needs as noted.  Thats not directed to new young potential casual gamer simmers who dont really care about having the features we would like and request.  Those gamers want to press A on the xbox controller or CTRL-E  to start engines and just go , without any regard for a packs off start. 

Welcome the new with cautious optimism rather than all but dismissing them in this day and age.  Time to make use of the power of our PCs.  

• Upvote 5

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

45 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But we are the ones that spend lots of money on addons so the base product has to be good for that to happen.

OK, but our addon purchases from 3rd parties didn't benefit Microsoft in any way. Nor do they benefit Lockheed Martin. Instead they created a weird cottage industry of sorts, where just about everyone tries to get a slice of the cake. And I mean everyone. You can see the result of that on your own computer with the dozens of different ways things get installed, the sheer number of cross-compatibility issues and content errors, platform CTDs, performance issues etc.etc. Addons that aren't curated and/or developed along strict guidelines put the platform as a whole at risk.

Yes, the MSFS will be developed and distributed in a way that it appeals to the masses. And so? Doesn't mean that it won't be good fun - and contrary to previous offerings, fun is probably what it is about. There is no rule that this has to replace or succeed P3D to be a good product. And it can be bad just as well, for any number of reasons. 

IMO the only manufacturer who is at least partly driven by community wishes is Laminar Research. Lockheed doesn't exactly cater to the home simmer either. The majority of the new P3D features are about professional use, SimDirector and structured scenarios. They haven't touched any of the issues that the community of home simmers has been vocal about since forever (like ATC and AI traffic). 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

LORBY-SI

1 minute ago, Lorby_SI said:

Yes, the MSFS will be developed and distributed in a way that it appeals to the masses. And so? Doesn't mean that it won't be good fun / and contrary to previous offerings, fun is probably what it is about.

It just has to be as good as Forza for me. Forza is a brilliant example of what they could do with FS. There's Forza Racing - for the 'serious' enthusiast and Forza Horizons for the more casual type. Same engine, both groups covered. Good DLC, occasionally bonkers but that is actually quite good fun! Don't want the not-so-serious DLC? Don't download it!

Simples! Also consider an in-engine repaint system as good as Forza Horizons. Yeah, I want my Maule painted sparkly-glitter-colour-changing-pink-leopard-spots. Who wouldn't?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Lorby_SI, I respect your opinion and accept that us hard-core simmers are a tiny majority. But we are the ones that spend lots of money on addons so the base product has to be good for that to happen.

Are Microsoft aiming this new sim at us or the masses? The masses I think. So it’s strange that so many hard-core users here are so enthusiastic about this new sim especially when so little is known about it. Younger members I guess. Want something new every five minutes because P3D is now old hat.

Do not forget that the Xbox market is in excess of 63 million, & that should tell you where MFS's market is probably going to be.. the gamers.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

8 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

Because we are tired of the same exhausted ESP engine. It has looked relatively the same all these years, with some enhancements from 3PD but then the sim gets really bogged down. It cant handle any more. Its run its course.  

If you read the new new post of hiring a community manager and its requirements, seems they are keen to listen to the hardcore FS community and to listen to their needs as noted.  Thats not directed to new young potential casual gamer simmers who dont really care about having the features we would like and request.  Those gamers want to press A on the xbox controller or CTRL-E  to start engines and just go , without any regard for a packs off start. 

Welcome the new with cautious optimism rather than all but dismissing them in this day and age.  Time to make use of the power of our PCs.  

When you say "We" I assume you mean "I"? I disagree the P3D looks the same as earlier versions. New releases of DirectX have ensured the look changes. Volumetric cloud and fog was a jaw-dropper when it arrived. And I expect that P3Dv5 will bring DX12 with even more enhancements. And the big thing with that is all my aircraft and scenery will probably still work.

I have paid a lot of money for several GoFlight modules plus the MCP and EFIS. I have bought new airports designed for P3D v4 only because the developers can take advantage of 64-bit. P3D has never looked so good. And yet some people will happily dump all that investment and start afresh with a new sim and we don't even know if it will have an SDK. It's doomed if it doesn't because there's no way I will buy into it and have all my expensive hardware gathering dust.

Even with an SDK that takes time to produce and then more time for developers to made their products compatible with the new sim. This is not the ground-breaker some say it is. The real ground-breaker was a 64-bit platform and all that that entails. We have that now and I'm perfectly happy with it. I don't need a fast internet connection to download the scenery and I don't need to pay L-M monthly subs as I suspect users of this new sim will have to do.

Sometimes too much choice is not necessarily a good thing. Stick with what you have and works.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Do not forget that the Xbox market is in excess of 63 million, & that should tell you where MFS's market is probably going to be.. the gamers.

What's the average age of a X-Box owner? Under 40 probably. I've never had a gaming console and never will. They're around for 5 minutes before the next one comes along and the old one goes to the charity shop or the tip!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They're around for 5 minutes before the next one comes along and the old one goes to the charity shop or the tip!

A bit like video cards!

• Like 6

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Probably under 40, as you say, but with 64 million of them, compared to how many, i wonder of over 40 simmers?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...