Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

My guess is that it won't be too long in coming. People have the attention spans of goldfish these days,

And what do you need as the result of this work? A kind of flight simulator that works in small areas.Really hardly anything more.You don't develop thew complete program and puts it in a shiny box. They can simply develop in stages. At first limited area, limited.number of planes limited realism.

5 minutes ago, Chock said:

Well apparently (if the rumours are true) they've been at this already development-wise for over five years.

Really? That would mean development started when the Dovetail Sim was still well alive (well, sort of). I've difficulty to believe this and would have expected MS to have laid the ground when FSW was determined to fail, so perhaps 2 years ago?

But who knows...

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

14 minutes ago, Chock said:

Well apparently (if the rumours are true) they've been at this already development-wise for over five years.

It would be hardly a surprise, the simply looked at what they had and what to with it. They have images they have maps they have an AI you start to work with them and then you look what you could do with it. and if you connect this points a kind of flight simulation comes to mind. And they have a strong name in this area and the licence just returned to them last year. And suddenly you can say that they developed it for four years. They only looked at what they could do with their data. and now they attach a flight simulator to this engine.

Edited by Longranger

Just now, pmb said:

Really? That would mean development started when the Dovetail Sim was still well alive (well, sort of). I've difficulty to believe this and would have expected MS to have laid the ground when FSW was determined to fail, so perhaps 2 years ago?

But who knows...

Kind regards, Michael

I don't understand why that would be a problem. They bought a license for a product, doesn't mean Microsoft, or anyone, can't develop a better product alongside? That's business.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

13 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Since I'm getting involved in 3D modeling for P3D and XP, I took a closer look at the video being presented, as pointed out it is very "google" earth like in how objects are generated.  The video was made with "quick" clips not allowing for too much time let a scene sink in so I made some freeze frames showing some of the issues:

AI Road Traffic Issue
uc?id=1gDsKmqpleia2FApR9r1xuSW9WRq1WSUo
AI Road Traffic Issue Zoomed (floating above terrain and driving thru each other same issues as we have now)
uc?id=19N8i_0af4R5s7qqPl4H9pdse9qa1Vjng
Odd Tree Textures and Building Top Sat Dish
uc?id=1kmZ2X9uGSZjW6Q93wvHHvTrqz9pPhd8K
Odd Tree Textures and Building Top Sat Dish - Zoomed
uc?id=1pLKDxXrPSa9MlHT6vPJ28vmpT4CzeblH
Runway Under Water
uc?id=1XxLKsTOTlD0ubqy4ApiYMiX5ibVAF-RD
Runway Under Water Zoomed

uc?id=1UuPIoYpWx3ROCDGAixcFihr94DLg4BZr

I'm not trying to be negative at all but I'm sure some will take it that way ... but I know if I can see it everyone else will eventually see the issues also.  It's obviously a compromised solution which is fine and will fit the bill for some and not others.  

If you take a look at the airports in the video, they are clearly of much higher quality and hand crafted ... since I doubt Microsoft could have created 40,000 airports world wide with higher detail custom models, then it's very likely they will be available as DLC at a later date ... if DLC exists, then it's highly likely an SDK will exist ... so the question I'm most interested in ... will the SDK be made available to those of us (myself included) that would like to produce content for this product?  

Cheers, Rob.

I miss your point wiht the runway screenshot.

About the other once, agree. Which also makes me happy seeing mistakes making it real 🙂.W e will see how it goes

Victor Roos

2 hours ago, A340-4 said:

I am very sure that we- the "not real users" do bring an good chuck of profit to them as well. 

so..... 

If one hundred thousand people bought a P3D Professional license every year, that would be 0.04% of Lockheeds total income. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Exactly most users of a flight simulator use it without any addon. At least this are the statistic result of X-Plane. It oly depends on the amount of money that Microsoft wants to spend in this project. Fom a tech demo to a Fullfledged simulator everything is possible and it is very likely that right now, even Microsoft can't tell you how his will end.

Edited by Longranger

Certainly not the stats of the Microsoft franchise, in any of it's forms.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

41 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Ok, so, after a bit of sleuthing, & registering on Xbox insider, the new sim will be available from Xbox Games Pass!

(https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/...riefing-recap/)
Microsoft Flight Simulator (Xbox One And Windows 10 PC)
The next generation of our longest-running franchise, Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date. Microsoft Flight Simulator is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

with a monthly fee, apart from any cost of game.

That's not an exclusive statement.  You can tell, because it doesn't use the world "exclusively" 😉

That statement was written by the marketing department.  They're using the new Flight Simulator to remind you about this other service they are currently pushing (hard) that was also announced recently and is available today (XBox Game Pass).  This is how companies work.

Stop reading things into these statements that aren't there, people.  Take your time, slow down, read carefully, THINK about what you're reading, THEN comment.

Edited by TechguyMaxC
  • Upvote 1

Ok, then, how about this? I did read it carefully:

Microsoft has announced a new installment of its long-running Microsoft Flight Simulator series. The new Flight Simulator, which was teased briefly at Microsoft’s E3 keynote, is powered by Microsoft’s Azure cloud artificial intelligence.

My understanding, by reading the above, & thinking carefully about what I've read, is that the sim will be cloud based! 

Not sure that I've and commented on anything different.

(from wiki) On June 9, 2019, Microsoft announced a new installment, simply titled 'Microsoft Flight Simulator', as part of their E3 conference and with a teaser video on their Xbox YouTube channel.[20] On the same day, Microsoft launched a new website for the title and opened registration for a public alpha and early forum access for members of the Xbox Insider Program.[21] The new version features tight integration of satellite data and Microsoft's own Azure AI into the simulator's engine to generate near photoreal graphics. Release date, pricing, and other features are yet to be announced. The simulator will be released in 2020 on Xbox and PC.

And...

Xbox Game Pass

Get this game, plus unlimited access to over 100 high-quality games for one low monthly price. Not a member?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

And they have a strong name in this area and the licence just returned to them last year...

Microsoft don't need a licence! They own the code and brand name!! They could have started work on this project at the same time that they sold a licence to Dovetail Games for the development of FS World.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Being powered by the cloud AI doesn't mean the files will be cloud based. They can use Azure to build the sim features (like color correcting the photoscenery, improving autogen etc), then they put everything together and you download the files.

Not saying it will be like that, just pointing out another way of looking into it.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Microsoft don't need a licence! They own the code and brand name!! They could have started work on this project at the same time that they sold a licence to Dovetail Games for the development of FS World.

Are you sure? I know they never lost the ownership of the whole package, but are you sure there were nothing forbidding them to compete with the ones who bought their licenses?

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

Just now, ca_metal said:

Being powered the cloud AI doesn't mean the files will be cloud based. They can use Azure to build the sim features (like color correcting the photoscenery, improving autogen etc), then they put everything together and you download the files.

Not saying it will be like that, just pointing out another way of looking into it.

Exactly. They can do the most mundane, irrelevant thing with their Azure network and say it's powered by it. I think a lot of people here would do well to get caught up in what has happened in the gaming sphere, how the "cloud" became a running joke, how everything was to be powered by the cloud, how entire games were to be built around "the cloud" (hello Crackdown 3), only to either be a completely irrelevant implementation, or none at all. It means nothing. Sure, they probably used the Azure network for computations in regards to all the photoscenery and photogrammetry -- Latter definitely being rendered by Azure, doesn't mean that it's an active connection to the sim, that content is streamed or anything is played in the cloud.

Thinking anything critical is fetched from the cloud in real-time, making a game dependent on it, also means it becomes always online, it means now people's connection speeds and stability come into play, something that can quickly become detrimental to the experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

37 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

I miss your point wiht the runway screenshot.

I believe Rob is pointing out that the runway is under water... and it clearly is.  The zoomed screenshot shows runway markings under the water.

I believe the point it, there is still work to be done by MS... these are early days.  

* If I've misrepresented what you meant, Rob, please clarify. *

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64