SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

1 minute ago, Afterburner said:

And it will take decades for a certain 3rd party developer to produce a new Concorde for the Microsoft Flight Simulator... 😈

Slip of the finger? L-M surely but I do take your point over the time it takes to produce quality aircraft.

I just watched the promo video and wow it looks amazing!  I know we don’t know much at this point but i find it hard to understand the negativity based on watching that video.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

No, this is marketing 101. You drip feed information, you let users get hyped, them them soak up and absorb a limited amount of information, then you slowly release more information to constantly stoke the fire.

It appears to me, based on the promo video, the simulator is polished and ready for release.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Come to think of it, it would actually be quite amazing (and on the same note - too much to hope for...), if Microsoft secretly have worked with FSDT, Aerosoft, PMDG etc on this project 😄 

18 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

It appears to me, based on the promo video, the simulator is polished and ready for release.

It does look fairly finished... at least from the 'bits' we've seen in the released material. 

We have been given a look into the future and it looks absolutely incredible!

Looking at the trailer you could tell almost instantly that it was from MS, it just has that certain look about it from the lighting somewhat similar to msflight but much more refined.

From a business standpoint MS knows that the success and longevity of its FS titles came from third party developers.

MS can give us the world but the third part devs give us the detailed content.

You can expect and count on there being an SDK for developers.

The future is very bright indeed!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I think it looks great and will buy it on release alongside a new computer. I'm out of the "hard core simming scene" because of job and family obligations at this time in my life, so a fun and graphically realistic flying game is 100% what I want and need right now.

Since FSX I've always been more interested in the geography aspect of the sim engine, than the flight simulation. Now that they include 3D satellite imagery mapping of cities one can finally do a bit of virtual exploring. The current autogen rendering has always left me unsatisfied for urban areas. I'm guessing there will be a limited coverage of real sattellite imagery and realistic airports, and that 99% of the planet will still be rendered with some kind of autogen/landclass system. That's fine by me. Don't really need Siberia and Sahara in full detail. 

Now, lets hope MS doesn't drop the ball on this before they've kicked into gear. Lets hope they're getting back into it for the long haul.

Edited by simmerhead
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, france89 said:

+

You guys are giving too much value to few hundred flight sim enthusiasts like we are. Do you really think a billion dollar company cares about few hundred people? And DaWu, you seem to be clueless about the market behind  gaming on console, but even on PC.

It isn't bad at all. New engines are running on both platforms, especially when it's about Microsoft.
And about the xbox not being powerful enough, well, the new one coming in 2020 can run games at 8k res at 120fps apparently, has a SSD and fast memory.

Clueless aha. I am pretty much aware about the niche market we are in. And I know that besides that niche there is no market at all

Posted (edited)

First reaction of John V at OrbX. MSFlight all over again. Plus the cloud of course 😂 ! MS looks like setting up a closed environment yet again.

Orbx is not involved.

MS have not reached out to us.

They did a good job keeping it secret.

We have no more information than the trailer and press release.

We don’t know if there is an SDK or third party support.

We don’t know who they partnered with for content, certainly not us.

This does not change any of our product plans at all.

Remember MS Flight? I hope MS learnt from that experience 

This will be Windows 10 first, then ‘maybe’ XBOX later.

Finally, “2020” could mean January or December 2020.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/173967-new-flight-sim-announced/?do=findComment&comment=1524692

Edited by domkle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, domkle said:

First reaction of John V at OrbX. MSFlight all over again. Plus the cloud of course 😂 ! MS looks like setting up a closed environment yet again.

Yep, it came as a surprise to all of us. If any well-known sim company is involved, they've kept it well under wraps

You can hear a very little bit of ATC, not sure whether this was just an edit or is the real deal as it did sound new...

8 minutes ago, domkle said:

Orbx is not involved.

MS have not reached out to us.

They did a good job keeping it secret.

We have no more information than the trailer and press release.

We don’t know if there is an SDK or third party support.

We don’t know who they partnered with for content, certainly not us.

This does not change any of our product plans at all.

Remember MS Flight? I hope MS learnt from that experience 

This will be Windows 10 first, then ‘maybe’ XBOX later.

Finally, “2020” could mean January or December 2020.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/173967-new-flight-sim-announced/?do=findComment&comment=1524692

Definitely a bad omen. Recalling MS Flight!, too. "Do you want to realise your dream to fly... bla...bla".

Kind regards. Michael

• Upvote 1

Why would orbx have been involved considering their product line has just been rendered obsolete with a brand new scenery engine from MS?

the reaction is similar to the pony express riders seeing the first railroad coming through.

Similar to Douglas engineers getting their first glimpse of the 707.

Alarming would be an understatement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skully said:

Why would orbx have been involved considering their product line has just been rendered obsolete with a brand new scenery engine from MS?

the reaction is similar to the pony express riders seeing the first railroad coming through.

Similar to Douglas engineers getting their first glimpse of the 707.

Alarming would be an understatement.

They still make airports

Posted (edited)

I guess the equation is fairly simple. If this new Flight Simulator from Microsoft is open to 3rd party add-ons it will succeed. It will be a game changer. In that case, It seems that global-regional add-ons will become obsolete. For aircraft developers it will probably be an opportunity to resell their P3D products, but at the same time it will be a big challenge and expense to re-design their products for the new platform. I'm curious what their view will be on that. Even if one of them does that, I think the rest will have to follow. 

Now, if the platform is not open to 3rd party add-ons, in my opinion it won't succeed. The quality of aircraft add-ons currently developed can't be compared with the default Microsoft aircraft. Scenery and weather is certainly a big immersion factor but without a "study-sim" plane, its nothing more than an amazing visuals simulator.

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

No pictures of london namely tower hamlets and southall maybe it might harm sales

I'm going to stay optimistic. We're getting a new, modern flight sim from the company that facilitated the birth and evolution of the entire flight sim genre. This is huge! And if they truly have been working on it for over 2 years, it should be fairly complete. The trailer seems to indicate that it is. MS could have kept their big mouths shut if they weren't close to being ready for prime time. They certainly did a good job of it up until this point.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just for fun, I'm going to go out on a limb and make the following guesses:

1. Several addon developers have known about this for some time but due to an NDA have had to keep quiet.

2. The scenery, i.e. the photoreal base, will indeed be streamed and buffered.  The airports, vegetation, buildings, etc. will be stored on the local machine.

3. The scenery will be much like ORBX Trueearth in that it will combine photoreal with landclass, vector scenery, objects, and AFCAD-based airports.

4. The core scenery engine is likely brand new, but the aircraft have probably not changed much from FSX, so with minor changes many FSX and P3D aircraft will work.

5. The flight dynamics have been improved.

6. ATC is the same as FSX with minor bug fixes and improvements.

Mostly pure speculation but also some educated guessing.  It'll be fun to see if I'm right.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

There seems to be some thought here that this is a project which has only just started development. However, from the trailer it already appears to be quite well-advanced and has likely been going on for some time. If that's the case, 3rd party developers may already have add-ons in progress. Who knows? I also think that those who are hoping that LM will produce a version of P3D even remotely similar in the foreseeable future are, frankly, dreaming.

As far as "Orbx is not involved. MS have not reached out to us", why is that necessarily a bad thing (other than for Orbx)? It doesn't need Orbx involvement to be good.

One of the computer mags (can't remember which) recently took a look at the current crop of streaming services for gaming and came to the conclusion that they had potential but there were still a lot of issues with latency and bandwidth that currently limited what could be done. Why make a great flight sim and then cripple it for many potential customers who may not have access to super-fast broadband?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

So I was looking around their new website and somehow stumbled into an area which I don't think is meant to be accessible. It's basically a bunch of test pages with random confectionery related gibberish dating back as far as April 2018. Not all that much to see but it does contain a few new screenshots of some aircraft. Namely:

• A380
  • 777-200LR
  • G650
  • F22-Raptor
  • F15 Eagle
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • Seamax
  • Cessna 310

Assuming these will be included I guess that means we're getting military aircraft too. There is also mention of a 'Store' in one of the articles so i'm guessing there will be some sort of in-built area to buy addons. Also there's a page for a Beta page but we already kinda knew that was happening.

1 minute ago, _ns5x said:

So I was looking around their new website and somehow stumbled into an area which I don't think is meant to be accessible. It's basically a bunch of test pages with random confectionery related gibberish dating back as far as April 2018. Not all that much to see but it does contain a few new screenshots of some aircraft. Namely:

• A380
  • 777-200LR
  • G650
  • F22-Raptor
  • F15 Eagle
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • Seamax
  • Cessna 310

Assuming these will be included I guess that means we're getting military aircraft too. There is also mention of a 'Store' in one of the articles so i'm guessing there will be some sort of in-built area to buy addons. Also there's a page for a Beta page but we already kinda knew that was happening.

Any chance for the links to the images?

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Don't tell us you still believe in trailers 😉? Specially in the game industry. You know when you get 3 minutes of a superb CGI movie and then the game is really about sprites crawling in an isometric environment. 

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, vin747 said:

The silence from the big devs on their various forums also speaks volumes.. Most likely smells like an NDA.. Otherwise, they would have said "whoa, we never saw that coming."  and some devs who haven't been in the loop have said it in this topic itself.. 

IMHO it doesn't really make sense to have an NDA in effect after the platform has been announced. If there is something to be shared with the customer, the time would be now?

I think that MS was looking for launch titles for their streaming service. Then they remember an exclusive legacy brand that they own all rights for and go for it. Azure AI hasn't been around that long, so the concept may in fact be brand new, trailer or not. So they get a launch title for two new products at the same time. They invest 6 months into making a prototype, and it turned out so well that they got the go-ahead for the project. Now they have at least 18 months to finish the product. And we are talking about a company that can draw on the resources of 130000 employees. They could task 100 engineers without breaking a sweat.

Personally I think that we should abandon old thought concepts about how a flightsim works. This may be a entirely different type of application architecture. And I am leaning towards those opinions who say that this doesn't bode well for the established addon developer community. We will see if there are snide remarks or "we too" statements coming forth.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The video sure is impressive. I hope it's a completely new set of engines for terrain, flight dynamics, gauges, weather, ATC etc. As far as SDK goes my hope is that it's  more like a modern game engine where you can jump into a built-in edit mode and import models, textures, sound, data etc in standard formats, then set up scenes, add colliders, hook up scripts, create materials and so on. That way you can use dev tools of your own choice (eg Blender, Modo, Zbrush, Houdini, Maya etc) instead of being stuck having to get the expensive 3dsMax dinosaur.

To say it another way, this should be a new, modern and open engine for flight simulation, not just a closed game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Signed up and in, awaiting news from Microsoft.