Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

7 minutes ago, ziomalnik said:

Finally flight simulators will move forward since 2006

Yes indeed, at least until MS changes its mind and dumps development.

Greg

Now before everyone just freaks out, take this with a grain of salt.  If they didn't learn from their BOMB called "Flight", and the actually LISTEN to their fan base, this will not be an arcade game that flops, but a real real sim.  Crossing my fingers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Well this has come out of left field!
Incredible-looking footage, skies, weather, terrain mesh rendering, native photo scenery(?), etc. 
All of it looks new, so no legacy coding (since ACES long since gone).

Yes, you can refer back to Microsoft Flight, but I think this is going to be a much more serious attempt to get back into the entertainment / casual simmer market.

Laminar Research, IPACS, Lockheed and some 3rd party developers such as Orbx, xEnviro, Rex are going to be very nervous if this plays as well as it looks.

Excited!

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO); ASUS GTX 1070 O8G; Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; triple monitor

P3Dv5.1 + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + ActiveSky + ChasePlane + AILRP + Self Loading Cargo + WIN 10 Pro
PMDG 737NGX; QW 757 787; AS A32x A330; MJC Dash 8; A2A PA-28; Carenado XL560; PMDG 777; FT E-Jets v2; JF C152

I suppose one upside is hopefully they've binned off all FSX code and are starting afresh, but the reappearance of the Icon A5 makes me doubt that, perhaps they've built on Flight's engine? I wonder if it'll be "always online" with some of the scenery in some way cloud based (pulling from Bing or similar?) and they'll charge a subscription? This might lockout third party developers or force them to pay fees to go through MS's DLC delivery platform.

I'm actually surprised how positive the response to it is in this thread, I thought we'd all still have a sour taste in our mouths from Flight? MS have no interest in the average flight simmer, they're selling to lowest common denominator

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. Find my spec and settings in "About me" on my profile.

support1.jpg

Just now, nehuge6348 said:

Crossing my fingers.

Hope they don't get sore and joint locked... :biggrin:

Greg

Well, MS FLIGHT did run ultra smooth in the same PC that could barely run FSX …. with the same level of detail and graphics... Why wouldn't this one be at least as good as MS FLIGHT was ?

• Like 4

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Uninstalling flightsims is a temptation I can never resist...

If I said that it compares to anything that I've seen so far, then I wouldn't be honest. This is unbelievably stunning.
No doubt it will be received by a good amount of preemptive skepticism and negative prejudice, though. As usual.

• Like 4

@jcomm Flight didn't have to render the whole world and the aircraft had no systems or navigational aids. From what I recall there wasn't even proper weather? It did look better than FSX and run smoother, but it had a lot less to do elsewhere.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. Find my spec and settings in "About me" on my profile.

support1.jpg

I wonder if this announcement if have any implications for the future release timeline of P3D V5 or X-Plane 12?

• Like 1

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 3800X, GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, SAMSUNG QVO (1TB) SSD, 2 * 1 TB M.2 2280 Nvme SSD, Toshiba (4TB) HDD, WD (2TB) HDD, PALIT GTX 1070* 8 GB vRAM, CORSAIR H100i GTX Water cooler, SAITEK X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, SAITEK YOKE, 2 * SAITEK throttles, SAITEK PEDALS

*new GPU planned (30xx or Big Navi) when I can get one but I may have to wait a short time (ie the more vRam the better or whatever I can afford) to see what's best for me.

And.. apparently it had been mentioned earlier ( ? )

and it looks like PMDG's 777 in the video ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Uninstalling flightsims is a temptation I can never resist...

I think you'll find that's FSX/P3D with a load of addons on it...

• Upvote 4

support1.jpg

1 minute ago, barrel_owl said:

No doubt it will be received by a good amount of preemptive skepticism and negative prejudice, though. As usual.

Indeed! And that while a pretty announcement video like MS put out should make us all want to come together and join in a giant group hug! 😆

• Like 4

Cheers, Bert

Intel i7-4790K, 8 GB RAM, MSI GTX 970, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, MSFS

I believe this video was just someone having fun, kind of like the movie trailers built from other clips of different movies