Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

1 hour ago, Chock said:

I'd be really very cautious of believing anything on that video at all, it's largely click-bait, and not very good click-bait either.

Wow, someone didn't wake up in a good mood today... 🙂I've been a photographer for 30 years and not even once have I used the term anti-aliasing or needed to. If you're going to kill a mans character, at least find some real arguments. Now, don't get me wrong, but I find most of these youtube videos entertaining, and I don't care if they took just 5 minutes to prepare, because at this point, anything is everyone's guess. It's just people that are happy to see a new flight sim from arguably the most beloved game franchise in history.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hey folks, this announcement from MS has finally pushed me out of the lurker shadows and into the active community.

Not sure if you've seen this already but PMDG released an official statement

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/14257-12jun19-pmdg-and-the-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-question

The most relevant part as far as I'm concerned was: 

As of this writing, PMDG knows the following facts based upon published information and direct intelligence gathering:

- Microsoft has been at work developing a new title to release using the MSFS name.

- This title and the effort to develop it have been kept under wraps for some time.

- None of the firms with which we are in contact have or have had any direct discussion with Microsoft about this title.

- There were some rumors of this title a few months back, but they evaporated without confirmation.

Now, it's fine for MS to pick Aerosoft as their exclusive boxed airplanes developer, but "None of the firms with which we are in contact" makes wonder if Aerosoft is actually the only third party Microsoft is working with. I sure hope not, it would be nice to have broader support from day 1. 

As for me, I was about to pull the trigger on the migration to P3D (and all the addon conversion costs that come along with that), but I reckon the best move now is to wait and see. 

Edited by FlyingRoo
typo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i5-4670k @ 4.2GHz | RTX 2080 | XB32HK 4k@60Hz G-Sync | P3D V5

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Check them carefully, they are both custom modelled, especially Dubai.. It's pretty obvious if you look at the skyscraper textures in Dubai.

Hey Tony, there is underlying data not visible in 3d satellite view, I wouldn't be so sure they don't have more data than what we see right now. Phil Spencer said they have used 2 Petabytes (2048 terabytes) of data to build the sim world together.

This is dubai if you choose the maps view, not the satellite:

htB8HHf.png

Edited by ca_metal

25 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Wow, someone didn't wake up in a good mood today... 🙂I've been a photographer for 30 years and not even once have I used the term anti-aliasing or needed to. If you're going to kill a mans character, at least find some real arguments. Now, don't get me wrong, but I find most of these youtube videos entertaining, and I don't care if they took just 5 minutes to prepare, because at this point, anything is everyone's guess. It's just people that are happy to see a new flight sim from arguably the most beloved game franchise in history.

Well if you're doing traditional wet-film photography and darkroom printing, then it is true that anti-aliasing would not figure largely in the frame of that, but the moment one is talking about the digital realm and displaying images in that format, anti-aliasing is writ large upon the technology, and let's not forget here that it is me pulling someone up for having brought up that subject in their video and then demonstrably showing their lack of knowledge thereof, not me claiming that he should know everything about it without him having made reference to it.

Thus my comment is nothing to do with my mood or an attempt to 'kill a man's character' as you somewhat dramatically put it, it is to do with disliking when people churn out parasitical click-bait nonsense on youtube, particularly when making misleading claims about their competence to do so, and supposedly with either a level of understanding of the subject over and above that of the people watching and listening to them, or from a position of implied internal authority.

Sure, if someone wants to make a video and say 'Here's me talking about what I think' and not implying anything more than this, then fine. But at least say that is what you are doing instead of cracking on that you're offering something more than that. This is the issue; it deserves to be pulled up and judging by the unfavourable disparity of likes to dislikes on that particular video, I'm glad to see that many people evidently recognise it for what it is. Youtube is already enough of an echo-chamber without people adding to that aspect of it.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 hours ago, MDFlier said:

FS2020 in roman numerals would be FSXXXX  well... actually FSMMXX for FS two thousand twenty, but FSXXXX for FS twenty twenty.

We seem to have some problems with nomenclature here. No one really knows what to call this new sim. "Microsoft Flight Simulator" is way too generic.

I'm going to suggest that, to avoid confusion, we all agree to call this "Microsoft Flight v2". 

Also, if anyone has Satya Nadella's contact details, could you please pass this suggestion/instruction along to him. 

Thanks!

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

We seem to have some problems with nomenclature here. No one really knows what to call this new sim. "Microsoft Flight Simulator" is way too generic.

I'm going to suggest that, to avoid confusion, we all agree to call this "Microsoft Flight v2". 

Also, if anyone has Satya Nadella's contact details, could you please pass this suggestion/instruction along to him. 

Thanks!

No way. We all pray that this will be NOT a Flight v2 so we should not name it that way.

FS2020 ist absoultely fine.

Lukas Dalton

I wanted to chime in and share a few of my thoughts as well.

• I get the sense that the product will be released for the current gen Xbox and obviously will be compatible with the new Xbox when it is released as well in 2020. However, my understanding is that even current mid-range PC's can easily run the products currently released on this generation of consoles, at least that has been my experience. After watching the Microsoft E3 presentation and their emphasis on cross-platform support moving forward I have serious reservations that they would require a monster PC to run the new sim. I think there will likely be advanced features that users COULD utilize if they wanted, but so much of the technology that people are talking about (RTX for example) is still fairly expensive to the average consumer.

• I do think that there will be a "game" side to this that is somewhat similar to the Acceleration pack we saw in FSX. Perhaps a more modern take on some of these missions, after all that would be the path of least resistance for them. For simmers to completely write this whole sim off just because it is being released on a console is pretty sad. I really feel like the Acceleration pack, in particular, brought in a new generation of simmers into the hobby and that really helped grow the community exponentially. 

• Lastly, I'm also not as skeptical that the footage we saw in the trailer was completely doctored (the hangar scene appears to be the most CGI of anything) but, if we look at the movements of the AI they still appear to be plagued by some of the same issues we remember from FSX (baggage carts driving through planes, road traffic driving through itself or into buildings). There's also very minor instances of texture popping. I'm more optimistic I suppose, but I imagine after seeing the explosive growth and popularity of P3D and X-Plane it wouldn't surprise me that Microsoft would spend a substantial amount of time developing a new sim. If they completely developed their own engine internally they would be perfectly capable of producing these types of results as they are not as limited as engines like P3D.  I still remember when the trailer of the most recent incarnation of XP dropped everyone started making very similar comments to what I've been hearing now about MS Flight Simulator, claiming the footage is all CGI or not the actual sim etc. 

1 hour ago, Woozie said:

Who knows, maybe there still is a bunch of flightsim enthusiasts working at MS, dreaming of a new, true next gen flight sim that will provide a platform for our hobby for the next decade or two. Is this so hard to believe?

I don't think that's Microsoft's motivation for this release. I think it's just an attempt to get someone - anyone! - to use Bing maps.

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 minute ago, DaWu said:

No way. We all pray that this will be NOT a Flight v2 so we should not name it that way.

FS2020 ist absoltely fine.

Why? for goodness sake, does mot Microsoft themselves call it Microsoft Flight Simulator?

So why should we differ?

For brevity, call it MFS, as everyone shortened the previous incantation to FSX.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I was an early digital adopter, and was scanning and editing negatives and positives in Photoshop long before digital cameras were useful. I still can't think of a time when I've needed to use the term AA in relation to photography, but you're free to educate me. I'm always happy to learn something new. 

But I get your point. Claim expertice and you'd better be well armed with knowledge. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

With regard to the notion of whether what we are seeing is all 'in game footage' so to speak, one thing I suspect might possibly be occurring with that teaser vid - particularly in the case of the shot of the hangar opening with the Diamond Twin - is that could very well be a loading intro clip for the sim as it fires up (you know, the type of thing you click the option for 'do not show intro upon start up' after you've seen it once).

It certainly has that mood to it with the 'opening up the hangar and here we go' subject material. Thus it could indeed genuinely have been captured real-time if it was a 'load screen' type of affair, and therefore not be a 'blag', but also not quite what it seems. It would not be the first time such a thing has been done with video games and sims and I daresay it won't be the last time either. If this is the case, it is perhaps a little cheeky and one could even say a little misleading, but it is not actually dishonest if that genuinely is what you see when you fire the sim up.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

One thing for sure,

It's obvious that we grumpy old flight simmers need to mellow out, get our blood sugars under control, and then act as if we still remember being younger and optimistic just a wee bit more.

After all, this isn't about difficult bowel movements, but our dream hobby!  :smile:

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

With regard to the teaser, we must regard it as a trailer of whats to come... just like the movies, a little taste, a teaser, 100% of what we will most probably not be in the release!

Stephen, correctly said, about your difficult bowel movements. 

For me, it's making my piles throb!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Somehow, I doubt it... but then again, I'm probably the most negative, cynical and pessimistic person in here, by the looks of things.

Not really....LOL Many of us have been to this Happy Mountain more than once!!

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.2/8086K@5.0/EVGA 1080TI SC Black/850W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung Monitor@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/ChasePlane/General Aviation/RealAir Legacy/

1 hour ago, DaWu said:

So much talk about streaming without any proof not even a small hint that any streaming is involved.

How else do you propose that those 2 Petabyte of scenery data get to your client? That is 500 hard drives with 4 TByte each.

Best regards

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI