SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

6 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I guess it's naive and I'm getting lazier.  But, at 67 years old and many years of flight simming, I'd really like to see a sim that I can install and then not spend the next few months adding a bunch of stuff to get decent scenery, traffic, ATC, aircraft or weather.

Most, probably everyone would agree here I think. There are basically two types of addons: addons that make up for and fix things the base sim is lacking and addons that add something new. The latter will always be there, provided MS allow for it, like aircraft and airport scenery, and that's a good thing. The former, however, should really be coming with the base sim.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I guess it's naive and I'm getting lazier.  But, at 67 years old and many years of flight simming, I'd really like to see a sim that I can install and then not spend the next few months adding a bunch of stuff to get decent scenery, traffic, ATC, aircraft or weather. 

Or, if extra stuff was needed (and I know that will continue to be likely), let's add it and keep it updated within the sim.  If I have to go through the challenge of updating a Flight 1 product again, my beer fridge will quickly be empty!

Yes, the current versions of XP and P3D "work" out of the box.  But, I would never consider flying with either of them without a number of scenery addons, aircraft and other utilities. 

If a subscription system can offer that convenience, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I have the exact same feeling at about half your age!! I can't take one more re-installation of P3D!

It is so much more convenient to install addons via a marketplace. Hopefully Microsoft will build this into MSFS and charge a fair percentage, so that developers can adopt the MS Store as a standard and a full re-installation may be done in a mostly automated way.

The way it works today is a total disgrace...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Or, if extra stuff was needed (and I know that will continue to be likely), let's add it and keep it updated within the sim.  If I have to go through the challenge of updating a Flight 1 product again, my beer fridge will quickly be empty!

Yes, the current versions of XP and P3D "work" out of the box.  But, I would never consider flying with either of them without a number of scenery addons, aircraft and other utilities. 

If a subscription system can offer that convenience, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'm with you! I'm "just" in my 40s, but I'm tired of the current offerings and haven't had a sim running for about a year. With the new sim I don't see myself buying any addon unless it is integrated into the Xbox ecosystem and authorized by Microsoft, and everything is linked to a single user account. I'm not ungrateful for all the great things that 3PDs have brought to the hobby, but for me personally, it has become too complex, too expensive and too cumbersome to get it all working (together). 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Hey, I'm 24 and I am as lazy as you! 😂
I just want something that is at least at the level of other games: auto update, no external addon-manager each with their settings, ecc.

Something like steam workshop where when the developer/modder updates his product/free mod, that is automatically updated in your PC. Easy as that.

Edited by francy25
grammar errors
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

I'm 69 3/4.  I have a few aircraft.  I have Active Sky plus Cloud Art.  I have Accu-Feel.  I don't need anything else.

I once tried a scenery demo, decided it wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant having it, and uninstalled it.  Then it took a total wipe and reinstall of P3D to get rid of what it messed up elsewhere.  I'm glad it's available for those who want it.  I've seen some great screen shots.  Maybe it's just a style thing, like liking Anime style, but I like the default.  Yeah, some things could be improved.

Having a new world will be pretty cool.  Having everything under one roof, so a reinstall is a "one button click process" would be great.  Photo detail of ground textures is good.  Giving up your favorite aircraft might not be so good, but you'll develop new favorites, which you'll miss if you go back to FSX/P3D/XP11.  Any outside purchases probably won't be covered under the "one button" reinstall though.

Still looking forward to what we might get.  I'm excited by the potential of what we might see.  It'll be fun in any case.

Hook

5 hours ago, Mengy said:

There is no doubt FS2020 will stream data from the cloud to the client, it has to since it is using 2 PB of Bing data for scenery.

However, that does not mean FS2020 will absolutely be subscription based.  Microsoft has many games using their cloud today which do not require subscriptions, so FS2020 might not either.

Streaming: YES, very likely.  Subscription: we don't know.  Possibly, but probably not given their trends as of today.

Well, actually there are a lot of doubts about it, because we don't know anything yet.

They said that they've USED that amount of data for create the world, but it doesn't mean that  the final game size its 2 PB. That's really far from any other game/sim size out there right now...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I once tried a scenery demo, decided it wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant having it, and uninstalled it.  Then it took a total wipe and reinstall of P3D to get rid of what it messed up elsewhere. 

I am a GA flyer and dependent on good scenery. I had a short look upon "naked" Prepar3d after installing 4.0 - and was shocked. I own the complete ORBX product range, ORBX Global alone makes a massive difference to the default textures, but naked Prepar3d can in no way be compared to flying in the ORBX US West Coast or NZ regions. Plus, look upon default KSFO and the Flight Beam rendition, they are barely even similar.

This doesn't mean FS2020 can't still do better and it hopefully will, and yes, all those goodies take a toll in $$$, but naked Prepar3d is just a bad reference - at least in my eyes.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Locking this topic as new information has been released and a new topic was created.

• Like 1