Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

If the developers had an option to choose either Microsoft's own store OR their own - OR they had the option to market on their own platform AND Microsoft's own, then I don't think the issue would be as big for them... But I don't see that happening...

The problem arises, when developers are FORCED to choose Microsoft's Store as the ONLY way of distributing their addons! Go ask PMDG, as to why they don't think this is a great idea... I'm fairly sure, that RSR would chime in 😉 - or go find RSR's post about it, which were made with the announcement of Flight Sim World...

Any store that developers choose to sell on or market through, such as Aerosoft, X-Plane.org etc take a cut and it's anywhere between 30% and 50% depending on various factors, and some even force exclusivity. Selling instead through the Microsoft store/Steam is likely not to bother these developers at all, and personally it wouldn't bother me if I was selling airports through it.

PMDG's problem is that they want the 100% and to control everything and P3D and FSX allowed this easily. If it were to appear on MS's store, their products would be up against far cheaper ones as well, and they'd have to drop their prices (FS2020 not being a professional simulator like P3D). This of course may not be the case and MS may allow anyone to make addons and distribute as they please, but it does seem likely there will be an addon store inside the simulator itself.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

The game is on Xbox, ummm...projected sales for an in depth flight sim on this platform would be??? 2-5??? Logic! 

I agree, logic! However logic should be based on fact, most of your post isn't. Yes, 47 pages and counting and you haven't realised that it is not for Xbox and is for pc.

Go and watch the actual presentation and read the 47 pages if you are going to be that critical.

Resolution does matter. 4k is becoming the norm and they are showing that the engine is capable of running smoothly in 4k without issue.

Lastly graphics matter. The majority of users here want better visuals, if that wasn't true then why does everyone buy 3rd party add ons. Your claim that graphics dont matter is ludicrous, you may as well stick with fsx without add ons then if you want it to run super smooth and not be distracted.

It's not about neagtivity, its about logic. However, your posts aren't logical they are being negative for the sake of it while ignoring facts and what has been happening in the sun community for years.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, jacf182 said:

Many of us are talking about a new engine, vastly improved terrain/autogen generation, visual candy, etc. That's completely fine, and I cannot wait to see the improved graphics. But there's something as important in my opinion:

I hope we also get a much-needed update to the navigational data. Up-to-date waypoints, fixes, ILS, etc, with the ability to constantly keep updating them. If Microsoft partnered with companies such as Navigraph, for instance, I wouldn't mind paying $20-$30 monthly to remain updated. We definitely need an improvement to the navigational database which has run its course.

This looks current for the LA region. The waypoints are all good though I don't know what he/she thinks that frequency on Nav 1 and 2 are going to get. COM 1 is KLAX Tower.

Looking at those Eng indications I'd be wanting to land pretty smartish anyway!

Huge versions of the images for your scrutiny here (right-click and Open In New Tab); https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/media/

gffdf.jpg

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, tutmeister said:

Lastly graphics matter. The majority of users here want better visuals, if that wasn't true then why does everyone buy 3rd party add ons. Your claim that graphics dont matter is ludicrous, you may as well stick with fsx without add ons then if you want it to run super smooth and not be distracted.

Lastly, I did not say this. It's about understanding the limits of technology and staying within those limits. This is what the world does not do because they do not understand technology. They simply want more with no idea of the consequences. Companies are forced to fill those requests in order to sell their products.

Our phones have cameras that aren't anywhere near as good as they should be. Manufacturers are forced to add megapixels because public thinks megapixels are better. TV resolution is now 4K because public thinks they get a much better picture compared to standard HD. This is all wrong!

I am suggesting that people need to accept where current technology is at. Flight simming isn't ready to mimic the real world accurately and by forcing companies like MS to do this, just like phones and TV's, we end up with a poorer quality product.

Mark Daniels

Fun but totally useless fact: The MS FS E3 trailer currently has more views than the Halo Infinite E3 trailer...

2.1 vs 2.0 million views...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

by forcing companies like MS to do this

Nobody "forces" Microsoft to do anything, even if they tried. Besides, this flightsim announcement came out of the blue, even for developers - it is their very own strategy, nobody talked them into it.

That they will use satellite imagery and their own Bing GIS data, enhanced by Azure AI processing, and that they have 2 PetaByte of data to build upon, are Microsoft's own words. Everything about that has already been quoted from official sources in this thread.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Because everyone posting in this thread has watched it 50 times 🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Just now, ckyliu said:

Because everyone posting in this thread has watched it 50 times 🤣

I'm on 109

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I should have quantified "at least 50 times" 🤣 Can't see the Halo fans doing that.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Nobody "forces" Microsoft to do anything, even if they tried. Besides, this flightsim announcement came out of the blue, even for developers. That they will use satellite imagery and their own Bing GIS data, enhanced by Azure AI processing, and that they have 2 PetaByte of data to build upon, are Microsoft's own words. Everything about that has already been quoted from official sources in this thread.

Best regards

Correct, satellite imagery because people want real! It's not possible to do totally real at this point in time with computer graphics so MS now use photos to give the public what it wants. Satellite imagery will never match graphics but it's satellite imagery MS must now use because people just want and expect totally real. Well, it just can't be done and that's that.

With this decision, we must take all the pitfalls satellite imagery comes with.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

As amazing as this looks, I can recall the same kind of 'wowwee' reaction to Dovetails flightsim (although this is a few notches higher).    

There is much to be answered and clarified - but I suspect everyone will take a punt on this regardless of anything else.   

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

As amazing as this looks, I can recall the same kind of 'wowwee' reaction to Dovetails flightsim (although this is a few notches higher).  

Really? Don't recall that at all. It was clearly just another ESP product. The only thing people were impressed about was TrueSKY and their rain effects, which were good, but the rest was quickly forgotten (and so was the product).

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

@Skywatcher i find the idea of being able to fly around Google Earth 3D incredibly appealing, and I suspect of newbies will even more so. The first thing many will do after buying this is fly over their home. I think it's a good move that will bring a lot of new people in and encourage GA flying, given the opportunities to explore and navigate visually.

Yes there will be some compromises to be accepted, but on balance it's going to knock landclass based scenery in to a cocked hat. Then again I'm already converted, as I run photoscenery/ortho in P3D

• Like 3

support1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

The only thing people were impressed about was TrueSKY

This was a big factor.  But any new platform generates a buzz.

I am cautiously optimistic, but naturally pessimistic.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

With this decision, we must take all the pitfalls satellite imagery comes with.

GamesBeat: I heard that Steve Ballmer once threw a fit when he learned that there would be no more Flight Simulator. I’m sure you’ve made him happy.

Booty: It’s interesting. The very first game that Microsoft ever published was Adventure, and then I think the second one was Flight. That was a published game, and then we acquired it? I think that’s how the history goes. There’s so much going on right now.

We put up that little tag at the beginning about satellite data and Azure AI. I don’t know if you know how that works, but we’re taking satellite map data, which is amazing, because it covers the whole planet, but it has big limitations. Parts of the planet are covered at different levels of detail. In order to make a modern flight simulator at the fidelity you need, you need accurate data. We’re using machine learning to fill in the places where we don’t know more than what the satellite data tells us. We know this is a blank spot in the middle of Nevada. Here’s what the stuff around it looks like. We know what Nevada generally looks like. Now we’ll generate that procedurally. There’s a ton of cool stuff in Flight Simulator.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/12/how-microsoft-showed-up-at-e3-locked-and-loaded-for-games-a-new-console-and-the-cloud/

Nobody asked Microsoft to do a new flightsim. They are just doing it because it fits their current strategy and is a good tech demo for their capabilities. Just like it always was.

Best regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

LORBY-SI