Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

How to be prepared with new developments?

Guest ghrasko

I guess we won't have FSX SDK for a while, but I think it would be good to have some guidelines already.I myself am involved in some developments and I do not want to completely re-make things when FSX comes. A 5-6 pages gauge development guidelines that directs us towards FSX style would help a lot. Of course if gauge programming will not change, my request is void.I am especially interested in XML versus C gauge programming. I myself being a traditional C programmer am hesitating quite much in programming style already in FS9. My understanding on XML generally is that it is mostly data representation and not logic programming. A smoother combination of XML and C programming of gauges would be perhaps the best. Make all visualisation in XML and all logic in C. This is not supported 100% now. XML gauge programmers make a lot of funny tricks to interface with C code. The famuous and very useful "panel.cfg 5th parameter" can not be effectively used with XML gauges and it is the same with many other features. Simply - XML is not for logic programming.The other area is aircraft synchronisation between PCs as with FS-Net for example. That kind of solutions can synchronize only standard FS parameters. They propose some special programming style to be able to synchronize custom systems also. It is good, but it would be very good to know wether it will be compatible with FSX or not? Or will there be an even more trivial, standardised way to do that out-off-the-box?Back to the original question: when will some programming guidelines be available for those who would like to avoid complete remakes of presently starting developments? Again - I am not speaking about SDK.Gabor

Four points are begging to be made:1) XML is quite capable of advanced logic, although admittedly it is worse than un-ravelling a bowl of spaghetti... :-erks Anyone who thinks differently has evidently not spent any real time staring at the 'uncabbed' G500 XML code... :-hah 2) Bi-directional communications between C and XML is rather simple to accomplish, and trivial to program. That said, if you are already working in C, it makes no sense to use XML as a "display engine," as it's far easier to keep all the code in the C gauge... ;)3) It has been reported that the SDK's will be release at or near the time FSX is launched, so I wouldn't expect much information before then.4) It is also my impression from what's been reported thus far in the blogs and various forum replies, that not much - if anything - will be changed with the current panel system. IOW, what you are doing now will continue to function well in FSX.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest tdragger

Let me distill what Bill said even further:Don't worry...be happy!