Sign in to follow this  
Jojolo0423

New High end PC - low frames

Hi all,

I have recently bought a new PC to get back into flight sim. I’ve bought p3d and installed a few addons. I get around 20-25 FPS at flytampa EHAM in a PMDG 738 

some addons installed:

Active sky + asca, ORBX global base, and ultimate traffic live 

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought I would be getting better frames than I currently get with this rig. Am I missing anything or do I need to adjust anything?

The strange thing about the performance is that even with the low frames, my cpu and gpu usage stays below 30-40%. I have tried adjusting some sliders but none of them really make an impact.

any help would be really helpful, thanks!

Some PC specs:

Asus rog mobo

i9 9900k

gtx 2080ti

16gb of 3200 ram

P3D installed on an ssd 

did you delete your shaders and let P3D create a ne prepar3d.cfg ?

I have the same setup as you withn 32MB Ram and get outstanding frames in your scenario even with orbx TE netherlands

Carsten U

2 hours ago, Jojolo0423 said:

Active sky + asca, ORBX global base, and ultimate traffic live 

On my PC (quite similar specs) the offender was UTL (from Flight1.com). I tried everything possible but still, I had low FPS and stutters. As soon as I uninstalled the UTL, no issues.

Something was going on when it was updating traffic, unfortunately, I couldn't find the issue. I hope you have better luck with it and whatever fix you find please let us know. 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Thanks for your suggestions!

3 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

did you delete your shaders and let P3D create a ne prepar3d.cfg ?

I have the same setup as you withn 32MB Ram and get outstanding frames in your scenario even with orbx TE netherlands

How does one do this? Sorry but i'm new to P3d

46 minutes ago, killthespam said:

On my PC (quite similar specs) the offender was UTL (from Flight1.com). I tried everything possible but still, I had low FPS and stutters. As soon as I uninstalled the UTL, no issues.

Something was going on when it was updating traffic, unfortunately, I couldn't find the issue. I hope you have better luck with it and whatever fix you find please let us know. 

I have tried "toggling aircraft" on and off, but it seems to not have an effect on frames unfortunately. Do I have to uninstall UTL all together?

Take screenshots of your settings

That could be normal if you cranked your sliders

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

As Ryan mentioned, post all of your settings.  UTL can have a big impact depending on the number of AI traffic you have, especially at EHAM.  I keep it at 100 max and then can adjust up or down with a key press during my flight if needed.  Weather is also a big factor so depends on the conditions you had and cloud texture resolution, etc.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Is your 9900K overclocked?  Good frame rates require fast single-core performance on the core running the main thread--stock turbo speeds together with stock power/current limits set in the BIOS will not produce cutting-edge performance. 

When you say that you see "30-40% CPU usage", that's generally usage across all 8 cores...the most important operational metric to watch is the load on Core 0 where the main thread is running.  It's easy to have 30% total CPU load and have the main thread maxxing out core 0 at 100%.  If the core is only running at 3.6GHz because the CPU is TDP-limited, then you're going to see a reduction in frame rates.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Jojolo0423

I have the same specs (ex. memory), please try Shadow draw distance to HIGH and cloud draw distance to 70 x 80 please. Our eyes cannot see at 110 NM distance, it's a waist of PC resources. Coverage it is something that you will notice right away. 

Anyhow, with your settings (mine is a bit aggressive with  autogen and scenery draw distance) you should get easy 30 FPS and smooth simulation at JFK  with PMDG (in my case 747).

As soon as I install the ultimate traffic live I'm getting stutters and low performance (bad FPS).

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Yeah the cloud coverage range is really high...could be an issue if you had heavy clouds.  Other than that the traffic program would be a culprit....too many planes perhaps.  Overall I'd say your fps is reasonable.... especially with standard clock speed.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Try moving your Cloud Coverage Density slider one notch to the left to High instead of Maximum.
You will get a warning message on scenario loading, but you can click past it.
That change should make a noticeable difference when using ActiveSky.

I also limit the number of cloud layers in the ActiveSky's own settings to 4 instead of the default 5. Makes a big difference on my PC.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! Indeed the first cpu is running at 100%, I’ll give the cloud layers + distance a try tonight. 

3 hours ago, Jojolo0423 said:

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! Indeed the first cpu is running at 100%, I’ll give the cloud layers + distance a try tonight. 

You haven't said what % you have Ai set to. That makes a big difference. Also, instead of running Active Sky leave it off and use Clear Skies in P3D to see the difference no clouds make.

Your 2080Ti is more powerful than my 1080Ti so you can certainly increase things like Special Effects to max and High Res Terrain textures on.

I would turn off some of the receive Shadow options in Lighting. Those will be having a significant impact.

Finally, to get a better indication of performance I have a specific test I run over several minutes which gives me an accurate average fps. If you have an addon Heathrow and FSUIPC5 try this test.

Position the Cub at Rwy 28, EGLC. Slew up to 500ft and move forward at 160kts. Pass over central London and continue towards Heathrow passing over the Tower and ending the test as you reach the reservoirs to the west of the airport. It takes around 6 minutes to run the test. Don't change the speed or altitude.

Exit P3D and open FSUIPC5.log. Scroll to the end and read the min, max and average fps. The average is calculated over several minutes so will be a very accurate reading. Flying over central London and a complex airport like EGLL is a very stringent test of your system.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Corrections

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather