Sign in to follow this  
soloraj

New MS Flight Sim Insider Program Open

9 minutes ago, irrics said:

@charliearon

Do you really still use Windows XP?

lol - no way... really?  😮

Heck yeah!  Why not?  I have a good antivirus for protection.  FSX runs fine and dandy for what I want to do.  I don't have to worry about having it installed in Program Files.  I'm not a computer nerd that needs the latest and greatest.  All of the other programs work like they should, which I rarely use.

:biggrin:= Happy XP user

XP.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

Heck yeah!  Why not?  I have a good antivirus for protection.  FSX runs fine and dandy for what I want to do.  I don't have to worry about having it installed in Program Files.  I'm not a computer nerd that needs the latest and greatest.  All of the other programs work like they should, which I rarely use.

:biggrin:= Happy XP user

Because it's not just about anti-virus, and in fact, most attacks now are "file-less" and zero day attacks that makes conventional EPP useless. Windows XP was released in 2001 and even with the updates and security fixes, there may be exploits that are not patched that were long since fixed in Win 7 and Win 10, which also as mentioned has new security features that protect against the newest threats. 

The real question isn't why not use Win XP, but why? That's a rhetorical question though, as part of what makes the world a great place is we can take risks and we can do what makes us happy as long as we don't hurt others. Happy simming.

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 1

This article is 5 years old, but mentions one item that I forgot but that’s important.  Windows XP was developed without the use of Microsoft’s “Trustworthy Computing” model, and although SP1 (that was resisted by some specifically for the tighter security model) made some needed changes, it was still a 1990s architecture.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-windows-xp-users-are-more-vulnerable-to-security-threats/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 4:52 PM, irrics said:

Honestly, this product is a PERFECT fit for the subscription model.

Sub'ing and letting them keep the whole world up to date and get constantly improved and never have to be fully downloaded and stored on your own hardware sounds amazing to me!!

You took the words right out of my mouth. As long as navigation aids, SIDS, STARS, and every airport in the world stays current, I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee.

I have to do that now with Navigraph anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I also agree. I am very open to a subscription model for this and it seems like it may be a very good fit. I can even think that you could have levels of subscriptions, for example one that includes regular updates to SIDS, STARS and navigation data and a lower level that does not. Imagine the marketing possibilities! But, really, as was mentioned, we already subscribe to services like Navigraph and PFPX.

• Upvote 1

Dan Scott

I switched from P3D 4.0 to XP11 a little over a year ago.  But, this announcement is intriguing - especially the subscription aspect.  Due to other commitments, I may go some time without flying and there are often many updates to get before I can bring everything up-to-date.  It would nice to see this happen automatically.

Now, how much will be included in the base sim (ATC, traffic, weather, planning) and how much we have to add via 3rd party will affect that process and may continue to complicate the issue of staying up-to-date.

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale