Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Trueshadows for P3Dv4

Hi,

Yesterday it was released this product for P3Dv4. I have their same product for XP11 and I am very satisfied. Has anyone tried the new one for P3Dv4?

I am asking because my shadows at P3Dv4 are not as bad as the XP11 was, so I'm not sure if it will make a big difference. Any early reviews would really help.

https://secure.simmarket.com/mwp-projects-trueshadows-p3d4.phtml

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

It didn't do much for me in x-plane, and there's scarce support- a lot of people are complaining on the forums over there, so buyer beware is my advice.  There are a number of free plugins that do pretty much the same thing, and P3D really doesn't need it from what I can see, unless I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

Wow...we're now paying over $16 for new shadows???😕  You can go into the P3D .cfg and change the 'opaque_shadow_texture_size' to 4096 or 8192 and you will get nice crisp shadows in the VC. Shader tools like PTA can help adjust shadow size and darkness/contrast outside and inside the VC as well.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

The truth is that P3D shadows are too far from perfect. Small model features cast jagged shadows and not complete shadows, both in the VC and the external view. Also autogen shadows flash when from a distance, very annoying. I don't bash this product as others do, I think it has a reason to exist. Yes, I would prefer that LM addressed that, but they don't..Also the XP version for me worked wonders, I dont know why others are so negative. The shadow quality I got from TrueShadows is much much better than any LUA script mod.

Edited by Daedalus

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Christ, they really find every nook and cranny to nickel and dime people.

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Exactly.

To maximize performance I did it the other way round and am using 50% of the opaque shadow value.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Tried it and at first I was happy for the appearance but annoyed because of the induced lag (staggering movements of the aircraft and flight- short pausing and jump to the next frame).  Frustration grew more as i tried to undue what was execute by the program.  It took me a while to discover that the adjustment was made to the cfg.  Once located, I reduced the values to half to gain better performance (and even turned some back to there original setting).  The product does what it says it does but comes at an expense.  Is the tool/ knowledge worth the 16 eur......not really (shame on me, they caught me out).  

ugcx_banner.png

1 hour ago, usaboy said:

Tried it and at first I was happy for the appearance but annoyed because of the induced lag (staggering movements of the aircraft and flight- short pausing and jump to the next frame).  Frustration grew more as i tried to undue what was execute by the program.  It took me a while to discover that the adjustment was made to the cfg.  Once located, I reduced the values to half to gain better performance (and even turned some back to there original setting).  The product does what it says it does but comes at an expense.  Is the tool/ knowledge worth the 16 eur......not really (shame on me, they caught me out).  

So you mean, that the tool just adjusted the values in the root P3D.CFG? Could be, but that would be a expensive lesson for a buyer. Cheers, Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

absolutely,  An expense I could have not incurred..(gladly saved for scenery).  I thought it was more to it but I could not locate any file or separate script folder after running the tool.  So I ventured into the cfg after two attempts to contact the developer (to no avail).  Found the difference between a prior cfg before the Trueshadow modified and reverted.

ugcx_banner.png

7 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

Does this addon fix the cloud shadow appear/disappear issue?

Made no explicit claim to this only improved cloud shadows (which I can't say in what way and therefore maybe marginal improvements)

ugcx_banner.png

On 6/11/2019 at 5:03 AM, Sethos1988 said:

Exactly, why pay for something you already have.

fly safe.

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

On 6/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, usaboy said:

The product does what it says it does but comes at an expense.  Is the tool/ knowledge worth the 16 eur......not really (shame on me, they caught me out).  

Please leave a negative review to help prevent other simmers from being duped out of their money.

The amount being charged for it doing "what it says it does" is not commensurate with the effort/work/skill required.

Frankly, no amount of money should be charged for such a simple tweak. It is therefore a con and should be exposed as such.

(Sorry that you found out the hard way).

Edited by F737NG
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

On 6/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, Oliver Ooi said:

Does this addon fix the cloud shadow appear/disappear issue?

I got semi excited when I saw this thread..

I’d pay a little bit of money to have this shadow appearing and disappearing problem fixed. I was hoping someone would come along with an external 3rd party development to fix this.

But not the case. 😕