Daedalus

Trueshadows for P3Dv4

It didn't do much for me in x-plane, and there's scarce support- a lot of people are complaining on the forums over there, so buyer beware is my advice.  There are a number of free plugins that do pretty much the same thing, and P3D really doesn't need it from what I can see, unless I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

Wow...we're now paying over $16 for new shadows???😕  You can go into the P3D .cfg and change the 'opaque_shadow_texture_size' to 4096 or 8192 and you will get nice crisp shadows in the VC. Shader tools like PTA can help adjust shadow size and darkness/contrast outside and inside the VC as well.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

The truth is that P3D shadows are too far from perfect. Small model features cast jagged shadows and not complete shadows, both in the VC and the external view. Also autogen shadows flash when from a distance, very annoying. I don't bash this product as others do, I think it has a reason to exist. Yes, I would prefer that LM addressed that, but they don't..Also the XP version for me worked wonders, I dont know why others are so negative. The shadow quality I got from TrueShadows is much much better than any LUA script mod.

Edited by Daedalus

Posted (edited)

Christ, they really find every nook and cranny to nickel and dime people.

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Exactly.

To maximize performance I did it the other way round and am using 50% of the opaque shadow value.

• Like 1

Tried it and at first I was happy for the appearance but annoyed because of the induced lag (staggering movements of the aircraft and flight- short pausing and jump to the next frame).  Frustration grew more as i tried to undue what was execute by the program.  It took me a while to discover that the adjustment was made to the cfg.  Once located, I reduced the values to half to gain better performance (and even turned some back to there original setting).  The product does what it says it does but comes at an expense.  Is the tool/ knowledge worth the 16 eur......not really (shame on me, they caught me out).  

1 hour ago, usaboy said:

Tried it and at first I was happy for the appearance but annoyed because of the induced lag (staggering movements of the aircraft and flight- short pausing and jump to the next frame).  Frustration grew more as i tried to undue what was execute by the program.  It took me a while to discover that the adjustment was made to the cfg.  Once located, I reduced the values to half to gain better performance (and even turned some back to there original setting).  The product does what it says it does but comes at an expense.  Is the tool/ knowledge worth the 16 eur......not really (shame on me, they caught me out).  

So you mean, that the tool just adjusted the values in the root P3D.CFG? Could be, but that would be a expensive lesson for a buyer. Cheers, Marcus

absolutely,  An expense I could have not incurred..(gladly saved for scenery).  I thought it was more to it but I could not locate any file or separate script folder after running the tool.  So I ventured into the cfg after two attempts to contact the developer (to no avail).  Found the difference between a prior cfg before the Trueshadow modified and reverted.

7 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

Does this addon fix the cloud shadow appear/disappear issue?

Made no explicit claim to this only improved cloud shadows (which I can't say in what way and therefore maybe marginal improvements)

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 5:03 AM, Sethos1988 said:

Exactly, why pay for something you already have.

fly safe.

Edited by mokeiko

The P3D freeware community continues to quickly die off, ugh.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, usaboy said:

The product does what it says it does but comes at an expense.  Is the tool/ knowledge worth the 16 eur......not really (shame on me, they caught me out).  

Please leave a negative review to help prevent other simmers from being duped out of their money.

The amount being charged for it doing "what it says it does" is not commensurate with the effort/work/skill required.

Frankly, no amount of money should be charged for such a simple tweak. It is therefore a con and should be exposed as such.

(Sorry that you found out the hard way).

Edited by F737NG
  • Upvote 3

On 6/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, Oliver Ooi said:

Does this addon fix the cloud shadow appear/disappear issue?

I got semi excited when I saw this thread..

I’d pay a little bit of money to have this shadow appearing and disappearing problem fixed. I was hoping someone would come along with an external 3rd party development to fix this.

But not the case. 😕

5 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I got semi excited when I saw this thread..

I’d pay a little bit of money to have this shadow appearing and disappearing problem fixed. I was hoping someone would come along with an external 3rd party development to fix this.

But not the case. 😕

Unfortunately I'm not sure this can be fixed without cutting all our frame-rates in half.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2