Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Interesting OS performance tip for P3D

I found this on youtube:

I can't try it yet, I'm deep in the reinstall.

Any of your thoughts and considerations on this?

Thanks

A reboot before using Prepar3D (or any application) will probably do the same thing.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

8 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

A reboot before using Prepar3D (or any application) will probably do the same thing

But takes a lot longer.

So far, the little programm does clear the RAM cache as it should.

But I'm also interested if this would help in FS performance?

So far I can't see any negative impact 

• Like 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used CleanMem in the past... easier to set-up and manage than using Task Scheduler.  I have tried CleanMem with Windows 10/16GB of fast RAM and saw no difference in sim or OS performance.  Of course, the You Tuber doesn't mention his system specs so it's difficult to know if other parts of his computer could be causing his slow loading (i.e.: is he using a hard drive versus something like a fast NVMe drive?).  Clearing the RAM cache may be useful for folks with limited RAM/loading from a hard drive/bloated sim/cludged-up OS.

For anyone who wishes to test this all out without configuring it all in Task Scheduler, here is easily configured (freeware) CleanMem: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/downloadnow/6646/?evp=92d913d97862d2fd88d35e8868c352d5&file=

Greg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

A reboot before using Prepar3D (or any application) will probably do the same thing.

Either you didn't watch it attentively enough or did not understand the idea. The author shows that Cache keeps bloating quite fast when P3D is running. So no reboot would help you long enough.

• Upvote 1

Most people will have enough free ram left without it being clogged even under demanding circumstances. 

Cache (or "ka-shey") serves a certain purpose. It's not just a surplus appendage. While I didn't explore that option, my experience had thought me  so far that fiddling with the OS like this has usually very little to offer in the way of improvement but opens the door to a lot of potential, difficult to trace, problems.

Clearing the cache is defeating the concept of taking advantage of reusing data already in memory.

Cache will be (partially) cleared when OS needs to load new data that don't fit in remaining free RAM.

I doubt of any improvement for the sim.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, gaab said:

Clearing the cache is defeating the concept of taking advantage of reusing data already in memory. Cache will be (partially) cleared when OS needs to load new data that don't fit in remaining free RAM. I doubt of any improvement for the sim.

This. If the system gets under RAM pressure, it simply uses some of the RAM previously used by file cache. No improvement.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Indeed, you actually *want* your caching process to fill up the available RAM...that's the whole idea, to have the data readily-available in fast RAM when it's needed, not all your RAM sitting empty and unused.  Trying to force data out of the cache is contrary to the very purpose of caching, and chasing a metric that promotes clearing data from it is counterproductive.  If/when the memory approaches full usage, the OS will swap out less-recently used data to make room for data still being actively accessed. 

These memory "optimizers" have been around since the DOS days, and I have yet to see a reputable test demonstrate any improvement at all.  Sure, you'll get lots of testimonials from users claiming big improvements, but then you'll get the same thing from completely bald guys swearing that Uncle Bill's Hair Tonic grew all their hair back.  Or maybe it was the hair *on* their back... OK, well, you get the idea.  😜

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

44 minutes ago, w6kd said:

These memory "optimizers" have been around since the DOS days,

QEMM anyone?  :biggrin:

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Now you're talking....

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

49 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Yeah, I experimented with that, too.  A hallmark of my misspent youth no doubt.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

QEMM actually provided tangible benefits - it was an EMS and XMS provider, as well as providing access to >640K.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Over a few seconds extrem stutters and hang each time it clears the RAM, i saw no improvement in frames

regards

Michael Franz