Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Interesting OS performance tip for P3D

47 minutes ago, Luke said:

QEMM actually provided tangible benefits

As did it's brother-in-memory-management-arms, QRAM!  As I recollect, QRAM worked with 286 series CPU's as well as 8086.

Hey wait!!!  I have on of them-there 8086 CPU's in my system now (see sig... not sure what the "K" means :biggrin:).  Maybe QRAM can help my current system perform better?  :rolleyes:

Greg

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

QEMM anyone?  :biggrin:

You are dating yourself :) Was a user of QEMM and Expanded Memory (remember that)?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

As others have said above, this seems counterproductive to what benefits caching provides.  If there is truly a tangible benefit in P3D, color me surprised.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

17 hours ago, Luke said:

QEMM actually provided tangible benefits - it was an EMS and XMS provider, as well as providing access to >640K.

Cheers!

Luke

And not just that. Remember the shuffling of files in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, and the struggle to have enough free memory in the first 640K, so games wouldn't crash  ? Like when you had to comment your CD-Rom driver, because it took too much ram and restart the PC, possibly different configurations, one with CD-Rom + Mouse + Soundblaster, another one without the CD-Rom, another one with nothing loaded ?

QEMM made some very clever tricks to move such drivers into XMS/EMS and even unused spaces between 640K and 1MB, allowing to have more free ram in the first 640K. The most famous case of memory struggling was Falcon 3.0, which required almost all 640K available to start, so it was quite tricky to run without something like QEMM.

Takes me back to my youth lol. Never had issuse with RAM but I have noticed with TE GB fills my 16Gig  and Vram for that sake minimal settings . Asked ORBX but thay have given up on customer support just want your money now and if does not work go to xplane

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d