Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

cold start in FSX

Guest grapesh

On a different note :)Is there any word if we'll be able to choose between cold and hot start in FSX? I'm curious just because many of us like to do "real" prestart, even on basic planes. And, sometimes, it's just nice to hear ambient airport noises (and wind) before cranking up engine. By the way, are we going to hear those newly-introduced birds too? :)

Guest Bell206freak

YES.. I am NOT ALONE!I cannot tell you how sick I am at having to kill the turbine in the default Bell JetRanger (or Owen Hewitt's for that matter), only to have to start it up to get that "true" start up feeling. It's not very realistic to hop in an aircraft that's already running, is it? IMO, every time you get ready for a flight, you should have to do a virtual "pre-flight" on it and then run through the checklists as you start the aircraft up. I do all the time.-Steve

Guest skruer

Amen to that!Nothing else to be said, you guys said it all! :D

Unfortunately for your view, the vast majority of Flight Simulator purchasers need to be able to fly out "of the box". They don't want/need/understand complex start-up procedures and if they had to lesarn them before they could fly they'd soon become disatisfied customers.Anyway, you can stop making yourself sick by saving your flights in a "cold and dark" state and beginning from there. This seems to be yet another request for a facility that we already have.

Guest grapesh

If you'd have Hot Start setting "on" by default, you'll be able to fly out of the box. But I'm sure it will please many to be able to go to settings and have it "off" instead of doing that re-saving trick. It is something too artificial and I don't see why not having a selection Hot Start/Cold Start in Settings menu instead. IMO, that's another feature that is "almost" done in FS9 and hopefully can be completely done in FSX. Cheers,

>Unfortunately for your view, the vast majority of Flight>Simulator purchasers need to be able to fly out "of the box".>They don't want/need/understand complex start-up procedures>and if they had to lesarn them before they could fly they'd>soon become disatisfied customers.In this case, to satisfy the casual/dummy users or "gamers", FSX may display a text message like "Press E to start engines" as implemented in some combat flight simulators (I guess Microsoft CFS has this feature), while giving the serious users the option to bypass the "E" key and to carry out a manual and realistic engine startup.-Emerson

I have a cold start in flight sim already by replacing the default file with a modified one. There are things such as the magnetos and radios which are still turned to on but at least its cold :)

As usual, some folks are missing the point. IF you set up the default flight as "cold and dark," SAVE it, exit the sim, then restart FS9......every flight you Create or Load will be "cold and dark."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jrobert

>Unfortunately for your view, the vast majority of Flight>Simulator purchasers need to be able to fly out "of the box".>They don't want/need/understand complex start-up procedures>and if they had to lesarn them before they could fly they'd>soon become disatisfied customers.>>Anyway, you can stop making yourself sick by saving your>flights in a "cold and dark" state and beginning from there.>This seems to be yet another request for a facility that we>already have.I would have to agree with mgh on this. I usually have the flight simulator start the Previous Flight situation. That way, where ever my aircraft is when I left the game is where it will be when I return to the game. Moreover, when you start with the Previous Flight, the aicraft will retain its configuration - i.e. whether it's started or cold-n-dark. This is the way I've been doing this for the past several versions of flight simulator.In my humble opinion, there is no need for an option to have the aircraft start from a cold-n-dark or ready-to-fly state. It's already there - as mgh pointed out.Regards,Joshua Robertson (Creator of FS Real Time)3D Softworks Design Studioshttp://www.3dsoftworks.net

Guest grapesh

Hmmm... I don't think so. I just tried again: If I save cold and dark and set as default, my next flight within one session starts cold and dark. If I exit flight sim and run it again, I have to load that cold and dark flight again, close it, and then load my intended location/plane. It means, any time I restart FS, I need to load that "cold cockpit" flight and close it before doing my own flight. Do you think it is easier than having one checkbox in Settings menu?

Guest jrobert

>Hmmm... I don't think so. I just tried again: If I save cold>and dark and set as default, my next flight within one session>starts cold and dark. If I exit flight sim and run it again, I>have to load that cold and dark flight again, close it, and>then load my intended location/plane. >>It means, any time I restart FS, I need to load that "cold>cockpit" flight and close it before doing my own flight. Do>you think it is easier than having one checkbox in Settings>menu?I don't mean to argue with you but I've never had that problem. I've been saving my flights cold-n-dark for as long as I can remember. When I return to the game, it always loads cold-n-dark. It doesn't matter which aircraft (or heli) I use.Now having said that, I do know there are several third-party aircraft that don't use the Microsoft Flight Simulator simulation engine but rather they use their own simulation engine which is usually required to simulate a feature thats beyond the limitations of what Microsoft Flight Simulator can do. The PMDG 747 Queen of the Sky is a perfect example of this.Regards,Joshua Robertson (Creator of FS Real Time)3D Softworks Design Studioshttp://www.3dsoftworks.net

Guest grapesh

If I fly the same aircraft and I want to start from whatever state I left it last time, I just load that last flight, as you said, no problem. But if I create a new flight first time I start FS, it starts hot anytime... even with default airplanes...

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Unfortunately for your view, the vast majority of FlightSimulator purchasers need to be able to fly out "of the box".They don't want/need/understand complex start-up proceduresand if they had to lesarn them before they could fly they'dsoon become disatisfied customers.Anyway, you can stop making yourself sick by saving yourflights in a "cold and dark" state and beginning from there.This seems to be yet another request for a facility that wealready have.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Yeah, but then you'd lose another feature of Flight Simulator that's available right at start-up. You'd lose the ability to create your own flight from your own selected airport, with your own selected weather and lighting conditions. Quite frankly, I hated it when Flight Simulator loaded on my PC with the "Default flight" at KSEA loading, and it took weeks of frustration to get that feature bypassed so I could select my own starting parameters.How about a "selectable option" on the starting screen?

Guest jrobert

>Yeah, but then you'd lose another feature of Flight Simulator>that's available right at start-up. You'd lose the ability to>create your own flight from your own selected airport, with>your own selected weather and lighting conditions. There is a feature that's undocumented in flight simulator 2004. It seems that some if not most of you are having the flight simulator boot up into the opening screen instead of directly into the simulation. There is a way to disable the opening screen and it involves editing a single line in the fs9.cfg file.For my flight simulator setup, I've disabled the opening screen so that the flight simulator boots directly to the simulation. I always start with the previous flight and that obviously positions my aircraft at the last location where I left the game. If you want to start at a different airport, then whats the big deal about selecting from the "World" menu, the "Go to airport..." option and pick your airport? At least that's what I do. Same goes for your aircraft. Goto the "Aircraft" menu and pick "Select Aircraft...".The point I'm making here is that even though I alway start with the previous flight situation, that does not mean that I'm locked into flying from that particular location - using that particular aircraft.BTW: If you're interested in disabling the opening screen, follow the instructions for Bypassing the Splash Screen in the Tweaks FAQ article at the FS Insider website here: http://www.fsinsider.com/support/tweaks_faq.htmRegards,Joshua Robertson (Creator of FS Real Time)3D Softworks Design Studioshttp://www.3dsoftworks.net

Hi SV.Unless we are misunderstanding what you want or how you start FS9, Cold Start flight should be possible. I use it all the time with hands off operation using