Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

How do I? Flight Planning and ATC coordination

Hi All,

A simple question Regarding flight planning but I don't know the answer. I have a commercial Aircraft (iFly B737 in my case) and if  I use a flight planning tool (e.g. Simbrief or FSbuild etc) to build a flight plan for my aircraft's FMS, then how do I file it with the inbuilt ATC  system. So both the aircraft's FMS and the flightsim's ATC are on the same page so to speak. Sounds silly to ask but I just don't know the answer. I have in the past built  a native  Flightsim flight plan and then typed each leg into the FMS but there must be a better way. I would appreciate some advice on this topic. Thanks in advance.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Not sure of that model as I don't have it in my hanger, but there should be the option in the FMS to load a flight plan I think.

Yes, loading the flight plan into the FMS is covered what I want know is: "How I load the flight plan into the default ATC system"

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Save as IFR not VFR

atc will tell you were to fly, but unlikely to be exact with your magenta line on you nav display.

otherwise, save as VFR, contact tower for takeoff clearance, follow your flight plan and ATC will tell you who to contact along your way

Luke Pype

Just so the last reply is clear, you can use a third party flight planner mentioned in the OP, save the to FSX format, and load it into the FSX flight planner before beginning your flight.  The ATC will then be on the same page with your FMC.  You can also open an IFR flight plan in the ATC window and select the file of your flight plan to load.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Thanks but I'm not sure that the flight plan for the A/C FMS would be in the same format as required by the ATC. I could of course build the same flight plan with the inbuilt flight planner for ATC use but then one is doing the same thing twice which is what I would like to avoid.

John

If you're using simbrief you would save multiple files, one for your on board FMS in whatever format it wants and one in pln format to load into the sims flight planner/ATC. The simbrief downloader makes this easy to do. 

Thank you very much Sojourned just what I needed to understand.

• Like 1

John