Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

Major Pain - Please fix for FSX

Guest A32X

Hi,As I'm sure you know, you need CD4 in the cd drive to launch FS9. However, as a hardcore user, this CD is nearly always in use. Anyway, I got a few scratches on it and it no longer reads a few files so I could no longer install FS9, after I did an uninstall. Hence I had to buy another copy.Please remove the CD/DVD dependence! This problem is not uncommon - goggle it.

As a hardcore user, then, you must understand that from certain points of view there's more to having the CD in the drive than providing an annoyance to simmers? And it's not always in use; it's used at the sim startup. Nothing more. And a search of this forum would tell you it's been discussed: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchForum searches work - "goggle" that...

Why is not possible to buy it online and just download it, i buy many games from http://www.direct2drive.com/ , its much easier. And with fast broadband available most places 10-35mbit or faster its no pain, and no one has to worry about scratches.

Guest kurtj

>Hi,>>As I'm sure you know, you need CD4 in the cd drive to launch>FS9. However, as a hardcore user, this CD is nearly always in>use. Anyway, I got a few scratches on it and it no longer>reads a few files so I could no longer install FS9, after I>did an uninstall. Hence I had to buy another copy.>>Please remove the CD/DVD dependence! This problem is not>uncommon - goggle it.I agree with that. I wish it would be like fs2002 Pro. You only need the cd to install and mind as well keep it pristine so you can install it if your program crashes or you need to clean off your computer.

then stop giving "backup copies" to friends and family (maybe not you in particular but people in general).

Guest Surge

We just need an online license setup like WinXP that work on a unique key generated from hardware components.I've seen quite a lot of games and simulators that rely on this method and it's very effective at stoping casual copying.Or just use the patched (9.1) crack like I do.Yes, I have a paid for copy of FS9 but I don't like to play disk jockey all the time or risk losing my disks. I had to save up for 2 years to buy FS9 and I don't feel like saving for another two years to buy a replacement copy.Paul

>then stop giving "backup copies" to friends and family (maybe>not you in particular but people in general).I'm curious: Are there any hard facts, like a survey, to backup the notion that Microsoft Flight Simulator is actually being distributed over the world's file sharing/cd pirating infrastructure?I can appreciate that fact that teenagers crack and copy their games. The attention span is fairly limited (every favorite game is quickly replaces by another within a month or so) and their economy is usually, well, not actually THEIR economy but their parents. Microsoft Flight Simulator isn't even a game after all. I can only assume the vast majority of people wanting to delve deep into a SIMULATOR(!) are 30+ dudes (and the occasional "dudette") with jobs and a firm interest in aviation. I therefore believe that the vast majority do pay for it.Does Microsoft care to contradict this?

You don't need a survey. Just take a look at the binary newsgroups. FS2004 has been available there three years now. And it was widely available on pirated CD's the day after release.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

your assumption that the majority of users are the hardcare is wrong.There are several million copies of FS2004 in use worldwide, of those the hardcore users are at most a few tens of thousands (or a few percent).So over 95% of all copies are in the hands of people who see it as a passtime and likely drop it after a few weeks like any other game.That's most of the target market for pirates as well.And oh, if FS weren't in the piracy circuit it would be one of the only entertainment titles from the last 25 years that isn't, highly unlikely given the number of copies in circulation and the fact that tools to enable such pirated copies to work (no-CD cracks, etc.) are openly distributed online (and worse, several "reputable" sites openly distribute Microsoft intellectual property which effectively turns the normal versions of FS2000 and 2002 into the pro versions).

> You don't need a survey. Just take a look at the binary>newsgroups. FS2004 has been available there three years now.>And it was widely available on pirated CD's the day after>release.>>DougWell then, if that's the case, what's the point of keeping a copy protection scheme that clearly isn't working? Either it needs to be replaced (how about a private key scheme?) or remove it alltogether. I have to say it's even more bothering to know that we, the paying customers, are the only ones that needs to put up with the disc shuffling while the pirates doesn't.

I don't mind the copy-protection as it's just a fact that it's needed. But I agree that there has to be a better way to do it than having to put a CD into the drive. Especially since that's so easily defeated. And you're right, the guys with the pirated copy have a much easier time of it in that regard than those of us who actually paid for the discs. Maybe the team will come up with a better approach this time.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

It's a relatively cheap solution that stops at least some piracy and likely has earned itself back.If an activation scheme were to be used there'd be even more complaints about FSX being "spyware" and it being "unfair" to people updating their hardware or not having an internet connection (just read the storm of protest when WinXP was released from kids who now no longer could buy one copy for the entire extended family).I have a watertight solution to piracy (and one that doesn't involve not releasing any more software), but you'd not like it one little bit.It would not make piracy impossible but would cause the idiot handing out his license information to pirates to loose a lot of money automatically.

My Disk 4 is now put away!I bought a BFG NVidia 7800 card a few weeks ago, and a special piece of software came with it......GAME DRIVE 9.0. After loading it, it creates a Virtual Drive (It can create as many as you want). The Virtual Drive has a copy of Disk 4 on it now. FS9 works perfectly and as a benefit, it supposedly loads faster from your hard drive than it does from a disk.I'm sure you can buy GAME DRIVE, because there is an opportunity to upgrade the free version to a professional version on the disk.Hope this helps.

Guest BOPrey

Hey, I am a software developer and would like to learn about your scheme. Currently, my software is protected by a hardware key and it frequently checks our server for key verification. On top of that, each customer has a unique key. Also the software cannot be started from a debugger and ramdom parts of the executable is encripted as well. What is your scheme?