Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How is iFly Jets - The 737NG compared to PMDG 737NGX ?

Has anyone tried out both the
PMDG 737NGX 800/900
and
iFly Jets 737NG

How do they compare. Is one better than the other and if so in what way ?

Honestly, I have never tried both, so you can ignore this. However, from what I've seen... the general consensus is that both planes are great. They both simulate most of the typical operations. The PMDG does go a bit more in depth on systems than the ifly, overall, and you can simulate more failures, etc. So it's considered to be the better modeled (not sure if I should state it that way) plane. To be fair, the iFly does do things that the current iteration of the PMDG doesn't, like RF legs. Note that PMDG is currently working on the NG3 for their 737's, so that will change things. I deeply respect both developers and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend both.

*Note* Also wanted to add in that iFly stated that after the next service pack (I don't think it has been released yet), they will cease development on the 737NG series.

Edited by Kevin_28
Additional info that may be important in deciding
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kevin_28 said:

that way) plane. To be fair, the iFly does do things that the current iteration of the PMDG doesn't, like RF legs. Note that PMDG is currently working on the NG3 for their 737's, so that will change things. I deeply respect both developers and I wouldn't

What is RF legs ?

Does NG3 mean they are doing a new version of the same 737NGX 800/900 ?

1 hour ago, jfri said:

What is RF legs ?

Does NG3 mean they are doing a new version of the same 737NGX 800/900 ?

Without going too much into detail, an RF leg is basically a set curve path between two waypoints, on approach, to avoid obstacles or follow landmarks, etc. It also takes your plane's performance capabilities into account. They are used commonly in RNAV RNP approaches to save track miles/time/fuel/etc.

Yes PMDG are doing a new version of the NGX. I'm not exactly sure what's going to be included, more details to come.

Edited by Kevin_28

I have both and for me the PMDG is better.  But, timing and purpose should be your criteria.  Less expensive to purchase the iFly now than the PMDG.  But, this depends on what is your purpose.  Are you looking for a reliable high fidelity simulation with good, friendly, support or the B738/9 with an additional purchase for the 736/7, or are you looking for a very good simulation of the NGX, which includes all types, reasonably priced?  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Should include that the iFly also has good, friendly support.  I use the iFly Cockpit Builder's edition, and they have a very nice package for the price.  The most recent service pack upgraded all of the panels and paints to high definition quality.  They have one more service pack coming out soon and then they are done updating it. That doesn't mean they will stop supporting it.  It came out 10 years ago, so providing free updates for 10 years is pretty impressive.

There are many cockpit builders that get their 'upgraded' version which basically allows mult-computer use.  That being said, it is a very good representation, and you get the 736/7/8/9 for a very good price.

They are currently working on the 737 MAX as their next major release which will be a new product using the P3D SDK and strictly 64bit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

2 hours ago, kenz said:

iFly are very good planes, so sad they used their talent to go on the same field as PMDG, they should have made a 757, a MD11, the possibilities were huge, but they had to choose 737NG and 747....

Good point!  And the 767, if I may add...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The support for the IFLY 737 is very good and the team is still doing updates for it.I know PMDG is doing a update for theirs but no idea when.

JeffG

Jeffrey Gerbert

iFly if you have hardware to interface, PMDG has nothing like a cockpit edition yet. It's not a bad jet at all , just the PMDG does look better. Functionally they are pretty close. Each has their own benefits and detraction's...

I am watching this topic.  I too am interested in the comparison between both iFly and PMDG.  The iFly is still on sale for a few more days and I am inching closer to that one.  I have no high level 737 in my current stable.  Not into simulating failures but I want a nice 737 with a decent semi high level systems.    So I am thinking for me the iFly will be a good choice since I am really an intermediate level flight simmer and want to learn more.  I am not up there with the pros yet!..lol

Can somebody share how the iFly FD performes during manual ILS APPR?

Reason I ask is because PMDG FD doesn't do a great job (innacurate during APPR). I also opened a thread in the PMDG 737 forum section but it was "talked down" by some. I've read that the same FD behaviour is found in other PMDG planes. I find it missleading because even if followed perfectly (centered always), the "diamond" walses from left to right.

A side note for those not understanding what I ask: Please try to do a manual APPR on a ILS in low visibility (or simply cover your view with panels/display so you can't see the RWY). For those who say "I did that" would you please mind linking a video of that?

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

9 hours ago, SAX702 said:

I have both and for me the PMDG is better.  But, timing and purpose should be your criteria.  Less expensive to purchase the iFly now than the PMDG.  But, this depends on what is your purpose.  Are you looking for a reliable high fidelity simulation with good, friendly, support or the B738/9 with an additional purchase for the 736/7, or are you looking for a very good simulation of the NGX, which includes all types, reasonably priced?  

Here I think I should give some background to why I started the thread.

I already have PMDG 737NGX 800/900 and it is the FSX version which I use in FSX SE. I think this plane is of highest quality.
I don't yet own P3D 4 (have P3D 2) but I consider buying it. For that purpose I have just upgraded my memory from 8 to 16 Gb. To that come that I've been told that also my GTX 970 would need to be upgraded.
I am aware that the 737 version I have also exist for P3D. But there is no way I can motivate why to pay a high full price for the very same plane in order to use it in P3D. But maybe if a new version arrives. I see that Flight1 sells the iFly at discounted price and from the description I get the impression that it could be as advanced as the PMDG.

So the question more precisely is how does the iFly 737 in P3D 4 compare to the PMDG 737 in FSX SE ?

PMDG will release the new 737 when finished rumour has it they are still working on max which has delayed it, as they are trying get the realistic affect of nose down after take off 😁

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 minutes ago, jfri said:

I already have PMDG 737NGX 800/900 and it is the FSX version which I use in FSX SE. I think this plane is of highest quality.
I don't yet own P3D 4 (have P3D 2) but I consider buying it. For that purpose I have just upgraded my memory from 8 to 16 Gb. To that come that I've been told that also my GTX 970 would need to be upgraded.
I am aware that the 737 version I have also exist for P3D. But there is no way I can motivate why to pay a high full price for the very same plane in order to use it in P3D.

You more or less answered your own question. 737NGX for FSX is "identical" with the version for P3D (same features, same dynamics, same ....). I think that if you realy enjoyed it in FSX, you will hardly find a replacement for it <- my opinion.

Look in my signature: I also fly with the GTX 970....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech