Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Time to move on to WIN10 Question/s

Currently running Win7 Ultimate with good performance for P3dv4.5. Lots of add-ons (ORBX, HiFi, Ult Traffic Live, etc).  Does Win10 give to option of upgrading without a clean install or should I just bite the bullet and plan on spending a week or soo getting everything back?

Advice and suggestions appreciated.

I realize another option is to build another PC but I've already built enough.

Maybe there is a new laptop that will run P3D and use my 35" monitor

Obviously I am a bit out of date

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

My other desktop PC was windows 7 I did the free upgrade 18months ago that leaves your pc programs intact, but a reformat and new install will not. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The upgrade deletes software that isn't compatible with W10. I think a laptop that will do what you want is going to cost some big bucks. Most don't come with a decent GPU. Much cheaper to build a desktop, and not that hard. A clean install is always best (sorry, man).

• Upvote 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

If you have software that`s not compatible with W10 then you need to update that as well it must be very old software, and you may find a problem in the future in that addons created with new tools in windows 10 will not run on W7.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Personally, I think a clean install is better than an upgraded OS.  I've heard a number of people complaining about problems with Windows 10 and the majority of complaints seem to come from upgraded computers.  Those who had clean installs of Windows 10 seem to be much happier with Windows 10.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

A few months ago I upgraded to W10 via MS website. I was, I admit, a bit apprehensive but thought *&£$ it. I had W7 Professional and the update went very smoothly and I was delighted to get W10 Professional. It took a little while to bang it into shape and look pretty much like W7. The only minor 'glitch' was that some drivers needed updating, easily solve by using IObit's Driver Booster. I couldn't be happier with my experience. I do tend to let computer programs, whatever they are, take their own course and not get clever with them. I wonder if that's the basis of a lot of problems folks have. Having said that, I agree that logically a clean install would be better.

That begs the question; If one wants to reinstall a fresh copy of W10 how does one go about it?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

That begs the question; If one wants to reinstall a fresh copy of W10 how does one go about it?

You can use the "media creation tool" to download the iso. Good idea to use a USB drive for this. Or for a currently installed windows 10, you can use "Fresh Start".

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-the-fresh-start-feature-in-windows-10-creators-update/

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

bite the bullet and spend the week installing everything (OS included) from scratch. I can't honestly recommend doing it any other way.

3 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

You can use the "media creation tool" to download the iso. Good idea to use a USB drive for this. Or for a currently installed windows 10, you can use "Fresh Start".

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-the-fresh-start-feature-in-windows-10-creators-update/

Now I remember how I did it. With that very link. I thought you had to have a legit copy of W7 to use that. Are you saying that the USB stick I have iso on IS a W10 installation?

It's a standard ISO file that can be used for clean or upgrade install. The licence might be another matter though. As long as there was a windows 7 or 10 install on this machine before, there should be no problems with the licence. A new install on a new motherboard/cpu might be a different matter Ron.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Having thought about it, new install would ask if I wanted to format C. so it would make a note of the version already installed.

Fresh install = nonsense.

We're not talking about Windows NT or Windows XP here. Do what you want, but I'd say do the update with what you have, provided you have the free space on your boot drive.

I've updated 3 computers (2 pc and 1 laptop) with zero problems.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

On 6/13/2019 at 8:59 PM, RichieFly said:

Fresh install = nonsense.

We're not talking about Windows NT or Windows XP here. Do what you want, but I'd say do the update with what you have, provided you have the free space on your boot drive.

I've updated 3 computers (2 pc and 1 laptop) with zero problems.

Whilst the success of the update itself may no longer be a problem, more people who have updated seem to have issues further down the line than those who've carried out a clean install. An update does its best to cope with old software and drivers but the only way to guarantee that everything is compatible with Windows 10 is to do a clean install. Another bonus is that it doesn't carry over software that you have on your disks but haven't used in years.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit