Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Prop animation option

Guest davidvoogd

I'm just wondering if anyone else would like to see an option to turn prop animations on and off.I find the prop animations very distracting myself. Of course in real life - where framerates aren't an issue you can hardly see the prop spinning around except at low RPM. But in FS I find the animation very distracting and annoying, and edit them out via a transparent replacement texture. Perhaps it would be nice to see a single check box in the options to turn the animation on and off?

Guest davidvoogd

I also fly 172's in real life - and the prop doesn't bother me at all there unless it's say at low rpm's going into the sun. No matter what except at full RPM, the prop animation in FS (and Pacific Fighters) is incredibly distracting to me. Each to their own of course, but hence why I would like to see an option.

Guest Bell206freak

I think you're complaining a wee bit too much.. No offense.I've flown in real Cessna aircraft and I'll say that even for the default Cessna 172, the prop animation is very realistic. You can clearly make out the "disk" created by the propellers when in flight.And the prop animation has no effect on framerates.

There may in fact be an issue that David can see that you can't, perhaps related to an interaction of the prop animation and the refresh of the monitor that bothers him. As a general issue, some people complain that monitors with a refresh rate less than 75 Hz makes them feel sick, others could care less. I would not pooh pooh his request.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

POOH POOH, Thomas??? LOLWhile I don't get it, as long as there is the option, then it doesn't matter to me. I would think this option is already available thru the design process, (yoke in VC, no yoke via a key/gauge/switch) but I would also think that since so very few have an issue with it is why you haven't seen it implemented yet in any aircraft.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Well, personally I think that the "prop blur" is exaggerated in FS deliberately, 'cause MOST users would moan if they didn't see it......of course, it's drop dead simple to adjust the transparency of the alpha channel, to one's own preferences, so I don't see a burning need to have it as a "switchable option." In fact, I can't think of any easy way it could be done, except on a per model basis with embedded XML code and some form of configuration utility... Certainly I don't think it could be done on a global basis for all prop a/c.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest tdragger

Yep. It's a lot like the audio track in outer space movies.

>Hi, everyone.>Fr. Bill

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest davidvoogd

It is easy enough to edit the alpha, and that's what I do now, but it would be nice to be able to just check them off rather than having to hunt down the file and edit manually (the worst is when it's embedded in a large texture template with other objects such as the Carenado 182 or 206 prop animations).

Hello Fr. Bill.>Most "non-pilots" expect to see the "stoboscopic shadow" of the prop in the sim, because that's what you see on television and at the movies

Guest EdrickV

You could always go fly some old FS2002 planes, many of them won't have working prop animations in FS9. :) Of course, that would mean you wouldn't see it when it's stopped either. I don't have any problems with it myself."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."