Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

Please fix "Gear-up landing" realism :) (pic included)

Gear-up landings can be relatively uneventful when carried out correctly. I have tried gear-up landings in MSFS and the aircraft always seems to sink into the concrete :(. Here is a screenshot:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144913.jpgThis is the default 744. I was very careful not to use a real-world livery, for obvious reasons ;). I touched down at less than 100 ft/min, and yet the massive 747 SUNK into the runway, right up to its upper deck :-lol. This isn't accurate ;). The aircraft should be resting on the underside of the fuselage ;)

Without any other reference to work with, the a/c will "come to rest" at the 0,0,0 reference point, which by definition (and design) is at the "waterline" of the aircraft. The "waterline" is a line drawn fore to aft along the thrust centerline.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oops, I seem to have fixed it :-lolhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144920.jpgI added some extra lines in the "contact points" section, which didn't work on another plane :-hmmm.Here are the lines that I added to the default 747-400 aircraft.cfg:point.7 = 2, -25.0, 0.0, -14.5, 9000.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0, 9, 0, 0point.8 = 2, -114.0, -18.0, -15.3, 9000.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0, 5, 0, 0point.9 = 2, -114.0, 18.0, -15.3, 9000.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0, 6, 0, 0They are almost identical to the landing gear positions, but they are 10ft shorter than the gear, and they are "scrape" points. My efforts are not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction ;)Maybe the FS Team could add this to all of the stock planes? Hopefully everyone would start to add the extra contact points to their planes :)

Hi,Or just use the landing gear and none of this would matter!!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

>Oops, I seem to have fixed it :-lol>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144920.jpg>>I added some extra lines in the "contact points" section,>which didn't work on another plane :-hmmm.Which is why I wrote, "Without any other reference to work with..."Adding contact points defined as "scrape points" establish a new reference to work with... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest defpotec

It looks like you need a few more points on the underside of the engines. Then maybe add some FX to get some sparks flying. Of course I just prefer to land with the gear down, but whatever floats your boat.

Guest EdrickV

It's model dependent, you can add scrape points to any model and some models (say DC-3's) can do nice gear up landings because the gear actually is still a bit below the fuselage. Seaplanes can usually land on their floats/hull depending on the design, though on some of them you may have to worry about flipping over. :) With the MAAM DC-3 I've even done partly extended gear landings, which was rather interesting. (Cut off power and manually lower the gear partway so one wheel is higher then the other. Then land like that. :) )"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."