Sign in to follow this  
MIKLOS

FSX "greys" out.

I use FSX Gold Edition besides the FS9. The problem I seem to have with the FSX is after about 1.5 hours of flying the screen freezes and turns a shade of grey. Still can see the panel, but visibly can see that the flying has paused and there is a notice the simulator is not responding. I normally, leave the computer and after about 10 minutes everything returns to normal.

I would be greatful, if someone could give me some help to overcome this frustrating problem.

Best regards,

Miklos 

I too use FSX Gold, I think your issue like mine is lack of memory, I have tweaked my FSX.cfg to my satisfaction and avoid the greys, I still have flickering in some dense scenery areas; Trick is to reduce/experiment a setting with your sliders.

Hope this helps.

Hi MIKLOS,

I don't know what causes this problem specifically, from your description it does not sound like an OOM or CTD, if your sim is otherwise stable you could try lowering sliders but that may not be at the heart of the problem, it could be a windows update that has changed the way FSX behaves, what that update file issue could be will take a great deal of trial and error.
Speaking of errors, are there any Error reports in your Windows Event Viewer which could point you to a possible cause, (a  .dll  module for example or even the Display driver).

A workaround I have found that works for me when the sim freezes or goes blank, usually to do with my (Nvidia DSR settings, there's quite a difference between Native resolution and the DSR resolution I am using, which sometimes messes up when switching between FSX Fullscreen & Windowed mode). 
When the sim stops responding, you can use the keyboard combo Ctrl+Alt+Delete  then select "Start Task Manager". Once the task manager is open, select the "Applications" Tab to see if FSX is indeed in Not Responding mode. Usually FSX comes back to life while looking at the Task Manager, but if it does not you can select FSX from the open programs and press the "Switch to" button, after you do this press Alt+Enter to force FSX into Windowed mode, FSX should immediately come back with all visuals in place ready to fly once more, you can then press Alt+Enter once more to go back into Fullscreen,  FSX visuals should be good to go once more with FSX responding to all inputs. 
If FSX does not respond to opening the Task Manager and "switching to" FSX you should Ctrl+Alt+Delete once more, select Task Manager, then select "End Task" button, then restart FSX normally via the FSX icon.

Or you could just wait it out and see if FSX recovers after 10 or so minutes as you have been doing.

Don't forget to Alt+Enter between "Fullscreen" and "Windowed" modes this will refresh the graphics driver forcing a screen resolution refresh

Jethro very useful reply, will keep this in mind.

Berlopez

Look for the 7 min freeze, it may help you

1pc:WIN11/64, MSFS,PF3,TRacKir5,SPAD Next,FSUIPC 7,GSX
I7-12700KF/32Gb DDR4 3600MHz/ASUS ROG 2070 SUPER OC/GEKOGS105/Alpha Flight Control/CH throttle,Ped/SAITEK InstR/Radio Panel
2pc:WIN10 LNM,remote text program,pf3 display

16 hours ago, Jethro said:

Hi MIKLOS,

I don't know what causes this problem specifically, from your description it does not sound like an OOM or CTD, if your sim is otherwise stable you could try lowering sliders but that may not be at the heart of the problem, it could be a windows update that has changed the way FSX behaves, what that update file issue could be will take a great deal of trial and error.
Speaking of errors, are there any Error reports in your Windows Event Viewer which could point you to a possible cause, (a  .dll  module for example or even the Display driver).

A workaround I have found that works for me when the sim freezes or goes blank, usually to do with my (Nvidia DSR settings, there's quite a difference between Native resolution and the DSR resolution I am using, which sometimes messes up when switching between FSX Fullscreen & Windowed mode). 
When the sim stops responding, you can use the keyboard combo Ctrl+Alt+Delete  then select "Start Task Manager". Once the task manager is open, select the "Applications" Tab to see if FSX is indeed in Not Responding mode. Usually FSX comes back to life while looking at the Task Manager, but if it does not you can select FSX from the open programs and press the "Switch to" button, after you do this press Alt+Enter to force FSX into Windowed mode, FSX should immediately come back with all visuals in place ready to fly once more, you can then press Alt+Enter once more to go back into Fullscreen,  FSX visuals should be good to go once more with FSX responding to all inputs. 
If FSX does not respond to opening the Task Manager and "switching to" FSX you should Ctrl+Alt+Delete once more, select Task Manager, then select "End Task" button, then restart FSX normally via the FSX icon.

Or you could just wait it out and see if FSX recovers after 10 or so minutes as you have been doing.

Don't forget to Alt+Enter between "Fullscreen" and "Windowed" modes this will refresh the graphics driver forcing a screen resolution refresh

Thank you both for the advice. Will try them.

Hi MIKLOS,

very useful advice also from cteixeira above, Jim Young's CTD guide has some helpful advice on tracking down potential causes of  Sim freezes and lockups at various points of loading, flying and menu issues. If you type the word "freeze" into the pdf reader word search tool (from the start of the document) you can find many useful tips. Read any part of the document that has the word freeze and obviously the information following will give additional ideas as to what may be causing your freeze/lockup.  

I also found a begginers mistake must adjust the screen resolution Desktop and Sim have to match.Like this I have avoided a lot of problems