Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimDimm

I'm late to the Win10 party... a few questions pls

Hello All -

I finally upgraded my old Alienware R3 from Win7Pro 64 bit to Windows 10. I am running Prepar3d 4.4 and have a few questions and seeking some advise.

1. Windows 10 Build 18762 or upgrade to the new build 1903 ?

2. Use Windows Defender or reinstall Norton Antivirus? Which is better for gaming and performance?

3. Win 10 Game Mode or Process Lasso or both?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

Edited by FlightSimDimm

Re 2. Eww Norton, creates more problems than it solves! And Windows Defender is not too clever. Anything based around ESET/NOD32 is nice and light. Avira and Avast are both free and proven effectiveness. I generally disable my antivirus before gaming as they impact loading times a lot, I also tend to add exclusions for my flight sim installation location.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

51 minutes ago, FlightSimDimm said:

. Win 10 Game Mode

No game mode - general consensus.

Search for "Process lasso" - it is widely debated else where 😉

Gérard

3 hours ago, gaab said:

No game mode - general consensus.

Search for "Process lasso" - it is widely debated else where 😉

Gérard

Thanks - I was previously using Process Lasso with good results. I was not sure if "Game Mode" made it obsolete.

Edited by FlightSimDimm

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Re 2. Eww Norton, creates more problems than it solves! And Windows Defender is not too clever. Anything based around ESET/NOD32 is nice and light. Avira and Avast are both free and proven effectiveness. I generally disable my antivirus before gaming as they impact loading times a lot, I also tend to add exclusions for my flight sim installation location.

Thanks - I will look into Avira and Avast. I have never been a big fan of Windows Defender and was previously using Norton becasue it had a "game mode" to shut down automatically while running the SIM.

Windows Defender is "ok", but Avast! is far better.  You can also set up Avast! to exclude directories, which prevents it from scanning things like your FSX folder and you can set updates to manual.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I always supplement my virus protection, which I disable when I am flying a simulator, Xplane11 or P3D, with Malwarebytes and Hijackthis.  I like the latter the most because I can "snapshot" my system and run it to spot and eradicate malware, and even ransomware if one has paper and pencil, and can boot into DOS mode.  Google IT staff knows me from many years ago, I alerted them to a massive attack on Google and how to get rid of it, it literally shut down Google so I called them directly.  I was a business systems trainer and geek follower of Cliff Stoll, the cyberattack God, who taught us virgin IT trainers and WAN managers in the 80's how to secure our networks during the early growth of the world wide web. 

His book, "the Cuckoo's Egg", is the pain of death to cyberattackers and also to the big Antivirus companies, because a well managed WAN needs minimal antivirus and anti malware software, there are easier ways and more resourceful ways to deal with cyberattacks, including what I call MAD "Mutual Assured Destruction--from the Cold war era" retaliatory tactics.

Circling back, because I do not want to hijack this thread, my point is you have received good advice here from the first responders.  I have been so well pleased with Windows 10 which I feel is the best OS so far.  My desktop is set up in the old style, "Classic" mode of the Windows NT and 98 era, old dogs like me are hard to get taught new tricks, except by my housecat Rosie, she tricks me into leaving P3D or Xplane to feed her.  Imagine that!

John (aka Lieutenant Commander Data, trying to learn human emotion, lol)

• Like 1

Everybody will end up on 1903 you can delay it but only for so long, I don't have a problem with it runs ok. 

I use Norton's which shuts down all background programs that are not req`d , they are bringing Norton`s 360 back which included a reg cleaner and a system recovery image. 

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

My only Windows 10 machine is for business use only, but 1903 has presented no problems for that computer.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, FlightSimDimm said:

1. Windows 10 Build 18762 or upgrade to the new build 1903 ?

2. Use Windows Defender or reinstall Norton Antivirus? Which is better for gaming and performance?

I've had no problems at all with 1903. However, the best advice I can give is that if you currently don't have the latest version, wait until it's offered to you by Windows Update rather than clicking "Check for updates" on the Update & Security screen. It's only offered to you when MS is happy that it will run on your system with your installed software. If you click "Check for updates", you'll get it whether it's fully compatible or not.

With regards to antivirus, Defender can cause some performance issues. I use Bitdefender which I leave running all of the time when gaming and see no noticeable drop in performance. It has a "Game Profile" settings option which automatically prevents any interruptions when gaming but I haven't found that I need it. Highly recommended. See: https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-february-may-2019/

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I wanted to add I installed the most recent Windows 10 update at my last reboot yesterday.  Running P3DV4.5 (and Xplane11) I saw no issues, and usually whatever these updates do are seamless to me.

John

On 6/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, vortex681 said:

I've had no problems at all with 1903. However, the best advice I can give is that if you currently don't have the latest version, wait until it's offered to you by Windows Update rather than clicking "Check for updates" on the Update & Security screen. It's only offered to you when MS is happy that it will run on your system with your installed software. If you click "Check for updates", you'll get it whether it's fully compatible or not.

With regards to antivirus, Defender can cause some performance issues. I use Bitdefender which I leave running all of the time when gaming and see no noticeable drop in performance. It has a "Game Profile" settings option which automatically prevents any interruptions when gaming but I haven't found that I need it. Highly recommended. See: https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-february-may-2019/

Thanks, are you using the free version?

It does look like it is very highly rated with no impact on gaming (or flight-siming).

41 minutes ago, FlightSimDimm said:

Thanks, are you using the free version?

It does look like it is very highly rated with no impact on gaming (or flight-siming).

No, the paid version. Although it seems fairly expensive from the Bitdefender site, there are usually plenty of good deals around - I got a new 2 yr license for the Internet Security 2019 version from the Computer Active (a UK computer magazine) Software Store: https://store.computeractive.co.uk/?act=search&brand=1684 

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit