Sign in to follow this  
fta2017

How the trailer was made

15 minutes ago, ganter said:

Some of the scenes are pure Autogen - and it looks good.

bfbbdd.jpg

like ... really good...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ganter said:

Some of the scenes are pure Autogen - and it looks good.

bfbbdd.jpg

Do we know for sure that what we're seeing there is pure autogen?

Tim Stone over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun commented on that particular image:

"This thunderhead looks almost too good to be true. If it turns out to be photoshopped there’ll be trouble."

And he's right.

If that's a dynamically modeled CB where the clouds constantly change shape, and there is vertical convection in the interior (both up and downdrafts), and severe outflow near ground level at the base, then I'll be thrilled. Seriously thrilled. But let's find out if it's actual weather or a painting, before we get too excited. 

Edited by Paraffin
typo
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

If that's a dynamically modeled CB where the clouds constantly change shape, and there is vertical convection in the interior (both up and downdrafts), and severe outflow near ground level at the base, then I'll be thrilled. Seriously thrilled. But let's find out if it's actual weather or a painting, before we get too excited. 

Let's be honest - we will all be thrilled with a lot less than what you've described...or at least I hope so, since we have nothing even remotely close to that description in current sims.

Edited by irrics

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

Do we not for sure that what we're seeing there is pure autogen?

"This thunderhead looks almost too good to be true. If it turns out to be photoshopped there’ll be trouble."

And he's right.

Phil Spencer interview says the trailer is using real weather data. Speculate from there I guess.

I suspect it's real simply because if they were going to photoshop it, they could make it look a lot better than that. I mean, it looks good, but not incredibly good. There's clearly some cleaning up to do on the presentation.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

Phil Spencer interview says the trailer is using real weather data. Speculate from there I guess.

Well, current weather plugins use injected real weather data to throw a 2D background image of distant storms. That's nothing new.

A software-generated, dynamically modeled weather system based on that data would be totally different. It would be a game-changer if that's what they're doing. I'm not going to assume that's what they're doing from one pretty image, until we know more.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

19 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I ain't talking about the weather. I'm talking about the Terrain.

The clouds look "Shopped" to me but time will tell.

I've flown near (but far enough from) CBs real world and the one thing that marks them out is that the cloud layers squirm about like rats in a bag - and even though this shot is only a couple of seconds long, I see no movement. 

But anyway, my post was referring to the Autogen on the ground.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

And he's right.

Weather aside, that shot reminds me of XP11 with orthos, but with much better use of autogen on top outlining the buildings.

But you can see it suffers some of the same issues, like getting the contrast of the trees right on top of the satellite imagery. Still a big leap forward for any base sim to produce those results.

23 minutes ago, bonchie said:

Weather aside, that shot reminds me of XP11 with orthos, but with much better use of autogen on top outlining the buildings.

But you can see it suffers some of the same issues, like getting the contrast of the trees right on top of the satellite imagery. Still a big leap forward for any base sim to produce those results.

It's weird. I'm a sailor as well as a pilot. I've seen CBs form up with the sea below as if lit by underwater LEDs. You never know what you're going to get when the thunderheads come on - but you always get weird lighting - you know - other worldly and strange.

The shot above is consistent with this strangeness that I've witnessed first hand. It has to do with light being bounced around all over the place, etc.

Look at that big thunderhead of snowy white CB; it's basically a huge mirror reflecting received light back down on to the coast line we're looking at at ground level. The Sun coming from our POV (check the lighting/ shadows on the Autogen buildings) would do that real World.  Nothing unusual about that.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ganter said:

It's weird. I'm a sailor as well as a pilot. I've seen CBs form up with the sea below as if lit by underwater LEDs. You never know what you're going to get when the thunderheads come on - but you always get weird lighting - you know - other worldly and strange.

The shot above is consistent with this strangeness that I've witnessed first hand. It has to do with light being bounced around all over the place, etc.

As a pilot, I'm not getting within 20 miles of anything that looks like that. But no one thinks twice about it in flight sims. I suspect a lot of people think it's normal to get a few miles from a head like that.

It'd be cool to have a simulator that actually shows just how dangerous weather is for aviation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bonchie said:

It'd be cool to have a simulator that actually shows just how dangerous weather is for aviation.

How funny would it be if the "study level sim required!" people totaled their airplane and, like real life, had to go buy a new one.

lol

New business model right there!  

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, irrics said:

How funny would it be if the "study level sim required!" people totaled their airplane and, like real life, had to go buy a new one.

lol

New business model right there!  

Now that is a genuine (virtual) amusing thought!

You want study level realism, here ya go:

You and the flight are terminated. That'll be another $150.00 USD for a replacement player identity and a new 777 LR please!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, bonchie said:

As a pilot, I'm not getting within 20 miles of anything that looks like that. But no one thinks twice about it in flight sims. I suspect a lot of people think it's normal to get a few miles from a head like that.

Closest I got as a pilot was about 30 miles at about 6000' and the thing towered over us and blocked out the sun, and my CFI said take a good look and if you ever see anything looking like that again...run. Good advice.

Closest I've been as a sailor on the seas; too bl**dy close!

Edited by Guest

@SpiritFlyer

PMDG's next move!  I love it!

Hey - they said they wanted things "as real as it gets", right?  😀

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, irrics said:

@SpiritFlyer

PMDG's next move!  I love it!

Hey - they said they wanted things "as real as it gets", right?  😀

(Fast-Forward a few years...)

"Who is PMDG?

Oh, is that the old sim thing...when you poor guys had to do 15 FPS and Heathrow was a "no go".?

Before MS came back on to the scene..."

😉

Edited by Guest