Sign in to follow this  

Pink taxiway guides

Guest robertsflight

Hi there fellow FS users,I just flew out of an airport with very low visibility and as I frequently do in an unfamiliar settings I used the taxiway guide line to help me get to the runway. Same at the destination. It is a great feature for "lazy" moments when you are willing to compromise some "realism" for convenience. However the pink line, although visible, is in stark contrast to the rest of the sim (IMO). How about changing at least the color of it to yellow during the day and maybe light green during the night? Or... (follow me cars, other means of simulating the guide lines such brighter lights or even progressive taxi instructions from ATC...) Any thoughts?Thanks,Robert

Good idea. *IF* the "pink solution" is to stay, I would like to see it better implemented. As it is, you might stop on a taxi way, call up ground, get directions and after having turned on the "pink" it's nowhere to be seen. In this situation I have to engage the "angel perspective" (Ctrl+S) just to get a hunch. I suppose the problem is probably in the ATC AI really but anyway...

the line is high contrast for a reason: so it's easily visible.follow me cars would lead to a mass of complaints that they're unrealistic.Many airports don't have them, and where they exist they're almost always different (there is no standard). You'g get people from Europe complaining if an American car were used, people from New York complainin that the painscheme used reflects that of the wrong airport and that "their" airport uses Cadillacs rather Chevies.The current solution is a good tradeoff between usability and cost of implementation. If you can't be bothered to get taxiway charts for every airport you visit it's good enough, and if you have such you can use those.Taxi instructions similarly won't work, as they too would lead to excessive complaints of the kind "the taxiways are called something else on "my" airport in real life, FSX sux bigtime".

>follow me cars would lead to a mass of complaints that they're>unrealistic.But at least much more realistic than a pink line.Always the same, old reasoning from you: everything they'd put in FSX, it would make a mass of complaints. If developers were to take what you say, they wouldn't put a single innovation in FSX. People always complain, no matter what developers do, so they might as well do what they deem better. Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi, If I might add my 2 cents worth; it would be more sensible for ATC to advise you to take the next left or right taxiway and then you'd have a chance to pick up the pink line in a more realistic manner. As you say you turn off the runway and the line appears behind you. Always.Andy

it always amazed me that with the amount of 'hacking' (ie TTools, ect) this product has seen, no one has ever been able to tweak th color of this simple line. In the first months of use I always assumed that this would be one of the first items to be changed by the users.Alas, no luck. What I think would be nice would be to be able to pick the color via a menu. If not that, at least have it available via the cfg of ini files or something that can be read via notepad.I like the idea of a soft yellow or grey that is close in color to the taxiways, enough to see but does not totally blow the 'suspension of disbelief' aspect.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

>As you say you turn off the runway and the>line appears behind you. Always."Always" is a bit of a stretch. In fact, you have a 50/50 chance of "guessing" the correct direction to turn off the active, as long as there ARE exits on both sides.Many airports only have exits on ONE side, in which case you have a 100% chance of "guessing correctly..." ;)Completely aside from which, as you approach the runway on close final, how hard is it to notice where the terminals and service areas are?If you're GA, exit on which ever side has the service area, as that's likely where the GA ramps are. If you're commercial aviation, turn off on the side that has the terminals! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi Bill, yes, probably a stretch, but at night and bouncing down the runway trying to find a contact lens that fell out after the first hit, a little bit of extraa help would be handy. I'm going to try to keep a better look-out from now on.Andy.

because such colours would be invisible if your display settings aren't "just right".You HAVE to have a high contrast colour and the one they chose is unlikely to ever be used for any ground texture.If they'd chosen a grey 5% lighter than the average taxiway texture you'd be here complaining that you want something with higher contrast because you can't see it well enough...

Personally I think small & UNOBTRUSIVE arrows that show up in the corner of the screen to indicate the next turning may be a better solution, i.e. that you get in video console driving games (if I may be so bold as to mention video consoles...:-wink2). For example '<- 50' may mean 'take next taxiway turn 50 yards on the left' or whatever. Maybe the user could choose to have the arrows showing up only for a second or two when a turning in the taxiway comes up (to make the arrows as unobtrusive as possible in the sim), or they could just have them constantly showing in the corner of the screen. But I suppose it's a question of how easy this would be to implement..

Well, thats a good idea, just an arrow on your screen!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!HELP:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238882

Yes this is a really good idea. The pink arrow concept is a great feature but its too overpowering. A smaller arrow idicator will be better.

I don't think shouting at the Microsoft team will gain respect for your views.