Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Matt Booty Interview - short mention of MSFS

I am on Avsim because this is an interest of mine. An interest i can further develop thanks to videogames who gives an idea of what is like to fly a plane, but it isn't the real thing and it will never will. No matter how many PMDG aircrafts you buy or if you put a captain hat in your basement on a newly built cockpit.
I understand the limitations of what i am doing and why i am doing it, some others in this topic and elsewhere imho are a bit too much into it.

A developer for another game which involved tanks, when asked to have x y z features added to its game to make it more "realistic", had the most beautiful answer i found. And i think it applies here too.

"You want more realism? Join the Army".
Same for us: You want more realism? Buy a pilot license and fly.

• Like 6

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Gotta love the people here at AVSIM.  :cool:

No matter what our opinions are on any subject, the thing that (seems to) matter most is what we think of how those (properly or improperly) opinions are expressed.

Ah....never mind. It's Monday am and too early in the day and week for me to get serious about anything! For all those who have to get up early and go to work, have fun!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer :wink:

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As Bruce says in the video above; if you want a massive leap in immersion you have to have motion in the sim to dynamically put yourself through the forces encountered in flight. The cheapest most cost-effective solution I've found is a company in Belgium who'll kit you out with a 6 DOF system platform for about 20K Euros not including software. So it means a massive leap forward financially too! The sims I've built for people I've offered this option but no-one's taken it up yet. I can't wait for when someone will. It will certainly need a helluva lot of testing by me before delivery to the customer 😉

I get enough bouncing around in the air in real life.

I'm content to have my simulators at home just look pretty. That's really why I use them at this point. Yeah, I enjoy doing things realistically in a really good study level aircraft, but ultimately, it's about what's passing by out the window for me as I'm flying those realistic study level aircraft.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, france89 said:

A developer for another game which involved tanks, when asked to have x y z features added to its game to make it more "realistic", had the most beautiful answer i found. And i think it applies here too.

Same for us: You want more realism? Buy a pilot license and fly.

The counter-argument: If we end-users don't ask for improvements, and let the developers know what we care about, then we won't get them. Complacency doesn't help move the hobby forward.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

4 hours ago, france89 said:

Funny... that's exactly what I did in 1972. 😄  I've been surprised by a few "arcade" tank games how close their tanks were.  And I had plenty of input to Steel Beasts:  check out my artillery tutorial for example.

35 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

If we end-users don't ask for improvements, and let the developers know what we care about, then we won't get them.

Microsoft mentioned during Flight's development that they'd found discourse with the flight sim community to be unrewarding.  Given the attitudes of the hardcore simmers at the time, I don't blame them.  They were certainly receptive to comments made in the Flight beta forums, and a lot of us were looking for a sim that could be flown seriously.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 hours ago, Murmur said:

I think you missed the deeper meaning of my (1/4 ironic, 3/4 truth) post.

If you say so.

For those of you who are fascinated with numbers, here's some items about the video game industry from:

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2019/Global/

Some key points based on 2018 sales and installed hardware base:

1. Five of the top selling video games were for the PS4. The other two were for the Nintendo Switch, which is a handheld unit that also can be connected to any display with an HDMI input.
  2. The top three games by sales were all for the PS4 and they sold between 9 million and 13 million units in 2018, all in less than 14 weeks, because of the late year release dates.
  3. There was one PC-based game in the top 100 by sales, Farm Simulator 19, ranked 96th with 583,425 units sold.
  4. The cumulative worldwide sales up to and including 2018 of the PS3 and the XBox 360 software were almost identical at 957 and 979 million unit sales, respectively. Hence, the previous versions of the two competing consoles were on equal footing.
  5. The cumulative worldwide sales up to and including 2018 of the PS4 and the XBox One software were  652 and 295 million unit sales, respectively. This underscores why MS needs to produce better software titles for its future XBox hardware.
  6. The installed hardware base is 91 million consoles for the PS4 and 41 million for the XBox One.
  7. In 2018, the worldwide sales of software was 157 million units for the PS4, 61 million for the XBox One and 3 million for the PC. The Nintendo Switch has been cannibalizing the market for all other platforms due to its dual function.
  8. Sales of console games do not tell the entire story because the online versions of many games require an additional annual subscription that covers a variety of games.
  9. The highest ranked XBox One game by sales was Red Dead Redemption 2, ranked 8th in sales. The PS4 version was ranked 1st with 13 million and there was no PC version at all. As I have mentioned previously, RDR 2 was also not developed for VR use, as the installed VR headset base on both the PS4 (a native Sony headset) and the XBox One (no VR support at all) is very limited.

5 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

There was one PC-based game in the top 100 by sales, Farm Simulator 19, ranked 96th with 583,425 units sold.

So Farm Simulator most likely outsells PC Flight Simulators?  That's humbling if I am not misinterpreting that.

21 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

......but let's not pretend that the aviation industry will collapse and pilots will start flying into terminal buildings without FSX/P3D/Xplane11...

You may have got the wrong end of what pracines was saying..

"Take away aviation and the world will essentially stop including the gaming/computing industry"

I interpreted it that if AVIATION goes away, then the world would stop, including gaming etc. etc.

The comma is my emphasis - adding that bit of punctuation makes sense - i.e the world coming to a stop would mean that the gaming/computing industry would also come to a stop

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

29 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

If you say so.

For those of you who are fascinated with numbers, here's some items about the video game industry from:

1. Five of the top selling video games were for the PS4. The other two were for the Nintendo Switch, which is a handheld unit that also can be connected to any display with an HDMI input.
  2. The top three games by sales were all for the PS4 and they sold between 9 million and 13 million units in 2018, all in less than 14 weeks, because of the late year release dates.
  3. There was one PC-based game in the top 100 by sales, Farm Simulator 19, ranked 96th with 583,425 units sold.
  4. The cumulative worldwide sales up to and including 2018 of the PS3 and the XBox 360 software were almost identical at 957 and 979 million unit sales, respectively. Hence, the previous versions of the two competing consoles were on equal footing.
  5. The cumulative worldwide sales up to and including 2018 of the PS4 and the XBox One software were  652 and 295 million unit sales, respectively. This underscores why MS needs to produce better software titles for its future XBox hardware.
  6. The installed hardware base is 91 million consoles for the PS4 and 41 million for the XBox One.
  7. In 2018, the worldwide sales of software was 157 million units for the PS4, 61 million for the XBox One and 3 million for the PC. The Nintendo Switch has been cannibalizing the market for all other platforms due to its dual function.
  8. Sales of console games do not tell the entire story because the online versions of many games require an additional annual subscription that covers a variety of games.
  9. The highest ranked XBox One game by sales was Red Dead Redemption 2, ranked 8th in sales. The PS4 version was ranked 1st with 13 million and there was no PC version at all. As I have mentioned previously, RDR 2 was also not developed for VR use, as the installed VR headset base on both the PS4 (a native Sony headset) and the XBox One (no VR support at all) is very limited.

PC games sales take place almost exclusively on closed-platforms like Steam, the owner of which (Valve) does not report sales data.  PC gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry by anyone's account.  The entire narrative you are promoting is based on an incomplete picture, to say the least.

Edited by TechguyMaxC

56 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

If you say so.

VGChartz only take in account retail sales, I don't know anyone that buys PC games on retail stores anymore. Most PC gamers use Steam (or Uplay, Origin etc).

Take a look at PUBG for PC, it sold between 50 - 100 millions copies on Steam. CS:GO has sold the same ammount.

Edited by ca_metal

54 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

So Farm Simulator most likely outsells PC Flight Simulators?  That's humbling if I am not misinterpreting that.

Not necessarily. As another post mentions, PC flight simulators are not all, or even mostly sold on the "game" platforms that particular survey tracks. Here's the methodology from that site:

VGChartz Methodology

Data-Collection Methodology
All sales estimates on VGChartz are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:
Passively polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

Not all that relevant with regard to Steam, P3D licensing, direct sales from Laminar Research and the .org store for X-Plane, or IPACS direct sales for Aerofly FS2.

Farm Sim may still outsell flight sims for all I know, but I wouldn't trust that particular source to prove it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

This topic started out as an interview about FS2020 and has gone completely off topic.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals