Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Matt Booty Interview - short mention of MSFS

5 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

This is why a Console version would work too. Lots of now inactive flight simmers would use the XBox Version just to relive their youth. 

Hell, if it is feature complete enough, performs well and works with some great joystick options - maybe even throw in WindowsMR VR options..

...even I may go console only.

I have no actual desire to be in the spec wh***, wallet emptying, PC upgrade for FS race.  I’d love to just have great performance essentially guaranteed at a reasonable price.

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

A friend of mine said it best from hearing about this announcement. He grew up with Flight Simulator when he was young but grew out of it. He is now in his thirties and hasn't been into MSFS since his teens. He does love XBox and Grand Theft Auto. When he heard about the latest announcement absolutely he wants the XBox verson for old times sake, it is just enough to get him back into it but without getting heavily invested in it. 

This is why a Console version would work too. Lots of now inactive flight simmers would use the XBox Version just to relive their youth. 

I totally agree putting a version of FS on XBOX game pass will expose the sim to over 100,000,000 users, and could help grow the platform the latest show shows Flight Sim growing not shrinking and new users will be good for Devs, there are some who think it should only be for hard core simmers, the broader the appeal the greater the number of users the market will then be big enough for all.

Why have LR put XP on a mobile and steam.

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

13 hours ago, pracines said:

If MS thinks that gamers want to play flight simulator on their Xbox, I think we simmers can all agree that will last about 10 minutes and then off to "shooting and killing" they will return....maybe returning to FS for a quick spin once or twice a year. 

N.B. Not specifically aimed at the poster but all who have the same belief.

I don't own an Xbox or a PS4 and have no intention of getting either one. I do however also have an interest in train simulation which traditionally was PC only. This has now been brought to Xbox and PS4 by Dovetail Games. Oddly enough it doesn't include any "shooting and killing". Depending on the locomotive it can even include "cold and dark".

The complaints are more likely to be about features present on PC but not on consoles due to performance constraints or of course the inevitable bugs that are always present. Whilst I certainly wouldn't claim driving a train is more difficult than flying a plane I can definitely say that complying with the signalling, especially German PZB signalling, is not simple.

Bottom line: Just because it's on a console doesn't mean that there isn't a decent audience that will take a simulation product seriously and want realism.

• Like 3

Give people power to really test their personality.

3 hours ago, SamYeager said:

Bottom line: Just because it's on a console doesn't mean that there isn't a decent audience that will take a simulation product seriously and want realism.

However, to get at least some realism on the console, a console flight sim should be marketed with a control yoke and throttle quadrant, or at least have full compatibility therein. Using an XBOX controller is akin to flying an RC plane or helicopter. (I find flying helicopters in Battlefield 4 almost, but not quite similar to my RC choppers.. when I'm not getting shot at LOL). By their very nature, a flight sim has many functions which need a keyboard to access and/or more buttons than a normal XBOX controller. More specifically an XBOX controller is not set up for aircraft throttle use - there aren't any return or self-centring springs on aircraft throttles, only a bit of friction so they stay put.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

24 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

By their very nature, a flight sim has many functions which need a keyboard to access and/or more buttons than a normal XBOX controller. More specifically an XBOX controller is not set up for aircraft throttle use - there aren't any return or self-centring springs on aircraft throttles, only a bit of friction so they stay put.

Oh I'm not claiming it's easy but for instance the Xbox controller can be used to control a train throttle. Unfortunately I can't work out how to attach a PDF showing the Xbox controls to show you.

Edited by SamYeager

Give people power to really test their personality.

Sam, so can a single key or mouse button. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

F1 on Xbox has no steering wheel then manufactures filled that gap high quality hardware, the rule is if theirs a market for something someone will fill it for all we know someone`s already working on it Thrustmaster Logitech ECT.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, SamYeager said:

instance the Xbox controller can be used to control a train throttle. Unfortunately I can't work out how to attach a PDF showing the Xbox controls to show you.

71B1Hqn927L._SX425_.jpg

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, irrics said:

They've said, word for word, real weather powered what we saw in the video

From Phil Spencer direct in the PG Gamer interview:

I was like "you've gotta put that in the video because it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen". It's using real geographical data, real weather data, to give you the ability to literally fly around what looks like a living planet.

Some of my thoughts here from the trailer:

1)The sky in the new sim looks like the TrueSky from Dovetail Flightsim

2)Airbus cockpit looks identical like aerosoft airbus.The cockpit seems to be fully operational (fmgs radio panels ecam etc)

I believe Dovetail gave up their flightsim because MS found their platform as opportunity to begin a new big flight simulator project.Aerosoft is involved for sure.

I noticed also like gsx people who knows...gsx and orbx involved too?.Just wait.

My last thoughts:

It will be a full flight simulator platform for both hardcore and totally newbie simmer.

6 minutes ago, OAL809 said:

Some of my thoughts here from the trailer:

1)The sky in the new sim looks like the TrueSky from Dovetail Flightsim

2)Airbus cockpit looks identical like aerosoft airbus.The cockpit seems to be fully operational (fmgs radio panels ecam etc)

I believe Dovetail gave up their flightsim because MS found their platform as opportunity to begin a new big flight simulator project.Aerosoft is involved for sure.

I noticed also like gsx people who knows...gsx and orbx involved too?.Just wait.

My last thoughts:

It will be a full flight simulator platform for both hardcore and totally newbie simmer.

Could well have been GSX - the baggage cart at the far A320 drives straight through the left hand engine. 😉

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

F1 on Xbox has no steering wheel then manufactures filled that gap high quality hardware, the rule is if theirs a market for something someone will fill it for all we know someone`s already working on it Thrustmaster Logitech ECT.   

What do you mean? At least one brand (Logitech) has one steering compatible with the Xbox One, the G920.

volante_para_jogos_logitech_g920_1_.pnga6fc921a374564a3c924fb9f4da980c8.jpg

If they want to, they can make all the yokes and joysticks compatible with their firmware. 

Edited by ca_metal

Yes this argument about flight controllers not working on a yet to be released XBOX Game Console is more speculation. It would be very easy to sell flight controllers with compatibility to Both

I think what is most upsetting is I first got into Flight Sim when I was 12 years old on an old Apple 2e and no controller at all and I fell in love. Next year when MSFS2020 is released their will be millions of 12 years old being exposed to MSFS for the first time and most likely on an XBOX controller to start, yes very limiting just like the keyboard on an old Apple 2e, but if they fall in love that is exactly the point, reaching out to a captive new audience. People on here are not seeing this for whatever reason.

I turn 48 this year so that is going on almost 36 years of Flight Sim for me, when I was 12 my Apple 2e was as important to me as an XBOX is to a 12 year old today, you guys need to recognize that for the next generation of 12 year olds getting into flight sim. I wouldn't like to see the old boys create a divide with the next generation but Flight Simmers are very good and creating divisions 😎

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

19 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

I think what is most upsetting is I first got into Flight Sim when I was 12 years old on an old Apple 2e and no controller at all and I fell in love. Next year when MSFS2020 is released their will be millions of 12 years old being exposed to MSFS for the first time and most likely on an XBOX controller to start, yes very limiting just like the keyboard on an old Apple 2e, but if they fall in love that is exactly the point, reaching out to a captive new audience. People on here are not seeing this for whatever reason.

I don't think it's that people aren't seeing the potential for 12 year olds to get excited in flying, but a justified fear that Microsoft already tried making a sim designed to appeal to newcomers called MS Flight. It was very easy to get into, didn't scare people off with hardcore simulation features, and it was a failure. 

The current situation is also different from when you were 12 years old, and an Apple 2e was state of the art for the home. Kids these days have a million digital distractions. They have shorter attention spans, and interface with the world through their phones. It's a different world.

My personal view is that MS or any other flight sim company doesn't need to specifically target the "casual gamer" market, because that just goes down the path that's already been tried with MS Flight and DTG's Flight Sim World. Any kid that develops a real interest in aviation has some good choices already with P3D and X-Plane. Even the vanilla versions out of the box will get you flying. 

The new MSFS can do the same thing by catering to "hardcore sim fans" while still easing the process of entry to more advanced features. The metaphor I used earlier was that each aircraft can be like an onion, where you peel off layers to get deeper into the simulation. Make it easy enough to fly on a gamepad first, but you can go deeper with dedicated flight controls and higher realism settings. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

21 hours ago, SamYeager said:

....but for instance the Xbox controller can be used to control a train throttle. Unfortunately I can't work out how to attach a PDF showing the Xbox controls to show you.

No need to Sam, I use an XBOX 360 controller on my PC for Train Sim :cool: IMHO it works fine for that sim even if it's not as amazing looking as the desktop loco controller posted by polosim earlier.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 6/14/2019 at 8:31 PM, pracines said:

After reading the dialog about MSFS I'm not so sure MS (specifically Mr. Booty) fully understands the standard and scope of realism flight simmers (will) hold them to.

If MS thinks that gamers want to play flight simulator on their Xbox, I think we simmers can all agree that will last about 10 minutes and then off to "shooting and killing" they will return....maybe returning to FS for a quick spin once or twice a year. 

As a flight simmer I have very little interest in Halo or any other shooter, and I would not expect MS to make flight simmers the target audience for Halo. Why would anybody think gamers would have a vested interest in FS? A passion for aviation is unique, but a passion for realistic flight simulation is unique in the extreme...there is nothing like it. Why would a flight simmer buy an Xbox to run flight sim, when they already have a PC setup that does the job...makes no sense. Even if the new Xbox is very powerful, it still will have nothing on the PC, but it may likely be just as expensive.🤷‍♂️ 

What was the phrase "As real as it gets"? (I wonder if that will return to the "box cover"?...it needs to) Where punching in descent winds matters ( gamers will not even care to do such things ), where the weather forecast matters ( gamers will set clear and sunny daytime a likely 97% of the time ), I/we could go on and on.

We'll see what happens...🧐🔎🔬🔭📡😵

It is absolutely vital for the life of this new MSFS that MS knows there is a distinct difference between gamers and simmers - two totally different targets that have nothing to do with each other. To attempt to blend them once again will be totally rejected by simmers.  

You are wrong and basing it on your personal view.

Here is mine, opposite to yours. I play videogames, i always played them. In a way this gave me even an insight about what modern game engines are capable of compared to the usual running excuse you hear around here and other places regarding the fact that our sims run the whole earth in 3d, apparently without considering the fact that not the whole earth is drawn on screen at the same time.

But anyway, i enjoy flight simulators the way elitist simmers want them, and yet i also enjoy videogames. Why? Because both can be fun. Liking one thing doesn't mean you cannot like the other one, it's a very elistist and narrow minded way of looking at things, especially since those are two world which are not in conflict with each other.
You are also stereotyping Xbox players, or games to this extent, as someone who just want to go pew pew and blow things up.

Besides, the whole point is that XBox players can enjoy a flight game instead of having to buy a whole PC, just like PC people can use videogames without having to buy an XBox. 

Gamers don't give a quack about simmers. it's only this narrow minded elististic mindset that simmers have who seems to have a superiority complex based on a videogame they play on their pc because they made different life decisions compared to real plane pilots (for different reasons).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."