Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Dino Catteneo’s thoughts ...

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

He didn't talk about the moving traffic in the stadium scene.. The roads and traffic never looked so good from an ESP Sim.. And that's why this is not an esp engine.. 

Also, night lighting is definitely not better than xp11.. At this point we don't even know if the lights are static or true dynamic HDR lights.. 

The heat blur looks as good or slightly better than xp11.. 

PBR also looks better than the two other Sims.. Is it because of ray tracing? 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

2 hours ago, vin747 said:

He didn't talk about the moving traffic in the stadium scene.. The roads and traffic never looked so good from an ESP Sim.. And that's why this is not an esp engine.. 

Also, night lighting is definitely not better than xp11.. At this point we don't even know if the lights are static or true dynamic HDR lights.. 

The heat blur looks as good or slightly better than xp11.. 

The lighting system seems to be real-time lighting (dynamic as you called it). Look at the buildings being enlightened by the sources of light. But they don't seem to have objects for light street poles and the lights will be (like in fsx/p3d) floating bubbles, which is a bit sad. Also the I have to agree with him, the general look of the night eviroment looks a bit better than X-Plane. Look at rendering distance of the lights and how they look in the distance.

Of course the video isn't enought to be conclusive, but that's my opinion until now. I'm eagerly waiting for more informations about all those regards.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

Since we are all speculating on what an elephant looks like based on observing  the elephant in a completely dark room...

I don't understand why people continue to state that video games look worse on consoles than PCs. They don't. Games like RDR 2 look good on a PS4 because the code is designed to match the hardware. Developers writing games for the PC do not have this luxury as the hardware and OS platform combinations are so varied. 

The same is true for XBox One. And before people get their hopes up for a new PC version of MSFS, does anybody really think that the trailer video was screen captured from some mid level PC running Windows 10? Most of us won't have the PC hardware to properly run the new sim. The new MSFS may only cost a $59.95 annual subscription. But the cost of per seat will still be in the thousands of US dollars for either a high end Windows box or somewhat less for an XBox Scarlett with VR, controllers and/or a 4K monitor (Some would say 8K).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Since we are all speculating on what an elephant looks like based on observing  the elephant in a completely dark room...

I don't understand why people continue to state that video games look worse on consoles than PCs. They don't. Games like RDR 2 look good on a PS4 because the code is designed to match the hardware. Developers writing games for the PC do not have this luxury as the hardware and OS platform combinations are so varied. 

The same is true for XBox One. And before people get their hopes up for a new PC version of MSFS, does anybody really think that the trailer video was screen captured from some mid level PC running Windows 10? Most of us won't have the PC hardware to properly run the new sim. The new MSFS may only cost a $59.95 annual subscription. But the cost of per seat will still be in the thousands of US dollars for either a high end Windows box or somewhat less for an XBox Scarlett with VR, controllers and/or a 4K monitor (Some would say 8K).

People here are basing their conclusions on consoles from the past decade, most of them don't have used consoles for decades. A current gen console can already do wonders (Xbox one X is a beast). You can even plug most of your peripherals (yokes, joysticks etc) as long as Microsoft make it compatible (what they could do for the yokes and joysticks, like they did for the steering wheels).

• Like 2

Yeah. I get the impression that most people that post at AVSIM do not even own a console. I continue the read the same false narratives about consoles that I read about electric vehicles. 

My favorite meme of late is a video of a person pulling up to a EV charging station in CA and trying to use the charger cable to put air in the car's tires. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My PC is higher end hardware than my XBox One.  Consoles are not necessarily that high end hardware wise as they are a better seamless integration of the hardware than most PCs.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

7 hours ago, vin747 said:

I don't know about the other scenes, but that one shot with the hangar doors opening and reflections on the aircraft might be ray tracing.

In current games that are beginning to support realtime ray tracing like the recent Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus, it's done selectively here and there, so it doesn't completely kill the frame rate. Flight sims will probably use the same approach, using it for aircraft cockpit and exterior reflections, water surfaces, and maybe "God rays" in clouds. Rendering the entire scene with ray tracing at 4k resolution is probably well beyond what current hardware is capable of (but will be, eventually).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

14 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I don't know about the other scenes, but that one shot with the hangar doors opening and reflections on the aircraft might be ray tracing.

In current games that are beginning to support realtime ray tracing like the recent Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus, it's done selectively here and there, so it doesn't completely kill the frame rate. Flight sims will probably use the same approach, using it for aircraft cockpit and exterior reflections, water surfaces, and maybe "God rays" in clouds. Rendering the entire scene with ray tracing at 4k resolution is probably well beyond what current hardware is capable of (but will be, eventually).

I haven't been around in a while. Did XP11 ever make the leap to that new graphics architecture they were talking about? Forgot the name.

Just now, bonchie said:

I haven't been around in a while. Did XP11 ever make the leap to that new graphics architecture they were talking about? Forgot the name.

Vulkan for Windows, Metal for Mac, replacing the current OpenGL graphics API.

Still a work in progress, with first public betas due towards the end of this year, last I heard. We may get a performance boost from it, but nothing guaranteed. Many of the advantages are on the programming side, not necessarily something we'll see on the screen,.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

7 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Vulkan for Windows, Metal for Mac, replacing the current OpenGL graphics API.

Still a work in progress, with first public betas due towards the end of this year, last I heard. We may get a performance boost from it, but nothing guaranteed. Many of the advantages are on the programming side, not necessarily something we'll see on the screen,.

There were mentions that they could expand the night lighting radius much further under Vulkan. I hope that's true.

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

Vulkan. No, but they're actively working on it. Recent updates have included various tweaks to 'get ready' for Vulkan and the dev blog has had some info on their progress. 

Vulkan won't make XP11 look like MSFS2020, it will modernize the sim's code to make it utilize hardware better, perhaps improve performance to some degree on some systems, perhaps give Laminar and 3rd party devs more freedom to develop better addons, and perhaps open the door for a more complete modernization of the graphics system at some point in the future. 

Here's an analogy, based on my uneducated opinion (not sure how accurate it is!): Vulkan is like getting new machinery and better workers in a factory. New machinery and better workers won't allow the factory to automatically make luxury goods, but it will allow them to make better versions of the goods they already make faster and more efficiently, and possibly allow the factory to diversify in the future. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

We may get a performance boost from it, but nothing guaranteed.

This looked optimistic, for AMD GPU users in particular  - from their official Twitter about a week ago

Edited by irrics

Aerofly fs2 uses since 6 months Vulkan, and it is really incredible: 120 fps in 4k, with orbx sceneries fully maxed and full autogen. 

2 hours ago, hervef said:

Aerofly fs2 uses since 6 months Vulkan, and it is really incredible: 120 fps in 4k, with orbx sceneries fully maxed and full autogen. 

yep.. but they had incredible fps even before vulkan.. wonder whats their secret sauce..

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.