Sign in to follow this  
rwcatherall

Affinity Mask

Hi Guys,

Wondering if you could advise me the the proper setting for AffinityMask.

I have i9-9900x cpu  10  core/20 thread processor. Not sure what I should change it to in P3D v4.5. Any help will be appreciated.

Robert Catherall

58 minutes ago, rwcatherall said:

Hi Guys,

I have i9-9900x cpu  10  core/20 thread processor. Not sure what I should change it to in P3D v4.5. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Rob, 

first of all thanks for all of your converted AFCAD annd scenery files for P3D!

Secondly, you are going to get a different answer regarding affinity masks depending on who you ask.

Some say, get every other program and background application off from cores 0 and 1, since P3D likes them the most. Others say get P3D off from core 0, since Windows likes putting its own applications on that.
Another group will tell you it affinity masks don't really matter as much any more since P3D v4 is better at splitting tasks over all cores.
Yet another will tell you to use Process Lasso (I subscribe to that PoV) to move other applications away from certain cores that P3D likes.
A final group will tell you to do the same using batch files.

Best bet? Try everything and sees what works best on your PC. Unfortunately, that really is the best advice, since no PC is the same and no-one can agree on the best methodology.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Another way of looking at what affinity mask is best... there are some hard and fast realities that can be useful.  For example:

Windows uses all available cores/logical processors/resources.   And does a pretty good job at that!

The first core used by P3D is the Renderer, and it does massive amounts of the simulation work!  Do you want any other application interfering with that?

The second core is the Helper, and it does just that... helps the Renderer.  If the Renderer has too much work, it has the Helper to, well, help :biggrin:.  Again, do you want any other application interfering with the all-important simulation work?

All other cores that follow the Renderer and Helper are Terrain Loaders.  P3Dv4 will use all cores available to it... and it will work all those Terrain Loaders as hard as you push it (with the graphics sliders).

Since you have ten cores, you might try assigning the simulator to 8 or 9 of your cores, and your add-ons to the remaining cores.  Windows will use everything.  Everything!

A firm rule you should follow about assigning an affinity mask for the simulator... Do so in the P3D.cfg file by adding:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=add your affinity mask here

Process Lasso can be very useful (and easy) in assigning affinity for your add-ons.  I own PL but now use batch files, target box command lines, etc. for assigning affinity to my add-ons.  As Robert mentioned, there is no right or wrong way... just the way you're comfortable with.

Good luck!  Please report back with what works best for you.  We can all learn from each other! 🥂

Greg

13 hours ago, rwcatherall said:

Hi Guys,

With your cpu you will probably find best results with no AffinityMask -- but as was said, everyone's setup is different, so try what works best for you.

You should benefit from moving apps off Core0 and Core1 though, as F737NG mentions.  I happen to use batch files for that purpose, to start ActiveSky, Chaseplane, etc. and get them off Core0 and Core1.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

If you shall have this PC for other then Flightsim and need 20 treads.

i should do 2 profiles in bios one HT off with high OC and second for ehen doing other work then run P3D.

the 9900x is a solderd better binned 7900x , as you know Rob A run his HT off an I have 2 I9 one 7920x 12c/24t and a 7980XE 18c/36t

both is great cpus that was capable to run P3D at 5-5.1 ghz HT off and disabled cores , example the 7920XE i used 10 cores 5.1ghz all cores (disabled 8cores and HT off disabled 36 treads) that was the config that worked best for me.

using 18cores/36 treads the oc was 400mhz less and a lot of heat load times was not  mesureable better then with  10cores active.

Offtopic both of this great cpus doing other work today completly outperformed by a 5.5ghz 9900k HT off.

offtopic nr2 had the opprtunoity to do a fast test for fun i know the result from other test in P3d. Asus Dominus with 96gb 4000mhz c16 cpu xenon 28c/56t it performed worse then all of this 3 cpus i7920x 7980XE until run it at 5.1ghz on 10 cores ht off (disabled 18cores and 56 treads) it didnot catch up to 9900K even with that mega amount of cashe per core that it could use.

Edited by westman
  • Upvote 1