Sign in to follow this  
Simone99

FPS and smoothing trouble

Hello everyone,

I have a continuous drop of fps after change MOBO and GPU on my system.
Mobo: FROM Gigabyte z370 d3 TO Gigabyte z390 aorus pro
Gpu: FROM Gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming TO Msi gtx 1080 armor 

A little story how i did the upgrade of pc:

1) I used the option into DDU for unistalling driver and shutdown pc (in safemode)
2) Replace MOBO and GPU
3) Install last driver (in safemode)

Also, i deleted the p3d.cfg.
I'm using some modified parameters and some extra entries:
1) DAY_THRESHOLD=42768
2) NIGHT_THRESHOLD=8096
3) TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160
4) MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=4
5) OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096
6) UIHardwareAcceleration=False    (for reshade)
7) IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=1024
8) UseGlobalTerrainView=True

Actually i have a i5 8600k no OC. (i am waiting the new PSU for OC)

So, the point is.... before the upgrade my sim is pretty smooth (30 fps in good scenery drop to 18-24 in strong scenery) but apart this, it is flyable.
Now with same cfg and same setting I don't reach 30 fps ( I am using RTSS with scanline sync x/2) and also have some drop up to 8 fps....
The scenery that i was testing is almost similar when i was using the gtx 970.

This is the screenshot of my task manager that rapresent the 2 process with high usage of CPU.
First, the WMI process is normal  (it going up 45-50% of cpu!!!) ? Second why the low usage of GPU in p3d ?
The gtx 970 was always 80-95 %, now with gtx 1080 it doesn't increase 55-60 % !!

So, i think the bad performance is the directly problem of GPU low usage and that WMI process that i didn't think see before when running p3d.

Sorry for long post and bad english.

Thanks for help me in advance.

EDIT: Because i replace both gpu and mobo i don't know the correct section on forum so i post here.

Edited by Simone99
Better information

Just now, Simone99 said:

3) TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160
4) MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=4
7) IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=1024
8) UseGlobalTerrainView=True

what do each of those do ?

14ppkc-6.png

15 minutes ago, Simone99 said:

UIHardwareAcceleration=False

There is your problem with v4.5 h1 I guess. That has to be set to true. Try it.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

38 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

what do each of those do ?

8 )By default, every camera has its own terrain view which requests texture and DEM tiles near the camera to ensure that all cameras get a quality view of terrain. It is possible for cameras to share data and avoid the extra work required to manage multiple terrain views. For multi-view scenarios in which all views are near each other, it may be desirable to have views simply render the terrain tiles loaded by the default view. Setting this option to True will prevent all camera from creating a terrain view except for the default 3D view. This can help avoid texture flashing and terrain spikes that occur on some systems with multiple views and/or multiple video cards. This value can be overridden by the UseGlobalTerrainView entry in a given CameraDefinition allowing each camera to determine whether or not to create a terrain view. This setting will be engorged if Tessellation is not enabled.

3) 
there is a bandwidth multiplier used to determine the number of textures per frame that can be streamed to the card. Increasing this might speed up texture loads at the cost of potential stutters on frames where large amounts of texture data are streamed.

4) 

7) I don't find the description. But i added it for a better visual of night light (it was recommended on black marble forum).

23 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Ok, i try it but sorry, if with my old gtx 970 it was all ok... why now with gtx 1080 (much more better in perfomance) there is a problem..
The logic is better card better performace (same setting).

That is the screenshot: https://ibb.co/yqgp4q2

Edited by Simone99

Faster GPU = lower GPU usage... not a problem.

Suggest first trying with default p3d.cfg file (without the tweaks) :smile:

Add them back, one a time if required.

WMI issue:

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/wmi-provider-host-high-cpu-usage-windows-10-creators-update.html

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/wmi-provider-host-high-cpu-usage-on-windows-10-solved/

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

46 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

28 minutes ago, Simone99 said:

Ok, i try it but sorry, if with my old gtx 970 it was all ok... why now with gtx 1080 (much more better in perfomance) there is a problem..
The logic is better card better performace (same setting).

That is the screenshot: https://ibb.co/yqgp4q2

I tried and the problem persist.
The scenery was:
LIML on runway with fair weather (day time)
Aerosoft a320 easyjet

The fps was max 27 with frequent drop to 12.
I checked task manager and there was again WMI provider host (with huge usage CPU) and for p3d process the GPU on 30-31% max usage.

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Faster GPU = lower GPU usage... not a problem.

Suggest first trying with default p3d.cfg file (without the tweaks) :smile:

Add them back, one a time if required.

WMI issue:

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/wmi-provider-host-high-cpu-usage-windows-10-creators-update.html

Yes, next or tomorrow i try a fresh cfg
First i try the GPU with some intensive game and watch the performance. If this game run well and probably better, i continue with p3d. I want exclude hardware failure.

51 minutes ago, Simone99 said:

Yes, next or tomorrow i try a fresh cfg
First i try the GPU with some intensive game and watch the performance. If this game run well and probably better, i continue with p3d. I want exclude hardware failure.

It does not sound like hardware failure, but some setting in Nvidia that you had with the old card but not with the new one.  I recommend these three Nvidia settings, set thru Nvidia inspector, but only change these three settings.  If you do not know how to use Nvidia inspector I cannot help you further given your limited English, but here goes.....

(Sync and Refresh)

Vertical Sync=Half Refresh Rate

Vertical Sync Tear Control=Adaptive

(Common)

Threaded Optimization=On

These settings may help you, especially the last one....

Nvidia Inspector can be found here:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

To get to the settings page, click the very small icon next to where it says "Driver Version" on the main page.  Also, run in Admin mode.

Driver updates during safe mode should not be needed, I recommend updating your drivers from normal Windows mode vs Safe mode, all the time.  If you use GeForce Experience you should not have to uninstall the prior drivers, GeForce experience does it for you....

GeForce Experience can be found here (you might have to register your email address if you have never used it)

https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

And do not forget to delete your shader files. I would probably uninstall the client and the reinstall it. Also with the new GPU you can set your tessellation factor to max and relieve your CPU from some work.

Good luck.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

8 hours ago, Simone99 said:

Mobo: FROM Gigabyte z370 d3 TO Gigabyte z390 aorus pro

2) Replace MOBO and GPU

Before replacing the motherboard did you remove all the previous MB's drivers?  Anytime a motherboard is replaced the cleaning of Windows and the registry of the previous motherboard's drivers is required.  The only other choice is to reinstall Windows.  Removing everything left behind for the previous motherboard came be time consuming... the registry cleaning must be done carefully.

HTH,

Greg

• Upvote 1

Uninstall and reinstall your drivers, by cleaning your graphic profiles.

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

I'd also recommend looking at cleaning up your old drivers and Windows

I did a similar upgrade (Aorus Z390 pro, RTX 2080) and decided to completely reinstall windows. 

Went from average 22fps to over 50-60

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5

i9-9900K, AORUS Z390 PRO, AORUS RTX 2080 Graphics card, G.Skill 16GB 3200 Trident Z RGB

21 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

It does not sound like hardware failure, but some setting in Nvidia that you had with the old card but not with the new one.  I recommend these three Nvidia settings, set thru Nvidia inspector, but only change these three settings.  If you do not know how to use Nvidia inspector I cannot help you further given your limited English, but here goes.....

(Sync and Refresh)

Vertical Sync=Half Refresh Rate

Vertical Sync Tear Control=Adaptive

(Common)

Threaded Optimization=On

These settings may help you, especially the last one....

Nvidia Inspector can be found here:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

To get to the settings page, click the very small icon next to where it says "Driver Version" on the main page.  Also, run in Admin mode.

Driver updates during safe mode should not be needed, I recommend updating your drivers from normal Windows mode vs Safe mode, all the time.  If you use GeForce Experience you should not have to uninstall the prior drivers, GeForce experience does it for you....

GeForce Experience can be found here (you might have to register your email address if you have never used it)

https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

No problem here.. i am using inspector with all game, but i stopped use with p3d because framelimiter cause dxgi_error_device_hung.
I will try NVI with your suggestion. Also, i use GFE all the time.

21 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

And do not forget to delete your shader files. I would probably uninstall the client and the reinstall it. Also with the new GPU you can set your tessellation factor to max and relieve your CPU from some work.

Good luck.

I cleaned the shader files and cache multiple times. Probably i reinstall client. My tesselation factor is on ultra.

14 hours ago, lownslo said:

Before replacing the motherboard did you remove all the previous MB's drivers?  Anytime a motherboard is replaced the cleaning of Windows and the registry of the previous motherboard's drivers is required.  The only other choice is to reinstall Windows.  Removing everything left behind for the previous motherboard came be time consuming... the registry cleaning must be done carefully.

HTH,

Greg

Yeah.. this is my second replace mobo. I always unistall/install the proper driver for new mobo.

14 hours ago, spitzer45 said:

Uninstall and reinstall your drivers, by cleaning your graphic profiles.

I will do it.

12 hours ago, George8295 said:

I'd also recommend looking at cleaning up your old drivers and Windows

I did a similar upgrade (Aorus Z390 pro, RTX 2080) and decided to completely reinstall windows. 

Went from average 22fps to over 50-60

I don't think the reinstall windows is the first solution. I know that resolve all problem with p3d and not, but because this is my second replace of mobo i don't think this is need now. Also i am waiting the new big update of windows.

Edited by Simone99

Nothing special.
I reinstalled p3d client and nvidia driver.
Tried the NVI settings. When i saw that dont' work i reverted back with RTSS for frame limit. I only stay with "Threaded Optimization=On".
With hardware acceleration "on" i don't have much better performance.
I have fps drop when i move the camera from cockpit to external view (especially when camera look autogen building - trees). Fps drop down to 13-20 and going up to 25-27. Not stable to 30 (but was with gtx 970).
I did only 1 flight... both takeoff and landing have very badly performance (all lag). Both of them are default airport and I was with aerosoft a320.
Tomorrow i put my gtx 970 back and see what happens.   😡🤬

Well, the reason you switched from a Z370 to a Z390 mainboard nobody needs to understand, no? Why the heck did you do that, was the Z370 broken? Usually, changing the mainboard should result in a re-installation of the operating system. Switching mainboards without re-installing the OS can work perfectly, but it is certainly not a must. I was lucky when I switched from a Z77 to a Z370, my Windows 10 installation survived and everything worked as intended afterwards, but this was pure luck, I was ready to install Windows 10 from scratch if anything would have gone wrong.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS