Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

UNICOM Traffic Announcing Take Off

I'm using MCE with P3DV4.5 standard ATC, flying VFR. It works very well with GROUND and TOWER. I still have standard ATC voice active, so when I use MCE, the standard ATC also responds with the correct VOICE announcement (request take off, acknowledge take off clearance, etc.)...sort of a double check that all is working OK.

I have trouble with non-towered airports. I do not get the standard ATC repeat of my instructions, confirming MCE and the standard ATC interface is working properly.

I tune to the correct Unicom frequency, then press and hold DEL, then say <airport> Traffic, <call sign> is taking off runway 22, departing to the south. But, I do not get the confirming standard ATC interface.

With the ATC window open, I do not see any activity choosing the menus via MCE and ATC.

So, I'm not sure if this is possible or if I am not using MCE properly...

Can I use MCE to interface with standard ATC (not PF3, etc.) when using UNICOM?

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

12 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

I'm using MCE with P3DV4.5 standard ATC, flying VFR. It works very well with GROUND and TOWER. I still have standard ATC voice active, so when I use MCE, the standard ATC also responds with the correct VOICE announcement (request take off, acknowledge take off clearance, etc.)...sort of a double check that all is working OK.

I have trouble with non-towered airports. I do not get the standard ATC repeat of my instructions, confirming MCE and the standard ATC interface is working properly.

I tune to the correct Unicom frequency, then press and hold DEL, then say <airport> Traffic, <call sign> is taking off runway 22, departing to the south. But, I do not get the confirming standard ATC interface.

With the ATC window open, I do not see any activity choosing the menus via MCE and ATC.

So, I'm not sure if this is possible or if I am not using MCE properly...

Can I use MCE to interface with standard ATC (not PF3, etc.) when using UNICOM?

Yes, you can.

MCE has access to ATC window text, therefore always accurate when selecting options.

With unattended airfields, don't expect any menu change as a result of you making a selection. That's how default ATC was built, as you aren't talking to a proper controller.

I'm guessing the reason your speech isn't accepted is because you added some unexpected verbiage at the end. Try "<airport> Traffic, <call sign> is taking off runway 22" without the rest.

There are airports that the speech engine won't pick-up easily, therefore when transmitting blind, as is the case with unattended airports, you could use

All stations, traffic information, Call-sign is taking off runway 22

Traffic call_sign is taking off runway 22

Could eventually tweak the speech grammar file to allow more flexibility.

Could you list the various messages you're transmitting, so we can check whether they are all covered, without you having to read the manual.

And not necessarily the built-in replies you hear in default ATC either, as there should be more variations allowed.

I'm using MCE version 2.7.96

Here are some of the variations I'm trying with a different airport:

Traffic Call-Sign, is taking off runway three

All stations, traffic information, call-sign is taking off runway 3

Unicom traffic, call-sign is taking off runway 3

I still do not get any response from native ATC when using any of the phrases above.  I also have SHOW FS COMMANDS in FS enabled, but I do not see any of my variations above displayed when I say them.

MCE does recognize other commands and displays them in red such as Whats my call sign, whats our altitude, etc.

MCE also recognizes commands to CENTER, such as request flight following, acknowledging squawk codes, etc. So, I believe MCE is generally working OK.

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

An update...

My flight plan is KLND TUVOC 46U

When I approach 46U then I use commands such as SHOW ATC, OPTION 1, OPTION 3, etc. and choose the correct runway via the native ATC menu, then MCE starts to interact with native ATC and repeat (confirm) my commands.

So...

Traffic, call-sign entering downwind runway 31

Traffic, call-sign on base runway 31

I would like to use

Traffic, call-sign turning base runway 31

MCE/Native ATC also recognized

Traffic, call-sign on Final runway 31

The key seemed to be that I 'manually' chose the correct runway in the native ATC window, then the interaction between MCE and NATIVE ATC worked OK (when landing).

A bit more...

If I manually choose the correct runway for take-off via the native ATC menu, then my MCE voice commands interact correctly and native ATC repeats my commands correctly.

So, the key seems to be that I manually choose the airport, then the runway before interacting between MCE and native ATC.

NOTE: When I click ATC in the MCE menu, the VHF contact displays alpine multicom (in my case), so MCE/Native ATC appears to know I'm at the correct airport.

Not a problem, just good to know how it works...

Thinking about this a bit more, the other key is to simply use TRAFFIC and not include the airport code or name.

Also, with an active TOWER, they will tell me which runway to use.

With UNICOM, I have to manually choose which runway to use, then everything starts to work. So, I have to go one step deeper in the menu with UNICOM.

Edited by flyblueskies

2 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

A bit more...

If I manually choose the correct runway for take-off via the native ATC menu, then my MCE voice commands interact correctly and native ATC repeats my commands correctly.

So, the key seems to be that I manually choose the airport, then the runway before interacting between MCE and native ATC.

NOTE: When I click ATC in the MCE menu, the VHF contact displays alpine multicom (in my case), so MCE/Native ATC appears to know I'm at the correct airport.

Not a problem, just good to know how it works...

Thinking about this a bit more, the other key is to simply use TRAFFIC and not include the airport code or name.

Also, with an active TOWER, they will tell me which runway to use.

With UNICOM, I have to manually choose which runway to use, then everything starts to work. So, I have to go one step deeper in the menu with UNICOM.

That's right.

Items between brackets are considered options to be manually selected, not invitation to transmit proper ATC messages.

With some options that don't include runway designators, you could just speak the option aloud without pressing PTT.

Examples:

[ 3 - Turn On Progressive Taxi ], speak "turn on progressive taxi"

[ Taxi for Takeoff Options . . . ], speak "taxi for takeoff options"

MCE keeps a tab on the ATC text (options) and will only select one when it makes sense.

For instance, if you request takeoff clearance with towered airports, it's not a case of sending key 2 and hoping for the best.

More like, is there an option "Request takeoff clearance from...". If it's not there, your speech will be ignored.

It's also why it's possible to transmit "Heathrow ground, KLM 237 is ready for taxi", "Geneva tower Lufthansa 127 standing by for takeoff", with "center name" being fetched and fed to the speech engine dynamically so it can be easily recognized. The alternative,putting 25000 airport names in speech grammar would not only bloat it, but also won't be reliable at all.

Thank you Gerald,

I appreciate the explanation and greatly helps my understanding.

11 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

Thank you Gerald,

I appreciate the explanation and greatly helps my understanding.

You're welcome.

And if you find yourself in a scenario where no menu selection is made, ensure MCE has the latest options by asking FO "confirm ATC options".

They will be read aloud to you.