Sign in to follow this  
regis9

After a bit of soak time and some patches, how is it?

I understand it’s not on the same caliber as the other big turboprop, the majestic q400, but can it get me from A to B with minimal frustration/bugs?  I’ve always wanted an ATR but I’be found other carenado regional airliners (ie B1900) frustrating to me when things don’t work they way they should and end up as hanger queens.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

What doesn't work on the 1900 when flying from A to B? It's still my favourite turboprop...

It’s been a while since I’ve flown it so I’m going off memory but in general i always had autopilot issues.  The biggest one that I remember is I could never intercept a localizer/glide slope.  I also recall challenges following the flightplan and with climb modes.

Contrast that to the xplane version and it’s night and day as the systems and flight dynamics are done by another company.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I bought the Carenado A42 500 recently and on the whole find it a pleasant aircraft to fly.

As always it looks great, but there are some fairly minor problems with some of the systems.

By default it comes with a FMS driven autopilot and it didn't seem to word. I couldn't get to grips with it and had to fly using the HDG option for each leg rather than NAV. This may have been my problem more than the aircraft but old age is making me lazy!

However it does come with an option to use GTN750 and when I converted mine to that the autopilot worked perfectly.

I also have had some initial problems moving from autopilot to manual control where a part of the  right side ailerons has got stuck in the up positions and the plane become uncontrollable and with the inevitable result is the plane crashed. I reported this to Carenado and they are looking at it. However I do have to say that for the last couple of flights it has worked well with no crashes! The review that Carenado has on the ATR webpage mentions a problem with real ATR 42's and says that it might have something to do with the ailerons and that as a result ATR's are mostly used in warm countries which might suggest something to do with icing. Because this is a possibility - though how Carenado could have simulated it I don't know - I have kept  a close watch on outside air temperature during climb and descent and have also used a stepped climb and descent system allowing temperature changes to take effect. I can't understand why this works in a simulatio but it does - at least on my system!

To sum up - now I've got the GTN750 installed I am happy with this plane. I've added in a camera to allow me to see the top of the wing to inspect it before turning off the AP to ensure that the panel is not up.

Have fun

Malcolm Wright

6 hours ago, regis9 said:

The biggest one that I remember is I could never intercept a localizer/glide slope. 

Contrast that to the xplane version and it’s night and day as the systems and flight dynamics are done by another company.

No problems with the ILS, and you are right concerning the FDE. It's miles better than the flight dynamics from their x-plane 1900.