Sign in to follow this  
wardp

Aircraft Leasing

Jet2 are leasing A320, A321 and an A330, most if not all from Smart Lynx. I have recently been on the Smart Lynx A320 from EGNM to LIPX and I was wondering what call sign they used. Would it be the Jet2 callsign, Channex or the Smart Lynx callsign which I've several including Smart Lynx and Tallin Cat.

Does the insignia of the aircraft have any bearing on this, the outbound flight the A320 was in full Smart Lynx colours (ES-SAM) while the return flight the aircraft was plain white (ES-SAQ).

Thanks

Phil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

At least one Jet2 A330 is leased from Air Tanker according to one of their DMs, who I was talking to the other week. He told me that, unlike when Thomas Cook leased that same A330 last year just for the summer period from Air Tanker, Jet2 will be keeping an A330 on their roster longer-term after the summer schedules finish. So it is possible it will receive a more Jet2-ish livery although to be honest it looks okay just white with red Jet2 lettering. I know they've got a lot of AKEs all liveried up in Jet2 signage because I saw them the other day in the T1 bag hall at Manchester. I guess that means they'll probably be taking on their own A330 crews, so one assumes it means it will have a Jet2 callsign.

I'll listen out for it on the ground frequency radios in our tugs at work and see what they call them, or if I come across one of their TCOs - I know a few of them -  I'll ask them about it for you. But Jet2 aircraft do not really need callsigns to identify them at EGCC, since you can tell them a mile off by the stupid speeds they taxi at and the even more irresponsible speeds which some of their rampies tow them at lol. Seriously, I saw one of their clowns towing a 737 onto Stand 67 at Manchester, and when he turned onto the Stand's centreline he was going so fast it looked like he was trying to Tokyo Drift the thing into position.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

A well known airline nearly had an 747 wrote off during a C check by haeco in in HKG a few months ago.

Haeco where towing it too quick around a bend  the tow bar twisted and snapped and the a/c ran over the tug.   The brake man on board was not 🎤 to the tug driver so didn't put the brakes

The forward gear lodged  in the tug where the driver was It also took one of the engines out and had to be throughly xrayed for damage. 

Total cost was around 6 million plus lost revenue.  Ruling by ICAO is the max you can sue a handler or engineer for is 2 million usd max

44670.jpg

44669.jpg

44668.jpg

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

This is precisely why you are supposed to have two people in the tug when towing, and it is also why you don't tow at full throttle. The correct procedure is:

One person in the tug drives the tug, the other person in the tug is on a headset connected to the aircraft and watches the towbar, this person also helps keep a lookout for other possible hazards; if the towbar shear pins break, the guy in the cab on the headset will therefore see them go and will give the call: 'X-Ray, X-Ray, X-Ray'. This headset call tells the brake rider in the cockpit to apply the brakes so the aeroplane does not overrun the tug, the guy driving the tug, upon hearing the guy next to him in the cab give the 'X-Ray' call, will floor the accelerator to get the tug out of the way as an additional precaution in case the guy in the cockpit misses the call. The tug will easily get clear if you are not towing at full tilt (and that's exactly why you keep some speed in reserve when towing and don't tow at full speed). The plug on the headset which connects to the socket on the main lead wire connected to the aeroplane will yank out, and that's its purpose.

If that tow crew had been doing it that way, there would have been no problem and this incident would not have occurred. We don't see everyone at Manchester do it this way, but it's the way we always do it. As a result we've never had any dangerous issues or collisions on our tows in spite of having had shear pins go (two broke last week in fact with people at our company, because that is what they are designed to do). It's worth noting that it wasn't any of our crew who had shear pins go though, because we tow at a sensible speed and we have literally never had a shear pin break on us, ever, but should it happen, as it may do one day, we'll be ready for it.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Ahhhh ..If only Blackpool airport was active with non-GA (I live near the Forest of Bowland so a Manchester daily commute would suck spherical objects.. I'd like to switch careers, not to have a multi-million dollar plane embedded in the back of my head you understand, but to have an aviation involvement and a job on more than minimum wage (possibly not much more, but hey..:cool: ).

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)