Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

​​​​​​​What aircraft of yore are you missing ?

5 hours ago, Alan_A said:

If we're talking about past flight simulator aircraft, as opposed to just past aircraft, then I'll put in a word for some of the really old, really classic RealAirs - the Siai-Marchetti SF 260 and the Citabria/Champ package. I logged hundreds of hours in those - they were really special, and I'd love to have a contemporary version. The Aeroplane Heaven Cessna 140 is very nicely done, and comes close to the Champ experience (but I'd still like to see a revival).  There's nothing that fully takes the place of the Marchetti.  Anyone?

Yes I was thinking of past FS aircraft more than aircraft of the past..

What a  great aircraft ! I loved the Sf-260 because of Rob Young's excellent FDE more than for the aircraft itself though. Sporster are not my thing.I am not sure  I would buy it again now from another developer.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, domkle said:

Sporster are not my thing.I am not sure  I would buy it again now from another developer.

I might not - as I mentioned in another thread, I'm gravitating away from GA these days and toward airliners. But on the other hand - airplanes like the Marchetti were never really my thing.  I prefer airplanes that don't want to kill me. But it was so well done that I made a happy exception to the rule, and if there was a modern equivalent that was just as good, it's possible I could do the same.

Boeing B-52 (B-F)

Boeing B-52 (G-H)

Boeing KC-135 (A, E, R)

Boeing B707 (100, 200, 300, 400)

Boeing B727 (100, 200) - already mentioned

Convair 880

Convair 990

de Havelland Comet (all)

Just not enough of the "classic" jets today, with so many duplicates of current ones.

Bill

Hawker Siddeley Trident (all variants).

Here's a good explanation why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZWtTLZJBI

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

9 hours ago, Alan_A said:

I might not - as I mentioned in another thread, I'm gravitating away from GA these days and toward airliners. But on the other hand - airplanes like the Marchetti were never really my thing.  I prefer airplanes that don't want to kill me. But it was so well done that I made a happy exception to the rule, and if there was a modern equivalent that was just as good, it's possible I could do the same.

This is why I love warbirds ! They try to kill you. Look at the T6 that I fly extensively these days. You miss your glide and 3-point and you are in a lot of trouble ! For the 51, the issue is in the take off and having your ailerons right. No sloppiness allowed. Maybe the 260 was a little too sedate for me 😄 !

Airliners, I try from time to time (last one was the 732 from Milviz). I was tempted by the Aeorosft Dc-8 . But the long preflight planning and the not-much-to-do between TO and landing bring me to WB and GA.  For modern aircraft, the concept of a FMC has no appeal to me. 

Maybe in fs2020 ...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 hours ago, F737NG said:

Hawker Siddeley Trident (all variants).

Here's a good explanation why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZWtTLZJBI

David Maltby ! I loved his planes !

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Beechcraft Starship

Realair SF 260

Piaggio P180 Avanti

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

12 hours ago, domkle said:

This is why I love warbirds ! They try to kill you.

Oh, I agree - I've logged hundreds of hours of near-death experiences thanks to A2A and others.  But figured it was time to branch out.

Which - back on topic - leads me to ask: are there old FS airliners that people would love to see updated?  Or is this an airliner golden age? I'm guessing that a couple of years ago, there might have been demand for an updated Maddog, but now that we've got that... any others?

EDIT: Noting that the Trident is already on the list...

Edited by Alan_A

1 hour ago, Alan_A said:

Oh, I agree - I've logged hundreds of hours of near-death experiences thanks to A2A and others.  But figured it was time to branch out.

Which - back on topic - leads me to ask: are there old FS airliners that people would love to see updated?  Or is this an airliner golden age? I'm guessing that a couple of years ago, there might have been demand for an updated Maddog, but now that we've got that... any others?

EDIT: Noting that the Trident is already on the list...

In my original post, I mentioned the DH 88 but there is another famous Comet in the FS history

http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/dh106_comet.htm

The AS DC-8 seems nice enough.  Do you rather fly modern airliners à la PMDG ?

Dominique

9 hours ago, domkle said:

The AS DC-8 seems nice enough.  Do you rather fly modern airliners à la PMDG ?

Currently focusing on the NGX since it's a good learning platform - just automated enough to help you out, but sufficiently manual that you're forced to learn the operating paradigm.  It reminds me of how the A2A P-47 taught me to manage radial engines, since there were consequences and nobody to help you avoid them.

I may wind up back at the DC-8, which is the kind of airliner I grew up with (I spent childhood summers not far from JFK, so 60s airliners were really my starting point).  I'm reading up on the Maddog, which is later and somewhat automated, but still really characterful.

About workload - PMDG doesn't get a lot of credit for this but they offer a lot of nice convenience options, like fuel and payload presets.  Also, there's no need to obsess over cold-and-dark - the short-turn state is realistic for a lot of my local airlines, like Southwest.  On the other hand, there's plenty of opportunity to override the automation, especially here on the US East Coast, where it's pretty standard to be vectored off the STAR, especially when it gets hectic.  So it's almost like real flying.

Ah, talking about this, I just remembered another missing MSFS airplane - the Dreamfleet 727.  I wasn't doing airliners back then but it had a really devoted following.  An up-to-date revival would get my attention.

• Like 1