Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

VR for exercise

Although I wanted to try XP11 and ATS in VR,  my main reason for getting a Rift S was to try and get myself off my feet and moving a bit more.  I bought a game called Racket:Nx and its a lot of fun.  I bought Space Pirate Trainer and it too is fun but I have a tremor and shooting things is near impossible.

I'm looking for recommendations on moderate exercise games.  I am seriously considering Beta Saber and First Person tennis and maybe a ping pong game.  I've seen a line dancing game that may come out eventually.  There was even a Tai Chi instructional 'game' but user reports made me shy away from that.

So..are there games you have played that you enjoy quite a bit and are worth their money?  I'm surprised Beat Saber is $30.00.  I need to spend my money wisely so I thought Id ask.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Well, for what its worth Beat Saber is on heck of a work out. If you let out your inner child and really get moving to the beat you can and will loose weight. There is a guy, who has since lost 200 pounds using pretty much beat saber. 

Here is the article: https://www.vrfitnessinsider.com/robert-long-looses-138-pounds-playing-beat-saber-and-hes-still-going/

They have mentioned other game that can do the same thing but they are mainly boxing games. I own Beat Saber though, and yes....30 mins of just that can be a really good work out.

I can recommend First Person Tennis. I play it all the time. Very realistic representation of tennis, especially in "simulation" mode. Just turn off the ball trail. 

Thank you both.  I'll get both Beat Saber and First Person Tennis.  Im a bit worried Ill cremate my ceiling fan.  every room in my house has them.  This VR stuff is really great.  the Racket:Nx is a 360 degree handball kind of game that feels a bit sluggish honestly.  The ball is larger and travels slower than I'd like and the physics seem off but Im still new to it so it s probably just me.

I would love to see some of the medical universities and institutes develop VR Tai Chi programs that are free for anyone.  My neurologists were always suggesting meditation and Tai Chi so I think they should do that.

EDIT (after just finishing an hour long run with Racket:Nx in Arcade mode):  I feel like what I said before may discourage some people but its a tremendous game/workout.  i was playing in "Arcade/Zen" mode and its well worth whatever I paid for it.

Edited by sightseer

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Excellent thread!  Hey, would Oculus quest (no PC, no cables) be a reasonable choice for beat saber & other exercise / move apps? 

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

23 hours ago, joby33y said:

Excellent thread!  Hey, would Oculus quest (no PC, no cables) be a reasonable choice for beat saber & other exercise / move apps? 

I don't know.  I expect it would be a better choice but I went with the tied down version so i could play my PC games.

maybe someone else would chime in on that.

Make sure the quest has the game you want. It apparently won't be completely the same as for the Rift. 

Also, by necessity, the quest will perform less efficiently than the Rift with no pc driving it.