Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Backup Textures and Shaders

Hi mates,

I'm going to buy a sky/clouds/water textures set (Envtex) and a shader modifier (Envshade).

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area...

In case things go wrong *, which P3DV4.4 folders should I backup?

I've thought about:

\Prepar3D v4\ShadersHLSL

\Prepar3D v4\Texture

I'm good?

* I read that Envtex and Envshade are not easy to uninstall or can create problems. Also Aerosoft and PMDG do not recommend the use of shaders of addons that modify the 'core' of P3D.

- TONY -

As far as I know: \Prepar3D v4\ShadersHLSL for EnvShade
At least that is what I do backup.

Backing your whole texture folder is maybe a bit of an overkill, also other devs copy/overwrite texture files.
Besides that, EnvShave and EnvTex should create backups for you.

• Like 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Also Aerosoft and PMDG do not recommend the use of shaders of addons that modify the 'core' of P3D.

Not sure what they mean with that. Probably the shaders (if any) that are responsible for rendering the virtual cockpit.
But as long you have a back up, you always can revert to the default set.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

You can also reinstall the client and get the original back..That’s what I do.

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I am not so sure if that will give the textures back. The shaders are working but the textures should be in the P3D content. So I thought you would need to reinstall the content. Cheers Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

16 hours ago, Simicro said:

Also Aerosoft and PMDG do not recommend the use of shaders of addons that modify the 'core' of P3D.

This they only state due to the fact that some users use a shader mod that changes the appearance of the virtual cockpit and then those users head to PMDG or Aerosoft and complain about the looks of their VC. That's it.

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks Chris. Do you know if ENVTEX + ENVSHADE change the appearance of the virtual cockpit?

- TONY -

It certainly can change it, yes, but all depends on the settings you use or the preset you load. I am totally happy with my PTA preset that I use along with the dynamic changes done by Environment Force. But I also do not take it as a huge issue if the mangenta of the Airbus VC is not anymore exactly mangenta but maybe a little bit more greenish, reddish or blueish. Details I do not care that much, as long as the colouring is not totally off...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Backing up the shaders\HLSL folder in the root of the sim will easily allow restoring from an mod that goes wrong.  I like EnvTex but not EnvShade and their ‘undo’ needs work.  

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating