Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

MS Head of Consumer Engagement Job Ad - Mentions FS

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1312655820/

"At Xbox Games Publishing, we are hard at work continuing the great legacy of Flight Simulator. We are a passionate group responsible for this amazing franchise, and we are looking for an experienced and engaging colleague to expand and lead our Community Team and look after a wonderful community of millions of players."

"Build Microsoft Flight Simulator into a best-in-class brand presence that supports, entertains, and retains our community wherever they are, speaks as the voice of the franchise to the community (and vice-versa), and creates new opportunities for hobbyists, newcomers, and all types of fans to engage more deeply with the franchise."

"Partner with the development team to ensure our consumers’ feedback is heard."

"Some travel required to represent the Flight Simulator team and support our global audience of players."

------------------------------------------------------

Interesting no?  They posted the job ad today.  Looks like they are going to bring someone on for $95k-$115k (according to LinkedIn Salary Estimator) a year just to be the face of Flight Simulator.

• Like 3

Applying.

Ridiculously unqualified to do so. But applying anyway.

It's worth a shot ain't it?

After all, what could possibly go wrong?

I love you all. I'm going in to the belly of the beast and have submitted initial application documents.

Edited by Guest

Interesting.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

That is interesting. I am guessing they have a lot of work yet to do before we see a release. I don't think we will have much in the way of details for many months. After reading Forums for years, I can not imagine anyone wanting that job!! It can be the best Sim ever and you are going to get beat up daily!! LOL Sounds like a nice paycheck but not even the Greek God of Flight Sims will be able to protect you. Yee hath been warned!! LOL

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, ganter said:

Applying.

It's worth a shot ain't it?

If you fancy it then yes, it is worth a shot, and no, I don't think you are underqualified and I'll tell you why too:

I would hope they'd be smart enough to understand that someone will in fact be ideally qualified for the role if they are already an active and passionate member of the flight sim community; some decent communications skills will help of course but if not, this can be addressed. This as opposed to some 'suit' who is primarily a PR person (and trust me, I've come across plenty of those who actually don't have very good PR skills), but with no passion for the subject at hand.

Too many times I've seen people of that latter ilk become a project's community connection person and they almost always lack the ability to do the job properly; you can teach someone the necessary comms skills as long as they're reasonably intelligent (I've done this many times in fact), but you can't shoehorn enthusiasm and passion for a subject into someone; that part has to be there already.

If it wasn't a US-based role (which one assumes it will be) I'd give it a whirl myself, but I wouldn't want to up sticks.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hey!

You did not copy the whole ad. The end of it answers our main concerns here :)

• Coordinate with internal and external partner teams to produce high-quality experiences to support announcements, product launches, and other important beats.
  • Work closely with internal and external customer support teams and development teams to help resolve issues players are experiencing.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

2 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

"Some travel required..."

Shudder.

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

4 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Shudder.

Oh come on Hook,

x

1 minute ago, ganter said:

Oh come on Hook,

😄

I've had all the job related travel I care to in my lifetime. 🙂

Only once was it fun.  I accompanied my boss from Washington D.C to San Francisco, flying first class, and we stayed in one of the top hotels in the city.  The customer heard where we were staying and remarked, "You don't go second class, do you?"  Boss replied, "I find it doesn't pay."

Otherwise it's dealing with airport security, flying business class at best, renting cars, living in hotels out of a bag, eating restaurant food on a budget.  Probably have to carry a computer and peripherals.  Hope you can spend at least one weekend a month at home, although you may be home every weekend if things are close.

Ever crossed the Atlantic in a plane? 😄

Um, thanks anyway.  Good luck to whoever gets the job.  Try hard to stay positive about it.  And enjoy getting early access to the flight sim, AND getting paid for it. 🙂

Hook

Larry Hookins

I've traveled a huge amount in my career both private a/c and airlines and I sure wouldn't want to get back into it today.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

3 hours ago, ganter said:

OK, I originally thought this said "overqualified" which was more believable that "unqualified." 😄

Best of luck.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Perhaps everyone could just chill out and relax a little bit.

Then we can get back to Normal.

It's just MS doing another Simulator. No need for everyone to lose their "word not allowed" Miiiiiiiinds!

(Especially if I get the job - that's the first thing I'm going to address; Hysteria. It has no place in a practical simulator - if the simulator is to be of use in RW - or not RW)

Hook; you're hired as Scenery Consultant.  "Make it real"

Chock: I want it to be better than GSX - not difficult. DO IT!

All those guys who hide in daylight? (you know who you are); Yep, you're on the FDE's - make those planes fly REAL. Real REAL!

I'm going to put a kick "word not allowed" team together on this. If you want in now's the time to clock in.

Sign Below...

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ganter said:

Hook; you're hired as Scenery Consultant.  "Make it real"

I'm a coder!  What the heck do I know about scenery? 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

At first I was wondering why this person had not already been hired to field questions right after the announcement, or in the near future, and already be reading about the flight simulation community to kind of get used to how passionate the community is? Than I remembered the internet existed, and will go to all links to find information either on purpose or by accident. A change of service terms document, something posted to early, etc.. Cause I tell you what, looks like NO ONE knew this was coming but a few Microsoft employees. Was there a single Flight Simulator news outlet, or Flight Simulator YouTube person at this years E3? I have not found evidence of that yet. But guess what? Next year there will be. And since the info is out there Microsoft Flight Simulator, after the Community Manager(s) are hired should show up at the Flight Simulator conferences too I guess. But E3 is a World Wide Event. So who knows? 

As for the NEW Community Manager for Microsoft Flight Simulation and it's team.

As Mr. T would say, " I pity the Fool " or should I say " I pity the person(s) " in 2019! Either way best of luck to them. I don't think there is enough money to pay a person for that job.

MAYBE it will be released at E3 in 2020. Where there is once again a world wide audience. This is pure speculation, cause I actually figure Fall 2020 for the holidays, if it's actually released in 2020.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ