Sign in to follow this  
Paraffin

New "Live" X-Plane Usage Data Dashboard

The Laminar devs have changed how they do the automated opt-in user data collection. Instead of manually sorting through and posting it once a year, it's now automated and updated daily. Here's the link, some interesting info here:

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Interesting!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Nice to know LPPT is in the rank of the Top Departures 🙂 even if down in the list ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I noticed there isn't quite as much info in this new format as they had in the yearly reports, where you could download the raw data. They used to show flight controller, where something like 25% of users were flying XP with only a mouse and keyboard. I was curious to see if that changed, but it's not listed here. 

Pretty interesting data.

I would like to see the mouse+keyboard usage, since i remember from the old surveys that it was quite relevant.

Edited by france89

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'd also be very interested to see what regions people fly in the most and a list of top addon airports.

The default list of airports is interesting although I'd probably put KSEA further down (it's the default airport in the demo, so it's going to have inflated numbers). I was amazed to see EPWA Warsaw as quite popular, this surprised me

The number of VR users is pretty low considering all the effort LR are putting into it, almost as small as the group who use Linux

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

I'd also be very interested to see what regions people fly in the most and a list of top addon airports.

The default list of airports is interesting although I'd probably put KSEA further down (it's the default airport in the demo, so it's going to have inflated numbers). I was amazed to see EPWA Warsaw as quite popular, this surprised me

The number of VR users is pretty low considering all the effort LR are putting into it, almost as small as the group who use Linux

Which begs me to ask should they not be putting more resources into other area's.

39 minutes ago, Glenn_C said:

Which begs me to ask should they not be putting more resources into other area's.

The person working on VR support at Laminar isn't necessarily someone who could quickly change hats and work on things that are getting more user requests like ATC, or a better weather engine.

Besides, even though I don't use VR myself (I'm waiting for resolution improvements), I like that Laminar is investing in the future. We don't know how popular VR will eventually be, but "immersion" has always been the goal of flight sims. It's why people build simpits with mulltiple monitors, and VR is one heck of a way to boost immersion at less cost than many of those multi-monitor rigs.

So I think it's great that at least some resources are going into it, even if I'm not ready to take advantage of it myself. 

• Upvote 1

It surprised me that so few actually use VR headsets. In the different forums I read there is a lot about VR, and many rerquests for better VR integration.

Personally I will never use it, do not like to be shut off from the real world. When I play my flightsims, I also take a look on the real world outside my windows.

It is interesting to see the use statistics.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

3 hours ago, Vindeballe said:

It surprised me that so few actually use VR headsets. In the different forums I read there is a lot about VR, and many rerquests for better VR integration.

Personally I will never use it, do not like to be shut off from the real world. When I play my flightsims, I also take a look on the real world outside my windows.

Take into account this information is xp11 lifetime, VR was not even available. It doesn't tell how much users base % use VR lets say by the last 6 months or so. 

The information presented as is doesn't tell latest trends

Manuel Merelles

2 hours ago, mmerelles said:

Take into account this information is xp11 lifetime, VR was not even available. It doesn't tell how much users base % use VR lets say by the last 6 months or so. 

The information presented as is doesn't tell latest trends

Except Tyler himself explains that VR data is from when 11.20 became available.
And the VR chart is titled, Users Who Have Flown in VR in 2019

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vindeballe said:

Actually i wasnt surprised at all, but I agree, I dont like being shut out from the real world, which is why you wont find me with earphones plugged in my ears 24/7, if at all.