Sign in to follow this  
MD83

Wadaya think?

Guest tdragger

Okay folks, not that I'm poking around in the code or anthing, but...How many of you use the weather dialogs (real-world download, custom/advanced weather) to get or set information? Have you ever noticed anything about the way FS handles wind direction (true vs. magnetic)? Does it matter to you whether FS uses one or the other?

Hi,I/we get quite a few: "Why doesn't my wind directions match up to the Shift/Z display?" type questions. Seeing that we are always using true direction I would like to see true be used.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6...development.jpg http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-proud.jpg

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

Guest christian

I do, but I have to admit I find the interface somewhat clunky. Probably, you'll want to shoot me for a comment like this, as it's not very helpful/too general, but to be honest I can't tell you really what's 'wrong' with it - just that it isn't very intuitive for checking weather (my opinion). I'd have to sit down for a few hours to come up with some ideas for a better interface.To answer your specific question, I'd stick to what the weather frogs do - either you want to learn how to fly and or you don't, but again that's my opinion.Christian

rarely. I run a 3rd party weather tool which gives me METARs either scrolling across my screen or as an audio feed through COM2.Far more convenient that way.I did experiment with it at times to set specific weather for practice runs and found the whole thing to be a bit clunky (as was mentioned) but servicable for occasional use.

Guest garwig2

99% of the time I fly with real world weather with updates, so I mostly use that dialog to set that weather setting. Even though it remembers my last setting, I go into the dialog before starting every flight so that it will download the weather now instead of starting the flight and then downloading the weather. I don't use the dialog to get info, instead I go to http://adds.aviationweather.gov/ to get more detailed info (including METARS and winds aloft info, which I don't think I can get within the sim). As for true vs. magnetic, I haven't noticed how it is in FS04, but I'd prefer it if you would use whichever is used in the real world. (I believe airport info is magnetic, but info for a larger area is true??)-Gary Letona

Guest Badger

Hi tdSorry, I stuck with what I knew best and went with my third party software that I've used for years, mainly due to what I think (IMO) is a better system using FSUIPC.I've only ever glanced at the weather system in FS. I don't think I've even downloaded weather using it.RegardsMark

Guest Bell206freak

I use the weather dialogs all the time, and I've been somewhat satisfied by the real-world weather downloads.I do, however, prefer wind direction being displayed by true direction rather than magnetic, especially when flying helicopters in Flight Simulator. It helps when taking off to enter ETL before entering straight-and-level flight.

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Hi Mike,I use the dialogues all the time. Like a lot of people, I like to use the Real Weather downloads, but that doesn't always suit my needs. So, a lot of the time, I like to set my own weather. I like experimenting with the cloud heights and coverages to get some of the unique cloud formations that came stock with the program. There's a lot of cloud types that you just don't see when using the "Fair Weather" scenario. As far as wind handling, I'd like to see surface winds in magnetic and winds aloft in true, as it is in the real world. I've always assumed that this is how FS handled it...guess I better take another look.I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but I'm sure you were expecting them anyway...so here's mine:1) I'd love to be able to set weather independent of the reporting stations. For instance, I'd like to have a nice big (full screen) map upon which I can annotate weather features. I'd like to be able to place low pressure systems, fronts, and other large scale features. 2) Give us a better look at what the weather is doing. I'd love to be able to display winds aloft data at various altitudes.3) I'd also love to see a radar display that will show me precipitation, intensities, and echo tops. It would be even better if we could loop the data and get a realistic radar history.I know you don't like long posts, so I'll leave it at that.Thanks for taking the time to ask our opinions. Regards,Nick

I use them all the time. Sometimes RW and sometimes just whatever I feel like setting. I have a couple of the more popular weather add-ons that I don't use much but I guess I'm just not a RW-weather type guy. I find the internal FS9 dialogs meet my needs (but I'm also one of the few that likes the default C172 panel :-) ). If I had a choice on the wind direction I'd opt for magnetic on the ground and true aloft.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest tdragger

<>FS doesn't do this, as it happens. It's easy to have it one way or the other. That's why I asked the question. So, if you couldn't have it split like you want, and had to choose true or magnetic, which would you prefer?

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there,this reply is from the dim one in the corner. I had no idea there were two sorts of wind(!). Sometimes I change the direction when ATC offers a runway I don't want and as I get to understand a little bit more about the sim I do use the 'advanced' weather a bit more, but it is awkward to use and often the info I dial in doesn't seem to show on the screen when flying.I would like to do more with it.Andy.edit: I don't have any weather add-ons.

Sometimes but most of the time using 3 party software weather tool which uses true direction :-)Andr

André

Guest EdrickV

Can't say I have noticed any difference in wind direction, but in my opinion it would make the most sense to have it use the same system used to chose runway identifiers. That said, I have a habit of landing any way I want, anywhere I want, regardless of the wind. Unless I'm on a BFU job or actually trying to fly realistically. I've been known to do tailwind landings, not to mention trying to land various bush planes (or helicopters) on the sides of mountains, building rooftops, or bridges. Though the bridges really date back to my FUII days since the bridges in flight sim aren't really landable in my experience. :)I do use updating real weather most of the time, and when I'm not I generally use a weather theme. Making custom weather in FS9, in my experience, takes too long when I want to just go fly. :)As an aside, I have at times noticed a difference between the current METAR and the actual FS9 real weather. I can only assume this is due to the weather data at Jeppensen not being updated as often."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

As I understand rwy designators, ILS courses, VOR radials, direction info in aeronautical charts etc., etc. are all in magnetic. Also most avionics use magnetic heading. For all those reasons I would like to see wind directions also in magnetic. True would be too confusing.Wolfgang

ICAO Annex 5 says that wind direction for takeoff and landing is magnetic and true otherwise. If we can't have both, I'd prefer magnetic because that's more important for takeoff and landing.